CCTV HQ - Beijing

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

CCTV HQ - Beijing

#1 Post by AG » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:33 am

If you think you've seen some ambitious and daring projects before, think again, below is what will be the world's second largest building by usable space with a few twists and overhangs. It is also 234m high with the overhang being over 200m above ground.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: CCTV HQ - Beijing

#2 Post by Wayno » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:38 am

I visit shanghai & beijing for work and you should see how fast these building get erected. 24/7 construction. There's also extra urgency coz they want the skyline to be perfect (no cranes/construction/trucks in the city) during the olympics...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Edgar » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:39 am

WOW.

Not wow at the appearance which seems rather bland, but WOW at the architectural design of the building!

The poles and vertical structures of the buildings are tilt? How did that work?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:41 pm

Edgar wrote:The poles and vertical structures of the buildings are tilt? How did that work?
I haven't thought this through completely but at first glance, the downward force on the tilled structure would be translated into horizontal force to help support the overhanging section?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AG » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:35 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Edgar wrote:The poles and vertical structures of the buildings are tilt? How did that work?
I haven't thought this through completely but at first glance, the downward force on the tilled structure would be translated into horizontal force to help support the overhanging section?
To put it simply, some structural members are acting in tension while others are acting in compression. The diagonal members help translate the horizontal forces of the horizontal members into the vertical supports. One way to think of the building is to think of it as two separate buildings joined by a corner at the top, the bending moment acting on each half cancels the other out which prevents it from bending over.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Edgar » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:51 pm

call it physics and possible on scaled model, but who would have thought it can actually be built, at over 200m!
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#7 Post by Pistol » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:53 pm

Truly impressive. I remember seeing on tv that they had to wait for the perfect day (weather, wind etc.) before they could join the two sections together.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Hippodamus
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by Hippodamus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:24 pm

bold. impressive. a truly unique piece of modern architecture.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Wayno » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:25 pm

I'm in beijing this week with the CCTV HQ building next door to my hotel. Quite a stunning structure! not illuminated at night yet. I'll endevour to wander over closer during the week and get some close up snaps.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:05 pm

glued together 5 photos to show the view from my beijing hotel room...quite impressive.
2008-09-27 012.jpg
2008-09-27 012.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 3230 times

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#11 Post by Wayno » Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:10 pm

i also wandered over close to the CCTV building early in the morning. It's still a worksite and they would not let me near the base of the building. Sooo, i found a way into an abandoned warehouse block next door and found this!!! It's a wooden scaffold model of the building (approx 4m tall)!! sooo cool...and hidden away from everyone...
cctv-1.JPG
cctv-1.JPG (101.54 KiB) Viewed 3221 times
cctv-2.JPG
cctv-2.JPG (46.45 KiB) Viewed 3213 times

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#12 Post by Shuz » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:16 pm

I think its ugly as. Its structural form is too awkward for a building of that size and alienates what a city skyline should be - a composition of vertical buildings, not a child's playground. I fear very much this will be the case too for the Currie Street tower in Adelaide.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by Wayno » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:18 pm

Shuz wrote:I think its ugly as. Its structural form is too awkward for a building of that size and alienates what a city skyline should be - a composition of vertical buildings, not a child's playground. I fear very much this will be the case too for the Currie Street tower in Adelaide.
There's a few more tall buildings (50+ stories) going up around this one. Yes, it's quite "stark" at the moment, but i think it will blend quite well given time.