World's Largest Airport - Beijing Airport Terminal 3

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

World's Largest Airport - Beijing Airport Terminal 3

#1 Post by AG » Sun May 11, 2008 10:53 am

Terminal 3 of Beijing Airport is the world's largest airport terminal on completion as of a couple of months ago. The new terminal increases the capacity of the entire airport from 35 million passengers a year to 60 million passengers a year.

Design:

T3 is at the bottom of this map:

Videos:

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: World's Largest Airport - Beijing Airport Terminal 3

#2 Post by Shuz » Sun May 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Holy Mother of Christ, that is huuuuuuuuuuuge.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Sun May 11, 2008 2:50 pm

Woah far out... that's pretty remarkable!

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by Omicron » Sun May 11, 2008 9:26 pm

What's even more astounding is that Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport handles an extra 30 million passengers a year - 90 million in 2007, I believe.

I miss the days of Worldport, TWA Flight Center and Sundrome!

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by bm7500 » Mon May 12, 2008 1:17 pm

Very Impressive!

Although i would hate to see the buildings carbon footprint, it must be HUGE especially when you look at just the number of lightbulbs in use in the pics.

Also, our glass sided Aerobridges are still better :wink:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by fishinajar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 am

Firstly, their seats make me jealous, they look so much more comfortable than ours!
bm7500 wrote:Very Impressive!

Although i would hate to see the buildings carbon footprint, it must be HUGE especially when you look at just the number of lightbulbs in use in the pics.

Also, our glass sided Aerobridges are still better :wink:
Presuming sarcasm here? I've always thought they looked like glass sided shipping containers. Which incidently were showing signs of rust on there tops when I walked through on that first open day.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:14 am

i believe it is supposed to look like a dragon when viewed from above - apparently better at night time when all lit up...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#8 Post by AG » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:35 pm

Actually, it's probably less than you think! Still a lot, no figures floating around exactly as far as I am aware, but in today's AFR there is mention of an Australian firm called Ilum-a-lite, who was involved in providing an energy efficient product (the article, on page 69, makes no mention of what the product actually is or how it works) to reduce the amount of energy needed for the lights in the airport terminal building.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by Wayno » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:56 pm

AG wrote:

Actually, it's probably less than you think! Still a lot, no figures floating around exactly as far as I am aware, but in today's AFR there is mention of an Australian firm called Ilum-a-lite, who was involved in providing an energy efficient product (the article, on page 69, makes no mention of what the product actually is or how it works) to reduce the amount of energy needed for the lights in the airport terminal building.
heating would be the killer here. This is a huge building and Beijing has very cold winters...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.