FuturePerth

Discussion on developments interstate and overseas.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: FuturePerth

#16 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 28, 2008 11:34 pm

Ho Really wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
omada wrote:I agree with Wayno, the idea is a not a bad one, but I know i'm happy just to be a member of an apolitical organisation, I do not see any need to come together as a legal entity.
Further to that, incorporating often leads to being bogged down in the politics of organisation, as well as attracting political miscreants. You don't want to become like the APPA do you? ;)
Although I mentioned incorporation somewhere (probably Adelaide City 2030) so S-A could attain legal status (and some clout), I do agree with monotonehell, politics will rear its ugly head. Continuing as a discussion forum is not a problem, if we want to take action we can always write letters and petition. Maybe keeping things simple is best.

Cheers
It's anarchy baby! ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

#17 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Wed May 28, 2008 11:35 pm

Ho Really wrote:monotonehell wrote:
omada wrote:
I agree with Wayno, the idea is a not a bad one, but I know i'm happy just to be a member of an apolitical organisation, I do not see any need to come together as a legal entity.

Further to that, incorporating often leads to being bogged down in the politics of organisation, as well as attracting political miscreants. You don't want to become like the APPA do you?

Although I mentioned incorporation somewhere (probably Adelaide City 2030) so S-A could attain legal status (and some clout), I do agree with monotonehell, politics will rear its ugly head. Continuing as a discussion forum is not a problem, if we want to take action we can always write letters and petition. Maybe keeping things simple is best.
definitely agree with these comments... I don't have anything against incorporations in general, but I probably would not have joined this site at all if S-A was that kind of thing, cos I maybe wouldn't have felt able to freely and easily discuss Adelaide (and more) on a kind of level playing field with other members. I think its more interesting as it is, as its a real discussion with real opinions....
and although some people may have agendas etc. as a whole its quite a free discussion - and that's part of the originality and strength of S-A as it is :D

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by Queen Anne » Thu May 29, 2008 6:03 am

Hindley Street Alley wrote:
Ho Really wrote:monotonehell wrote:
omada wrote:
I agree with Wayno, the idea is a not a bad one, but I know i'm happy just to be a member of an apolitical organisation, I do not see any need to come together as a legal entity.

Further to that, incorporating often leads to being bogged down in the politics of organisation, as well as attracting political miscreants. You don't want to become like the APPA do you?

definitely agree with these comments... I don't have anything against incorporations in general, but I probably would not have joined this site at all if S-A was that kind of thing, cos I maybe wouldn't have felt able to freely and easily discuss Adelaide (and more) on a kind of level playing field with other members. I think its more interesting as it is, as its a real discussion with real opinions....
and although some people may have agendas etc. as a whole its quite a free discussion - and that's part of the originality and strength of S-A as it is :D
I understand what people are saying about this site working as a place where differing opinions are OK - it would be a shame to lose that. I guess when you start lobbying, etc, everyone has to pretty much be on the 'same page' and that would probably change the tone of things here.

I guess, personally, I am having a few doubts about coming home :? I love Adelaide and have no worries about coming back to the city, but the thought of coming back to the Adelaide attitude is a bit depressing to me, I have to admit - after seeing how well Adelaide stacks up against many North American cities, I don't get the negativity. And I'm frustrated (like others) by the city's habit of either thinking it can't evolve, or criticising changes that are proposed. I'm feeling like I want to be part of a real change in things but I simply don't know what to do, or what I have to offer as a single and ordinary person. That's why the idea of a pro-active group, of some kind, apppeals to me.
Anyway, sorry to ramble, this subject is on my mind, lately.
Cheers, Caroline

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by Wayno » Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 am

Queen Anne wrote:I guess, personally, I am having a few doubts about coming home :? I love Adelaide and have no worries about coming back to the city, but the thought of coming back to the Adelaide attitude is a bit depressing to me
Don't let that bother you. We are already firmly lodged as one of the Top 10 places in the world to live. It's very difficult to get higher up the list. Here's a new article on Oz from the Gulf region ==> http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/08 ... 16506.html
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by omada » Thu May 29, 2008 9:45 am

Queen Anne wrote: I guess, personally, I am having a few doubts about coming home :? I love Adelaide and have no worries about coming back to the city, but the thought of coming back to the Adelaide attitude is a bit depressing to me, I have to admit - after seeing how well Adelaide stacks up against many North American cities, I don't get the negativity.
How long has it been since you lived in Adelaide Queen Anne? Don't worry, things are changing for the better here, particularly with the influx of international students into the city, things are a lot more diverse... people are ready for change here, but don't get passion confused with negativity (although naturally yes negativity does exist)..

Saying that though, the world is a big place, and there are some fantastic places to live in - so if you have the opportunity to see the world - well how could you refuse!

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by Queen Anne » Thu May 29, 2008 1:57 pm

Thank you for your kind replies Wayno and Omada :) and thanks for the article Wayno.

I shouldn't let other people's attitudes get to me but I always have. It has always made me crazy the way Adelaide is sometimes its own worst enemy.

Yes, the world is a big and fantastic place, but I can't think of anywhere else I want my children to grow up but home in Adelaide. Omada, we have only been gone since 2006, and I guess a concern of mine is that I hadn't noticed any particular improvement in the attitude around town before we left, and I have wondered if I will land back at home, full of enthusiasm, only to find the same old hang-dog atmosphere.

But I have been reading this site with interest and have noticed how often people have said attitudes are changing, even in the last two years. I might be in for a pleasant surprise! And, come to think of it, I am complaining about others' negativity, while ignoring the pessimism in my own attitude :roll:
OK, I'll stop raving on now, apologies if I have hijacked this thread - this moving around the world stuff is doing my head in, lately.