What's Happening in Adelaide

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

What's Happening in Adelaide

#1 Post by Will » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:43 pm

I think we can all agree, that promoting our great events is not one of our strengths. In fact there have been numerous occasions where I have driven past or walked past something and thought to myself "I wish I had known about this".

I thought that a thread where people can post upcoming events and things to do would be a good idea.

I'll start off with an article from The Messenger about the upcoming Italian Film Festival:
Film feast

newsLocal News08 Oct 08 @ 09:26am

THE Italian Film Festival starts next week in the East End. Now in its ninth year, the festival will feature 22 new films at the Palace Nova East End cinema on Rundle St.

The opening gala event is on next Thursday (October 16) from 6.45pm with the Adelaide premiere of comedy Her Whole Life Ahead.

The festival, which runs until October 29, also will feature Cannes award-winning Italian films, including Il Divo and The Rest of the Night.

Rebecca and Angela Pastore (pictured) are among hundreds of people expected to attend the festival.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: What's Happening in Adelaide

#2 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:02 am

Both the Soccer and Netball were in town tonight.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:19 am

Channel 7 was advertising an Outdoor Living event in Veale Gardens on Fri 10th to Sun 12th October, free entry.

Details are at http://www.kymjonesexhibitions.com.au/g ... ving1.html

Outdoor Renovations, Gardening, Food, Wine & Family Fun

... The Festival of Garden & Outdoor Living is on again at Veale Gardens on South Terrace in the city from October
10 to 12 and this year admission is FREE. ...

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by jk1237 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:12 am

Adelaides version of Oktoberfest is happening every Friday night at the German Club on Flinders St. Its not too bad actually, last year we went there was a line up to get in

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:23 pm

Marksenfest is happening this Sunday at St Mark's College.
http://www.marksenfest.com.au/

$50 pre-sold tix
$60 at the gate

Apparently it's all you can drink.

Raise your hand if you're an alcoholic....

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#6 Post by jk1237 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:48 pm

I always get an email about these events at the Art Gallery:

DEPARTURE: Multiplicity

BankSA presents DEPARTURE - pre-release tickets now on sale

Pre-release tickets for BankSA's next DEPARTURE event - MULTIPLICITY - on Friday 7 November at the Art Gallery of South Australia, are now available from www.artgallery.sa.gov.au/departure

This is sure to be yet another sell-out night so get your people together quick and grab your tickets.

Friday 7 November 6 – 10pm

DEPARTURE: Multiplicity is set to be another legendary night at the Art Gallery of South Australia.

See the exciting new exhibition Multiplicity: Prints and Multiples after dark, hear from Curator, Maria Zagala and other experts, enjoy fine wines from Penfolds and Penny's Hill, try all new Mercury Artisan cider, and all night nibbles from the Art Gallery Restaurant.

Be entertained by some of Adelaide's hottest DJs playing the best contemporary beats from the 60s through to now, and catch some fantastic dance performances throughout the night.

Get your all-inclusive tickets online, but hurry as DEPARTURE: Multiplicity is set to be another sell out!

General Public $35 | Members $30 | Students $30 | Fringe Benefits Members $30 when you book online before 4pm Wednesday 5 November, then tickets $45 per person at the door on the night (unless sold out).

Group bookings online of 10 tickets receive the members' price of $30 per person.

For more details, head to our Facebook event page or jump straight over to www.artgallery.sa.gov.au/departure for info and bookings.

Hope to see you soon at the Art Gallery!

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:29 pm

Not exactly an event, but definately something to do. I am talking about the great restaurants that we have.

From the Advertiser:
Chianti Classico Australia's best breakfast

October 27, 2008 11:01pm

ADELAIDE Italian restaurant Chianti Classico is officially the best place in Australia to kickstart your day.

The Hutt St eatery was last night awarded the mantle of the country's best breakfast venue at the 2008 Savour Australia Restaurant and Catering National Awards of Excellence.

It is the second year in a row Chianti Classico, owned by Frank and Maria Favaro, has been chosen by national judges as Australia's top brekkie joint.

The restaurant led a quartet of SA winners at this year's national hospitality industry awards.

Other major gongs went to Jasmin as Australia's best Indian restaurant, Blanco Catering was voted best event caterer in the country, and the Hyatt Regency's Shiki was named as the best restaurant in a hotel or motel.

All four won their state categories at the SA restaurant and catering industry awards in July.

The spread of awards is a sign that South Australians are treated to top food and service in all its forms, national awards chairman of judges Matt Preston said.

"Adelaide understands that good dining experiences can start at the beginning of the day and end in an exotic location at the end," he said.

Sydney's Quay restaurant was named the restaurant of the year .

South Australia and Queensland won four awards each, Victoria and Western Australia won three and Tasmania won two awards.

More than 500 specially trained judges reviewed over 2,000 award finalists for the event.

Quay's executive chef Peter Gilmore accepted the award and said 2008 had been an amazing year for the fine dining restaurant.

"`The calibre of competition this year means Quay is very honoured to have taken out such an accolade," Mr Gilmore said.

The awards' chair of judges Matt Preston said Quay was a "superb" and worthy recipient of the award.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by Will409 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:32 pm

100th anniversary of the first electric tram run in Adelaide anyone?

http://www.trammuseumadelaide.com.au/06 ... iasts.html
The Australian Electric Transport Museum (SA) Inc (operators of the Tramway Museum at St Kilda, SA) invites you to attend the 100th Anniversary of Tram No. 1’s Trial Run at the Museum on St Kilda Road, St Kilda, SA on Sunday 30th November 2008 at 1.30pm.

Adelaide’s first electric tram, No. 1, ran its first trial run along North Terrace on 30 November 1908. Following successful trials, Adelaide’s electric tramway system opened on 9 March 1909. Tram No. 1 is now preserved at the Museum and will re-create its trial run at 2.30pm. Prior to the re-created run, Tram No. 1 will line up for photographs with the Museums other electric trams from 1908-1909 – trams 10, 14, 15 & 42. The photo line up will also include vintage cars and bikes of the same era.

Adelaide Model Rail Operators are setting up a model tram layout.

Gates open at 10.00am and trams will continue to run until evening.
I have highlighted the Adelaide Model Rail Operators part because I am a member of this group. We have an Adelaide based tramway layout under construction (nearly complete in fact) which we will be running on the day and we will be set up in one of the depot buildings (to be precise, the green one to the right of the main enterance). Our group will have a number of trams running including 2 Flexis, 2 H class, 1 F1 class, 1 G class, 1 C class (mind), 1 B class ballast motor (mine) and an A as well as other trams.

Here are a couple of photos on the layout.

Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#9 Post by omada » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:50 am

St Jeromes Laneway Festival 2009

February 7th

A music festival, originally from Melbourne, now nationwide, funnily enough not actually held in lane ways, but at Fowlers Live...

http://www.lanewayfestival.com.au/main#l=main

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Will » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:47 pm

From the Messenger:
TRANSIT Oriented Development (TOD) will be put under the spotlight during a free lecture next Tuesday night (November 4).

State Government Major Projects and Infrastructure executive director Rod Hook and Planning SA City Hubs team leader Jason Ting will offer their insights on TODs and what they mean for Adelaide.

The Tom McKenna Memorial Lecture at the Hawke Centre, UniSA City West campus, North Tce, is on from 7pm-8.30pm.
&
Festival coup

BROADWAY star Bernadette Peters will perform at next year’s Adelaide Cabaret Festival.

Festival organisers have announded the New York-based performer, a Tony award-winner, will perform at the Festival Theatre on June 6-7 next year.

The festival will run from June 5-20 with the full program announced in April.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#11 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:53 pm

Will wrote:From the Messenger:
TRANSIT Oriented Development (TOD) will be put under the spotlight during a free lecture next Tuesday night (November 4).

State Government Major Projects and Infrastructure executive director Rod Hook and Planning SA City Hubs team leader Jason Ting will offer their insights on TODs and what they mean for Adelaide.

The Tom McKenna Memorial Lecture at the Hawke Centre, UniSA City West campus, North Tce, is on from 7pm-8.30pm.
That would be quite interesting

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:05 pm

I'll be there.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Düsseldorfer » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:06 am

Will409 wrote:Image
hmm this made me laugh, wonder what a huge locomotive would really look like going down KWS, and is that a Peek & Cloppenburg store next to Darrell Lea :P

also that lecture on TODs sounds interesting

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by jk1237 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:16 pm

crawf wrote:
Will wrote:From the Messenger:

That would be quite interesting
I agree, can you just rock up or do you have to book.
Do you know that if you say 'rock up' in England, it means to get high on cocaine. When I was there and said the word, "yeah I'll rock up about 5pm), there was deadly silence until I explained myself

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by Norman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:04 pm

Who went tonight? I was really interesting I have to say, and will upload the full thing in video form sometime between tonight and tomorrow night.