F1 to Adelaide

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
spiller
High Rise Poster!

Re: F1 to Adelaide

#16 Post by spiller » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:36 pm

From a racing perspective they've two of the most boring races on the calendar but yeah, I can appreciate the history.

The "joint venture" is an interesting one though, would be strange to see two state governments sharing the same event on a switch off basis given that states usually compete like crazy for hosting rights to the big events. I'm not sure if Australia is ready for that, let alone the victorian government sharing anything.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#17 Post by Nathan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:51 pm

ferraritifosi27 wrote:Apparently Valencia's GP future is in doubt.
I don't think a single fan would shed a tear over Valencia getting dropped. It has to be one of the most boring circuits to watch anyone race on in the world (besides NASCAR ovals).

Germany isn't the only example of race sharing - there's talk of having alternating years at Spa and Paul Ricard (whilst having the French GP back on the calendar would be nice, Spa should be locked in for every year, no ifs or buts, in my opinion), and the Japanese GP was going to be shared between Suzuka and Fuji Speedway until Toyota pulled the pin.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by spiller » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Nathan I believe Spa-Paul Riccard is locked in from 2013. A terrible shame given that there are crappy circuits like valencia on the calendar. Unfortunately Bernie's wallet comes first, and exciting racing second.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#19 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:09 pm

Nathan wrote:
ferraritifosi27 wrote:Apparently Valencia's GP future is in doubt.
I don't think a single fan would shed a tear over Valencia getting dropped. It has to be one of the most boring circuits to watch anyone race on in the world (besides NASCAR ovals).

Germany isn't the only example of race sharing - there's talk of having alternating years at Spa and Paul Ricard (whilst having the French GP back on the calendar would be nice, Spa should be locked in for every year, no ifs or buts, in my opinion), and the Japanese GP was going to be shared between Suzuka and Fuji Speedway until Toyota pulled the pin.
Yeah I know, I'm not a fan of it either. Hermann Tilke has designed most of the recent circuits. He stuffed up the Hockenheimring, the older layout was so much better and he made some radical changes to some other great tracks like Monza, Silverstone & Spa.

Yep, Spa-Paul Ricard alternating is confirmed.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

F1 to Adelaide

#20 Post by dsriggs » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:03 am

You guys realize that if we got f1 back, we'd have to cancel the 500, right? Parklands people couldn't handle 2 events a year, and F1 doesn't share equal billing with ANYBODY.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by spiller » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:14 am

F1 >>>>>>>>>> 500. Would be no great loss. They would probably combine some sort of v8 event as a support category anyway. A twighlight V8SC race would be a good way to incorporate it.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#22 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:38 am

F1 smashes the Clipsal hands down, when I went to Melbourne GP as soon as a practice session or qualifying was over when the V8 Supercars came on pretty much everyone left and only the rev heads stayed to watch it. That was pretty much the same thing when it was here. You can put it this way if the V8's were a support race for the F1 and both events were held in November as the last rounds in their respective championships. Look at all the exposure that the V8's will get worldwide, especially here in Adelaide with the F1 on. That is what will help the V8's to grow. I'm sure the crowd records will pick up right from where they left off. Not sure why they chose March to do the Clipsal and all those events when November is when most people take time off. F1 is what will also bring celebrities to the state with all the glamour and excitement that it brings and these are the things that will help to promote SA. There is nothing like hearing the sounds of an F1 engine firing up and roaring down the Sir Jack Brabham straight at over 300k's.

The Ultimate Speed Comparison was awesome, loved watching the McLaren F1 smash the Holden V8 and catch it very quickly.

F1 brings Tourists from all around the world and it is the 2nd biggest watched sport worldwide after the World Cup, while the Clipsal only brings people domestically.

F1 is currently what this state needs to boost Tourism. Our state is pretty much a Motorsporting state and if we can secure F1 it will become the Motorsporting capital of Australia.

Thanial
Gold-Member ;)

#23 Post by Thanial » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:20 am

great way of putting it ferraritifosi27 :cheers: It was on the news only recently that they are failing to sell tickets for the clipsal, and it is hardly a big event domestically, let alone internationally! Adelaide returning to Formula 1 would be great, though I could see sharing the GP slightly more probable. I'm disappointed to see Belgium/ France sharing the GP, since Spa is possibly the greatest track on the calender, especially considering how bad Valencia is. But like you said, it's all down to the money :roll: In fact, I'm not sure how they're going to work out the calender in a few years since soon they'll be a Russian Grand Prix in Sochi (2014), a second US Grand Prix in New Jersey (2013), and it's been rumoured that they have plans to return Mexico, Argentina and South Africa to the calender in the future, and my guess is that Australia would be the first race to go...

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by spiller » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:07 am

FWIW it is rumoured that there were over 250,000 people there (just on race day!) for the last f1 race in Adelaide with a total 4 day attendance figure of close to 450,000 people. Clipsal has never topped 200K for all four days, nor does Melbourne F1 attendance come close to that. To put things into perspective, racves like Spa dont get much more than 60K on race day.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Wayno » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:14 am

I'm intrigued by the idea of race sharing on a bi-annual basis. Would that actually work? what complications arise (apart from the Vic & SA state governments needing to co-operate)?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#26 Post by spiller » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Aside from both circuits/facilities being up to FIA spec (which Adelaide would need a lot of new equipment for), its pretty much a matter of reaching an agreement between all parties (i.e. Bernie, the FIA, Vic and SA governemnts). As has been mentioned, Hokenheimring and Nurbirgring have shared the German GP for a number of years now seemingly without any issues (however im not familiar with how different German regions relate to one another on a government level).

All in all though, Bernie has the final say. A "joint venture" would possibly be the only thing that could save the Australian GP though as I find it unlikely that any state government would want to commit to the whole thing.

ferraritifosi27
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#27 Post by ferraritifosi27 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:19 am

This onboard lap of the Legendary Ayrton Senna in the McLaren Honda V12 around our famous city street circuit says it all!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkWLWhx2dck

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#28 Post by spiller » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 am

them's were the days of real men, stick shift 'H' patterns and all. It really looked fantastic with all of those stands along brabham straight and rundle rd. I at least wish the Clipsal 500 would run with the old F1 layout. The rundle road-east terrace corner was a real buzzer. The rest of the circuit away from pit straight is a bit "dead" now days.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#29 Post by rev » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm

spiller wrote:F1 >>>>>>>>>> 500. Would be no great loss. They would probably combine some sort of v8 event as a support category anyway. A twighlight V8SC race would be a good way to incorporate it.
F1 on Saturday, 500km V8 enduro on Sunday?

Anyway, going back to the supposed email from the FIA boss guy, there's at least one place in Europe that probably wont be getting an F1 race any time soon, even though a track has apparently been approved.
Greece of course, with it's debt problems.

Of course they'd love to come back to Adelaide, it was one of the best street circuits in F1, they had a ball while they were here because it was like one big festival and they were the main attraction that hundreds of thousands of people came out to see. That doesn't happen anywhere else.
Only Adelaide ever really knew how to put on a party for F1.
It's a shame it was lost to Melbourne, who have run the event into an early grave almost.

But that's life.
We had a chance to do something different with the LeMans night race, but they ditched that after one event. It could have been special, we usually pick up events that other states don't want and we turn them into success. Rugby 7's is a good example. Nobody wanted it, we took it, made it a success, then Qld flogs it.
They've invested their stock in the Clipsal 500 anyway.

You never know though, if this campaign picks up enough momentum and half of Adelaide gets behind it and it gets media attention, the state gov might take a look at seeing what they can do when Melbourne's contract runs out.

The time difference with Europe doesn't rule us out. Remember, they wanted Melbourne to do a night race but Melbourne said no which put Melbournes future in doubt.
Singapore does a night race(they are the only ones aren't they?), so why couldn't Adelaide if, hypothetically, we got the F1 back?
I think a night F1 race would allow Adelaide to raise the bar again on hosting an F1 race.

Like said earlier in the thread, we can dream..

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#30 Post by Nathan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Night racing requires a LOT of lighting, to the point that the track itself is almost at daylight level. The LeMans race didn't require anywhere near that level as LeMans cars have headlights. Have a close look at shots of the Singapore race and check out the lighting setup along the track.