Fringe Festival

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
zippySA
High Rise Poster!

Re: Fringe Festival

#46 Post by zippySA » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:16 pm

I agree it is great to have green, lush grass everywhere - but the Glenelg re-cycled water is still not free and hence I can understand how they need to balance costs versus everything lush and green. What we really need is some good rain - and perhaps they need to consider alternatives to placing matting down over the grass in Vic Square - if it was smaller and areas were on raised platforms, then the grass may stand a better chance of surviving post-events.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#47 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:32 pm

yep, there's likely a combination of good practices to reduce lawn wear and tear.

See below - 2 gigalitres was set aside for the parklands. That's 2 billion litres a year. I'll ask my local Southern Ward Councillors ([email protected] and [email protected]) how much actually gets used and the purchase cost.

http://www.environment.gov.au/node/24287
Glenelg to Adelaide Park Lands water recycling project

About the project

Funding: The total project cost was $76.248 million of which the Australian Government has contributed $30.15 million. The remainder of funding was provided by the CityGreen Alliance, comprising of: SA Water (link is external), United Water, Leed Engineering and Construction (link is external), Guidera O'Connor and Leighton Services (link is external).

Completion of the project was announced by Senator the Hon Penny Wong, the former Minister for Climate Change, Energy Efficiency and Water on 11 January 2010.

The project has resulted in an upgrade of the Glenelg Wastewater Treatment Plant and construction of a pipeline to transport up to 2 gigalitres of Class A recycled water to irrigate the Adelaide City park lands. In addition, the upgrade has ensured there is capacity to provide up to 5.5 gigalitres of recycled water per year for new project or initiative in the central business district.

Project benefits

Using recycled water to irrigate the Adelaide Park Lands will significantly reduces nutrient discharge into the marine environment by reducing outfall from the Glenelg Wastewater Treatment Plant into the Gulf of St Vincent and metropolitan beaches.

The upgrade of the treatment plant and construction of the pipeline demonstrates the effectiveness of reusing treated water on a large scale, and also providing for future expansion of the use of recycled water.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#48 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:33 pm

I have to say, when I was living in Adelaide, one of my pet frustrations was the lack of properly maintained and used irrigation. ACC is not the only culprit. There is no excuse other than stingy councils crying poor (despite the massive increase in property values of the last decade). As has been mentioned here, the glenelg to city waste water project is very under utilised, there is a very expensive desal plant just sitting on idle, and the water reserves and Murray are in relative health, not to mention havested water in the Salisbury council.-Lack of water is not the issue! And dry weather is no excuse...summer in Adelaide is always dry. Even here in Perth, despite only about 20mm of rain in 3 months, and poor soil- all council parks AND MOST ROAD VERGES along main roads are lush and green. Councils here regularly monitor and adjust irrigation. Yes Adelaide is on the edge of a desert, but that does not mean a modern, well maintained city does not deserve some decent green and mowed spaces.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#49 Post by rev » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:55 pm

claybro wrote:I have to say, when I was living in Adelaide, one of my pet frustrations was the lack of properly maintained and used irrigation. ACC is not the only culprit. There is no excuse other than stingy councils crying poor (despite the massive increase in property values of the last decade). As has been mentioned here, the glenelg to city waste water project is very under utilised, there is a very expensive desal plant just sitting on idle, and the water reserves and Murray are in relative health, not to mention havested water in the Salisbury council.-Lack of water is not the issue! And dry weather is no excuse...summer in Adelaide is always dry. Even here in Perth, despite only about 20mm of rain in 3 months, and poor soil- all council parks AND MOST ROAD VERGES along main roads are lush and green. Councils here regularly monitor and adjust irrigation. Yes Adelaide is on the edge of a desert, but that does not mean a modern, well maintained city does not deserve some decent green and mowed spaces.
I agree with you it comes down to better management.
If you go down to Pinky's Flat the grass there is watered several times on a rotating basis for several hours. You go to other parts of the parklands, and they are dust bowls, or the grass is either dying or over grown and not well maintained.
What's the point of having these parklands surround out City and boasting about a green belt, if we aren't going to maintain them properly and leave them in the state they are usually in and underused(or never used)?

The Scooter Guy

#50 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:23 pm

Heather Croall, Adelaide Fringe's new Creative Director & CEO has created a new look for the Fringe!

“The Adelaide Fringe has a place in the hearts of so many different audiences - they love the Fringe because it is bright, bold, energetic, vibrant and fun. We wanted to create a logo that represents that love, energy and fun as we put in place my vision to light up the city. The strong pink and claret colours along with the bold, strong lettering capture the feeling perfectly. Incorporated into the new logo are “star bursts” / “bright sparks" that connect not only to the exciting light & luminosity plans but also signify the bringing together of artists, events & audiences. “
- Heather Croall, Creative Director & CEO
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Nathan

#51 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:53 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Heather Croall, Adelaide Fringe's new Creative Director & CEO has created a new look for the Fringe!

“The Adelaide Fringe has a place in the hearts of so many different audiences - they love the Fringe because it is bright, bold, energetic, vibrant and fun. We wanted to create a logo that represents that love, energy and fun as we put in place my vision to light up the city. The strong pink and claret colours along with the bold, strong lettering capture the feeling perfectly. Incorporated into the new logo are “star bursts” / “bright sparks" that connect not only to the exciting light & luminosity plans but also signify the bringing together of artists, events & audiences. “
It's not the hideous thing used the for past few years. That's about as much positive comments I can give.

The Scooter Guy

#52 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Nathan wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:Heather Croall, Adelaide Fringe's new Creative Director & CEO has created a new look for the Fringe!

It's not the hideous thing used the for past few years. That's about as much positive comments I can give.
I personally like the older corporate logo better for now.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

Nathan

Fringe Festival

#53 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:19 pm

That was terrible as well. Subjective opinion aside, it's simply poorly crafted. The letterspacing is amateurish (look at the way some letters crash into each other and how some pairs of letters look tighter than others ADE LAI DE). The Fringe isn't a little startup festival any more, it's a big event and it should start acting like one.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#54 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:03 pm

I didn't like the previous one either.

The new logo is alright, but I agree the marketing for the Fringe needs to be done much better.

Love this logo for the Cabaret Festival however.

[Shuz]

#55 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:39 am

The new Fringe logo is awful. Did a 5 year old create that? If so, I mean that's cute letting kids be involved in the design process.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#56 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 am

[Shuz] wrote:The new Fringe logo is awful. Did a 5 year old create that? If so, I mean that's cute letting kids be involved in the design process.
From the wording of the press release, it sounds like the director did it herself, which explains a lot.

Both the Festival of Arts and the Cabaret Festival commission actual design studios to create their branding for each festival. The Fringe continue to insist on running their insulting poster competition, which then gets shoehorned into event branding by their ad agency. As other fringe festivals around the country grow, Adelaide Fringe needs to grow up and portray themselves as a premier arts festival - not one that has its public appearance done by a CEO on the weekend, and a teenager with some free time and a pirated copy of Photoshop.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#57 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:48 pm

[Shuz] wrote:The new Fringe logo is awful. Did a 5 year old create that? If so, I mean that's cute letting kids be involved in the design process.
that's shade :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#58 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:45 pm

I just emailed a suggestion to the Australian Red Cross (SA Division) suggesting they partner with the Fringe Festival in a manner similar to this: http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015 ... -pay-blood

Good visibility for the ARC and their persistent blood thirst, and a credibility kick for the Adelaide Fringe. A bit of a novelty, feel good and hugs all round. The dollars involved would be small and easily covered within the State Govt provided Fringe budget.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

The Scooter Guy

#59 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:57 pm

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#60 Post by crawf » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Average.

That font is horrible though.