Comic Con - Australia

All event related discussion should go here.. e.g. Clipsal 500, Womadelaide, SALA, etc.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Comic Con - Australia

#1 Post by Wayno » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:46 am

I was just thinking this morning how cool it would be to have an Australian version of Comic Con, and of course host it in Adelaide. So i googled and found this - was i only the only one to miss this announcement?

Dec 16 2011 http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/firs ... 6226413540
ADELAIDE has been chosen to host the first Oz Comic-Con, the Australian version of the American comic book convention.

The two-day event, which will be held annually in Adelaide, will be staged from March 31 next year and is expected to attract 10,000 people, rising to 20,000 in coming years.

The American Comic-Con, held in San Diego, started with 300 people in 1970, with the crowds swelling to 130,000 last year.

"This is a good example of South Australia tapping into a niche market to deliver broad economic benefits," Tourism Minister Gail Gago said.

"Comic-Con in America is the premier pop culture consumer and entertainment trade event of its kind.

"The event showcases everything that's new and exciting in the realms of science fiction, gaming, comics and more."

Organisers of Oz Comic-Con expect to have 100 exhibits with the two-day event to be worth about $2 million to the state economy.

It will feature appearances by international and local film and TV stars including Jewel Staite from Serenity and Stargate Atlantis, Teryl Rothery from Stargate SG1, Nicola Scott from Teen Titans and Stewart McKenny from Star Wars, the Clone Wars.

More guests will be announced closer to the event.

Aspiring local comic creators will be able to submit their work for professional review, and there will be gaming demonstrations and competitions.
Official Website: http://www.ozcomiccon.com/

There's a follow up event in Melbourne (July 2012 timeframe).
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

Re: Comic Con - Australia

#2 Post by Hooligan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 am

I immediately thought of the big bang theory when looking at this thread

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#3 Post by russo92 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:42 am

haha that's awesome, I missed that announcement as well. I thought of The Simpsons right away, comic book guy and the few comic book conventions they've had on the show lol Excellent that Adelaide was chosen to host.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Howie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Hang on .. is this the fake comic con that has no affiliation with the american comic con?

Edit: i think it is
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/01/the-g ... comic-con/

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Wayno » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:29 pm

interesting. from the webiste provided by howie:
The event is Oz Comic-Con — a completely different event to the US show, put together by a completely different company, yet using the same brand as the 15-year-old San Diego event.

Immediately after our initial report on Oz Comic-Con we received a number of comments — emails, phone calls, messages — none of them were complimentary.

“This is purely two Australian businesses trying to use the Comic-Con brand, without permission, mind you, to raise awareness of their event,” read one comment.
You can buy gold/platinum/vip tickets (up to $150) which gives you special privileges like:
* Weekend entry.
* Priority entry to event.
* Priority queuing for celebrity photograph and autograph lines, and token lines.
* Choice of 4 paid guest autographs (autographs valued over $30 will incur an additional charge). Additional autographs are available for purchase.
* Choice of 2 paid individual guest professional photographs (this does not include group photographs, and individual photographs valued over $40 will incur an additional charge). Additional photographs are available for purchase.
* Souvenir event DVD (filmed and produced by Turncoat Studios).
* Exclusive Platinum Pass.
* Reserved Platinum seating in all non-VIP, non-exclusive panels (first 4 rows only, on a first come, first served basis).
* Access to all VIP and exclusive panels.
* Access to exclusive Stan Lee panel with seating behind Excelsior! ticket holders. (NB: this is for Oz Comic-Con Melbourne only).
* Access to VIP evening function (details TBA); meet and greet celebrity guests!
* Complimentary cloaking in Oz Comic-Con cloak room.
* Special offers that may arise.
I wonder if Stan Lee will actually be there? or is it just a 'panel' of other random comic-related-people without Stan Lee?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:36 am

More importantly...
* Access to exclusive Stan Lee panel with seating behind Excelsior! ticket holders. (NB: this is for Oz Comic-Con Melbourne only).
Also who the heck is "Excelsior" and will he block my view of Stan?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.