Your lack of strike disturbs me...

Anything to do with the running of the website. (e.g. Suggestions, bugs, etc)
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Your lack of strike disturbs me...

#1 Post by monotonehell » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:12 pm

Mangled Darth Vader quotes aside. I really miss the ability to strike out text in posts that most other forums allow.

Is it possible to add the BBCode for strike?

I'd suggest [S] and [/S] :)

EDIT EDIT EDIT ;)
Last edited by monotonehell on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

Re: Your lack of strike disturbs me...

#2 Post by Edgar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:42 am

Most commonly use of this function is to create, a joke sentence.

Though it is not very important in this forum, as we are not blogging, or joking (well not all the time), so how can it disturbs you?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 pm

Edgar wrote:Most commonly use of this function is to create, a joke sentence.

Though it is not very important in this forum, as we are not blogging, or joking (well not all the time), so how can it disturbs you?
The most common use is to retract a statement without deleting it.

For example. Person A posts an idea, but later posts reveal a fatal flaw in their idea. They go back and modify the original post to reflect the change in thought, but leave the original text struck out. That way all the conversation below still makes sense in the context of what was originally said and you don't get people who only read the OP posting redundant comments about the first version of the idea.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Edgar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:29 pm

Isn't that a coward action?

That is why a forum is a discussion board.

If people commented on your idea, that is where healthy discussion occurs.

And for your information, you cannot revert back to your old postings and re-edit, not any forums that I am aware of, allows their user to do that.

The reason behind this being simple, to avoid people from saying something, and then if they do change their opinions, modify their existing post, and utterly resulting in a confrontational, complex, and confusing thread. Basically, it opens the opportunity to ruin a thread.

You can however, edit your last post (and also if it happens to be the last post in the thread).

So to me, even if Howie adds the strike function, is basically, useless based on your explanation, because like I said, even if you can edit, it is only applicable on the last posting.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Edgar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 pm

sorry, my mistakes, I just realised that certain parts of this forum actually allows re-editing of previous postings!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Edgar wrote:Isn't that a coward action?
Exactly. It's a coward action to edit your old post to make it seem like it never happened, and very bad forum etiquette. That's why the strikeout is good. You can make it clear that you've changed your mind about something without rewriting history as it were. It's useful because a lot of people don't read through the entire thread before making their comment and it can become tedious when people keep commenting on the original post when the thread has moved on.