Post Counter

Anything to do with the running of the website. (e.g. Suggestions, bugs, etc)
Pistol
Legendary Member!

Post Counter

#1 Post by Pistol » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:54 pm

Over the last couple of months I have noticed that there are some posters that find it necessary to post unrelated dribble just to increase their post count.

It is really frustrating having to troll through all of this just to see what is actually happening with a development/project.

Do we really need the post counter? If we got rid of it hopefully we get rid of the post spammers as well.

What do you reckon?
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Post Counter

#2 Post by wilkiebarkid » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:59 pm

Hmmmm, another post for Pistol. Very cleverly disguised.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:59 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:Hmmmm, another post for Pistol. Very cleverly disguised.
ROFLMAO :lol:

I too find it annoying to see heaps of "spam" posts in the serious topic forums. Must admit though that i'm also a cuplrit on occasion! What's the answer? disallow frivolity and jocularity? tricky one...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#4 Post by Shuz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:02 pm

Well, add another post for me. Yeah, I'll abuse this thread's purpose...*cackles evil laughter*

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AG » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:30 pm

I'm glad you started this thread Pistol, because I've started noticing the same thing around the forums and it is a little annoying. I'm glad that lots of people want to get involved in the discussion that goes on in the forums, but as Pistol mentioned, there is a lot of unnecessary dribble around the place.

I think it would be nice if people have a think about whether some of their posts really contribute anything useful to the discussion or not before posting and unnecessarily chewing up server space. There's not much worse than seeing a render in a thread turn up and about 20 or so posts immediately following that being one or two line posts along the lines of "That's a brilliant design" or "That doesn't belong in Adelaide". Or posts that belong completely in the The Pub section of the forum.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:27 pm

AG wrote:There's not much worse than seeing a render in a thread turn up and about 20 or so posts immediately following that being one or two line posts along the lines of "That's a brilliant design" or "That doesn't belong in Adelaide".
You need to be careful about outlawing "me too" type posts. Often they are the only positive feedback that contributors get for posting interesting pictures or articles. Outlaw that and contributors may feel "unloved" and stop contributing.

There's a fine balance between fostering a community that works together and a place where people feel unwelcome.

While I admit to the occasional jocular post I do have SOME self control. I find proof reading is a good idea. I always proof read my posts before I press submit. A lot of the time it also gives me a moment to reconsider if my post is worth it.

I think that we self police quite well, when ever a thread has gone off topic too far someone usually pipes up and suggests that it be moved elsewhere.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Will » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:34 pm

To be honest I do not think this is much of a problem on this forum. Sure there are the occasional irrelevant posts, but it is nothing compared to other forums.

And I agree with Monotonehell's post above. If people take their time to find something or take photos for the forum, I think it is polite to say 'thanks'. For example if I took a few photos and people did not post anything, it would lower my enthusiasm for future photo taking expeditions.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#8 Post by Omicron » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:05 am

My insistence upon posting mindless blather at the most inoppertune of times has nothing to do with raising post count, I can tell you that for sure.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#9 Post by Cruise » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:16 pm

I don't care about my post count, i just post dribble because i find enjoyment in it.
would changing the the pub to a section where posts are not counted help? (like the skybar on SSC?)
although i would also be happy if the post counter disappeared altogether

Another thing, maybe your "rank" (ie legendary member) be based on how long you have been on this forum instead of how many posts you have made? (or how often you log in?)

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Edgar » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:38 pm

I have lightly mentioned this before, but as the forum gets larger and welcoming open discussion, let's just prepare ourselves for the worse, but constant reminder are necessary.

Otherwise, I am going to say this again, we will get forum members who talks like keyboard heroes such as found in the popular nissansilvia.com and whirlpool.net forums. I am disgusted by the way some of the forum members speak in there that I decided it is not a worthy participation anymore.

And those who think posting images of cats and other funny pictures to express your simple opinion, is not necessary and should not be encouraged in this forum.
monotonehell wrote:
Will409 wrote:I now have a mullet. My hairdresser nearly wanted to kill me but I have one anyway!
Sorry monotohell, it just happens that this was the first one the came up when I search for such examples. I know there are a couple other members here who often uses this sort of postings, which I really disagree.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#11 Post by Cruise » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:51 pm

I'm not sure what a keyboard hero is, is it someone that appears really tough on the internet? (and is more likely a soft cock in real life?)

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Edgar » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Cruise wrote:I'm not sure what a keyboard hero is, is it someone that appears really tough on the internet? (and is more likely a soft cock in real life?)
you're absolutely correct. If you read around the two above mentioned forum website, you would clearly understand what do I mean.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by SRW » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:20 pm

I agree that there's been an increase in slightly irrelevant posts, but I think this has more to do with the significant increase in the number of contributing members in recent months than with status-climbing or anything like editcountitis, as it's called on Wikipedia. I don't think most of these posts, such as the ones highlighted by AG, are necessarily a bad thing as they tend to foster congeniality.

I think there's more a problem with ill-considered and sometimes inflammatory posts, especially in controversial thread topics such as Victoria Park (now closed), Le Cornu and even now the Entertainment Precinct/Marj ones. In particular, blanket use of terms like NIMBY is offensive, and un-wavering criticism and even demonisation of the ACC and Parklands Association is unhelpful.

It's a good idea for people to, as m-hell said, review their posts and consider whether they progress the debate and whether they're worth submitting. If poorly thought-out out or inflamatory posts do get published, we need to call each other out on it in the interests of constructive debate and the reputation of this forum (especially now that it is gaining a public profile).

Well, that's my :2cents: anyway...
Keep Adelaide Weird

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by Pistol » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:33 pm

I started this thread up after reading in another thread a post that was merely posted to reach a certain post count. I mean what the hell is that???

"I am posting this so I have reached X amount of posts" is not a valid comment.

I am not condoning full censorship - I was merely wondering if we could remove the post counter to stop these kinds of posts, that add nothing to discussion, appearing on our website.

BTW I am fully aware that this is adding another post to my count Wilkiebarkid :wank:
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by SRW » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:53 pm

Pistol wrote: I am not condoning full censorship - I was merely wondering if we could remove the post counter to stop these kinds of posts, that add nothing to discussion, appearing on our website.
I suppose that wouldn't do any harm; although I don't think it's a severe problem, others are clearly put off by it, so turning off the post count would be an acceptable compromise — especially as no has argued in favour of it.
Keep Adelaide Weird