Recent Earthquakes in SA

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
duke
High Rise Poster!

Re: Recent Earthquakes in SA

#16 Post by duke » Sat May 31, 2008 1:07 pm

Anyone remember the one in 1997? Thats the only earthquake I have ever been in. I was at home watching TV about 4pm in the afternoon after school. There was this rumbling noise like a truck that kept getting louder. Then suddenly the whole house shook back and forwards a few times, the TV wobbled and looked like it was about to fall off. My mum and I ran outside by the time we got outside it had stopped. All the birds outside were going insane never heard so much noise from birds. It felt like the ground moved at least 30cm in each direction. I know it probably didn't but thats what it felt like. My old school was near by, they have a sizemograph in the Observatory. Apparently one of the needles broke because of the way the shock was directed through this area.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:33 pm

I don't remember that Duke, but whereabouts were you located then (I know you were at home, but where was home :P)?

duke
High Rise Poster!

#18 Post by duke » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:32 am

Modbury Heights :)

Don't know if its true or not, but I have heard that there is a small fault line that runs up Milne Road. Could explain why we felt it pretty bad.