The Economic News Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: The Economic News Thread

#316 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:16 am

We all know what the Tony Abbott's substantial federal funding will be for - the Northern Connector. It's blindingly obvious. It's the only road project that I can think of which is pretty much shovel-ready.

The North-South (South Road) Corridor still has a lot of planning work to do. I very much the Liberals have been cooking up their own scheme behind closed doors without consultation with either the Federal or State Government transport agencies.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Aidan

#317 Post by Aidan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:37 pm

Waewick wrote:The WA position is an utter joke.

If they what more GST funding then the the rest of the Country should be requesting they have different interest rates and $AUD rates applied.
Your silly rhetoric aside, different interest rates for funding infrastructure would be a great improvement on the current situation where the interest rate is the same everywhere despite having a different inflationary effect in different places, and the extent to which infrastructure pays for itself is barely recognised.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

claybro

#318 Post by claybro » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:06 pm

[Shuz] wrote:We all know what the Tony Abbott's substantial federal funding will be for - the Northern Connector. It's blindingly obvious. It's the only road project that I can think of which is pretty much shovel-ready.

The North-South (South Road) Corridor still has a lot of planning work to do. I very much the Liberals have been cooking up their own scheme behind closed doors without consultation with either the Federal or State Government transport agencies.
And this is the problem here. Our most problematic transport route, the section from Darlington to Regency Park after all this time still not planned. For god sake, how many years have they had to plan it. Just get it planned already, so that when money is offered, it is not used on less critical areas. Meanwhile the likes of WA have a list of planned infastructure projects to lobby for funding.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#319 Post by Shahkar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:10 pm

THE intentions of federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott are causing immediate problems for West Australian Premier Colin Barnett, amid doubts over funding for Perth's multibillion-dollar rail projects.
``We have no history of funding urban rail and I think it's important that we stick to our knitting, and the commonwealth's knitting when it comes to funding infrastructure is roads,'' Mr Abbott said.
Read more

This didn't take long :hilarious:

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#320 Post by Maximus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:07 am

DaShyFreak wrote:THE intentions of federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott are causing immediate problems for West Australian Premier Colin Barnett, amid doubts over funding for Perth's multibillion-dollar rail projects.
``We have no history of funding urban rail and I think it's important that we stick to our knitting, and the commonwealth's knitting when it comes to funding infrastructure is roads,'' Mr Abbott said.
There's quite a bit about this in the media this morning. Abbott's office did later clarify that he meant commuter rail, not freight. And, to be fair, he has a point. The Feds should be funding federal projects as a first priority. Rail freight and key road corridors are obviously on that list, while commuter rail is not.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#321 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:34 am

Maximus wrote:
DaShyFreak wrote:THE intentions of federal Opposition Leader Tony Abbott are causing immediate problems for West Australian Premier Colin Barnett, amid doubts over funding for Perth's multibillion-dollar rail projects.
There's quite a bit about this in the media this morning. Abbott's office did later clarify that he meant commuter rail, not freight. And, to be fair, he has a point. The Feds should be funding federal projects as a first priority. Rail freight and key road corridors are obviously on that list, while commuter rail is not.
How are we supposed to know what the Libs mean? Often Abbott says something, his office "clarifies" it, and he later claims that he said something completely different.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#322 Post by claybro » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:51 pm

monotonehell wrote:are we supposed to know what the Libs mean? Often Abbott says something, his office "clarifies" it, and he later claims that he said something completely different.
As a swinging voter with no particular political leanings it amazes me how many labour voters (yes even the informal ones) are on this forum. With only 27 percent of sampled voters thinking the government is going a good job, it really surprises me how many posts jump to the governments defense (and sink the boots into the libs) at any oportunity.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#323 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:52 pm

claybro wrote:
monotonehell wrote:are we supposed to know what the Libs mean? Often Abbott says something, his office "clarifies" it, and he later claims that he said something completely different.
As a swinging voter with no particular political leanings it amazes me how many labour voters (yes even the informal ones) are on this forum. With only 27 percent of sampled voters thinking the government is going a good job, it really surprises me how many posts jump to the governments defense (and sink the boots into the libs) at any oportunity.
I don't think the Government's doing a great job. Just because I criticise one thing doesn't mean I support another.

I will say however, I don't understand the utter HATE of Gillard. Sure she's done things that I disagree with, they've pretty much lost my vote. But where does this vile hatred come from all the time? It seems over the top.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#324 Post by claybro » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:43 am

monotonehell wrote:I will say however, I don't understand the utter HATE of Gillard. Sure she's done things that I disagree with, they've pretty much lost my vote. But where does this vile hatred come from all the time? It seems over the top.
Labour leaders such as Hawke and to a lesser extent Keating where very inclusive, inspirational leaders. They attracted votes from all sides because of their visionary and inclusive policies. They did not punish the rich to fund small focus groups and reward support. Our eceonomy is a modern efficient economy, because of the strides those governments made. Julia is despised in many sections because of her aparent willingness to put Labour doctrine first ahead of the good of the country. Unions, despite representing only 15 % of workers have a huge influence over Julia and government policy. Julia is the one that started the personal attacks by the "mysoginy" rubbish (remembering 50 % of voters are men) instead of focusing on running the country. Her handling around questions regaurding shadiny dealings from her time as a lawyer have also not been handled well. I do not recall in my voting life the atmosphere of politics being so poisonous, even within the Labour party itself, and like it or not Julia may not be the creator of this, but she is certainly the willing messenger.

Aidan

#325 Post by Aidan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:44 am

I think most of the hatred is due to what she did to Rudd, and the way she subsequently lied about it. Claiming he was ignoring the views of the cabinet really don't stack up when it's taking their bad advice (over emissions trading) that made Rudd weak enough to challenge in the first place. And now her clinging to power heading for electoral defeat against an opposition that's worse in almost every policy area, when the polls overwhelmingly and consistently show Australians want Rudd back, means that there's good reason for just about everyone to hate her.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Waewick

#326 Post by Waewick » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:43 pm

monotonehell wrote:
claybro wrote:
I don't think the Government's doing a great job. Just because I criticise one thing doesn't mean I support another.

I will say however, I don't understand the utter HATE of Gillard. Sure she's done things that I disagree with, they've pretty much lost my vote. But where does this vile hatred come from all the time? It seems over the top.
Personally for me, I can't stand her because I can't stand the way she talks, it is like she is telling us all off and telling us how to live.

when she talks, I turn off But I can't stand Abbott either so I'm at a loss.

And I agree, I'm sick of pollies over doing there statements about the other parties, everything is so absolute it is ridiculous. I'd love to see some civility return to Australian Politics.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#327 Post by JamesXander » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:18 am

Aidan wrote:
Waewick wrote:The WA position is an utter joke.

If they what more GST funding then the the rest of the Country should be requesting they have different interest rates and $AUD rates applied.
Your silly rhetoric aside, different interest rates for funding infrastructure would be a great improvement on the current situation where the interest rate is the same everywhere despite having a different inflationary effect in different places, and the extent to which infrastructure pays for itself is barely recognised.
For the Sth Australian voting population I think the BIGGEST issue has to be the GST policy of Abbott. If he agrees with a per capita distribution this will financial disaster for SA. If Abbott supports it and you vote liberal, prepare for the worst in SA. You simply cannot take another $1b out of our finances, which are a mess as it is, and not expect massive repercussions. State debt is ballooning, the gst issue could plunge this state into another state bank style recession/stagnation for a long long time.

FWIW I think Barnett is an arrogant tosser, I hope they create a north west economic zone and they push for their own state, scession from WA. See how hard working the overpaid populous of Perth is then when they don't have the pilbara, north west gas shelf gravy train flowing their way.

claybro

#328 Post by claybro » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:51 am

JamesXander wrote:For the Sth Australian voting population I think the BIGGEST issue has to be the GST policy of Abbott. If he agrees with a per capita distribution this will financial disaster for SA. If Abbott supports it and you vote liberal, prepare for the worst in SA. You simply cannot take another $1b out of our finances, which are a mess as it is, and not expect massive repercussions. State debt is ballooning, the gst issue could plunge this state into another state bank style recession/stagnation for a long long time.

FWIW I think Barnett is an arrogant tosser, I hope they create a north west economic zone and they push for their own state, scession from WA. See how hard working the overpaid populous of Perth is then when they don't have the pilbara, north west gas shelf gravy train flowing their way.
James, have you ever been to Perth, or know anyone who works there. From my perspective within my own industry, the people of Perth work longer hours with worse conditions than what their SA counterparts are prepared to work.They earn more because of the hours they work, and therefore pay more tax. Win win for that state. The workforce here of SA I find to be a lazy whinging lot, constantly looking for handouts/ payrises/better conditions. Re Barnett, if he is successful in his quest, good luck to him...as the premier of WA he is just doing his job. Re Abbotts GST...if you really believe any federal government would rip $ billions in funding from the likes of SA and TAS without some kind of other funding arrangements you are falling for our state governments scare capaign on behalf of the Labour Federal government.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#329 Post by jk1237 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:57 am

claybro wrote:
well it is interesting, but I firmly believe the anti-Gillard sensationalism has been incredibly overstated in terms of her disapproval. I do remember reading somewhere that all political polls are done via landline phones, and because of the rise of mobiles and wireless broadband, there has developed a distinct demographic that still have landlines - older people with conservative values. Many younger households are without a phone line, and it would appear that a large labor and green voting base (compared to the conservative liberal voting base) would be without landlines that will not be included in any polls.

Look anyone with a brain should realise now that the role of the opposition (whether it be labor or liberal) is to to find and focus on any negatives to try and make the govt in power look bad and the opposition score political points. If they find a negative, stage 2 is to blow it all out of the water, make a storm in a teacup to get the media involved, who will further sensationalise it to sell more papers to make money. This is what has happened over the past few years and is made easier atm due to the fact News Ltd media have an undisputed relationship with the Coalition.

The other role of the opposition (whether it be labor or liberal) is to oppose the policies of the govt in power, but if they happen to get into power, they will use the same policies but simply change their name to make it look different. For some reason a large brain dead portion of Australia believes that its Gillard that thinks up all policies herself and dont realise that there are thousands of federal govt employees, independant consultants, and research organisations that are highly educated in their research who submit policy recommendations to the govt in power. Politics comes into it when the govt decides which recommendations to implement or not.

claybro

#330 Post by claybro » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:05 pm

jk1237 wrote:well it is interesting, but I firmly believe the anti-Gillard sensationalism has been incredibly overstated in terms of her disapproval. I do remember reading somewhere that all political polls are done via landline phones, and because of the rise of mobiles and wireless broadband, there has developed a distinct demographic that still have landlines - older people with conservative values. Many younger households are without a phone line, and it would appear that a large labor and green voting base (compared to the conservative liberal voting base) would be without landlines that will not be included in any polls
Does anyone here actually speak to business owners?....you know the people that actually employ workers that keep the populace employed and paying tax. Make no mistake, this government is on the nose big time. Many businesses in the real world are just hanging in there. Dont worry about the unemployment rate... There are many employees who have had their hours cut to a bare minimum to hang on. No use blaming the media, the pollsters methods ot whatever else for the unpopularity of the government. The mess they are in is all their own doing, end even today, instead of being out selling a positive result in the super debate, Penny Wong and Julia they are out attacking Abbott for creating fear???-And they call him negative?? These continual personal attacks are part of what makes them unpopular. A more divisive , personally attacking lot i cannot remember. Just get on with running the country ladies!