Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.

Would you support a bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games?

Yes, it would be great for the city
46%
No, waste of money
24%
Not 2018, but 2022 or 2026
30%

Total votes: 104

Spotto
Legendary Member!

Re: Commonwealth Games in Adelaide

#211 Post by Spotto » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:19 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:52 am
I’d say the roadworks for the North-South motorway need to be finished between T2T and Anzac Highway (the crossing points between the airport and the city/games venues) before the games, too. I wouldn't count the cost of building that as part of the cost of hosting the games, either.
The Cross Road Motorway should also be included in the pre-games master plan. Not to mention level crossing upgrades on the other train lines

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#212 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Spotto wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:19 pm
SBD wrote:
I’d say the roadworks for the North-South motorway need to be finished between T2T and Anzac Highway (the crossing points between the airport and the city/games venues) before the games, too. I wouldn't count the cost of building that as part of the cost of hosting the games, either.
The Cross Road Motorway should also be included in the pre-games master plan. Not to mention level crossing upgrades on the other train lines
That route is about freight not people movement, and so is completely separate to Games requirements.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#213 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Bearing in mind everything remains conjecture, this was in today's 'Tiser:
Games boss disputes study
Reece Homfray, 16 September 2019, The Advertiser

AUSTRALIA’S Commonwealth Games boss says he’s staggered by suggestions it would cost the State Government $3.5 billion to bring the event to Adelaide in 2026.

Responding to a Sunday Mail report yesterday, which cited the results of a feasibility study into SA’s potential bid for the Games, Commonwealth Games Australia boss Craig Phillips said the numbers didn’t stack up with 2018 Gold Coast Games infrastructure requirements, which were essentially built from scratch. Commonwealth Games Australia (CGA) and the UK-based Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) have introduced a new model of Games delivery for 2022 and beyond to reduce the cost of the 12-day international sporting event.

According to the Deloitte report, which is due to go before Cabinet this week, the total operating and capital cost of Adelaide hosting the Games would be $3.5 billion.

Mr Phillips said according to the official 2018 Gold Coast post-Games economic report, the net operating cost to the Queensland Government was $950 million and infrastructure and facility spend was $390 million.

“I don’t know what’s in that $3.5 billion number,” Mr Phillips said. “The numbers are odd. That’s certainly not the cost to the South Australian Government and the people of South Australia.

“We obviously haven’t had visibility of the Deloitte report but the Gold Coast costings are a fair way short of that ($3.5 billion). I can’t understand why it would be so high, but we are still in the feasibility phase and hopefully we can keep the discussion going.” The Deloitte report suggests the cost of hosting the Games would include $1 billion to build a new city stadium by the railyards.

Mr Phillips said it was important to note that the new stadium may be a cost of the Games but would benefit the state for decades to come.

“Clearly South Australia needs some infrastructure but that leaves a legacy,” Mr Phillips said. “You build them (facilities) so they are there afterwards, they are not just for the Games. The Games are the catalyst for future use.

“I hope to hear from the Government soon, (today) even, particularly if there is any movement in Cabinet.” Prominent South Australian businessman Robert Gerard, who has advocated for the state to host the Commonwealth Games, said he was “a bit disappointed” by the report declaring the $3.5 billion cost.

“I don’t quite believe it,” Mr Gerard said.

Adelaide remains the only major capital city in Australia yet to host the Games. Queensland, which hosted the 2018 Gold Coast Games, now wants to host the Olympic Games in 2032, and last week unveiled plans to build a new world-class 80,000 seat stadium in Brisbane.
Keep Adelaide Weird

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#214 Post by SBD » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:15 pm

SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:07 pm
Spotto wrote:
SBD wrote:
That route is about freight not people movement, and so is completely separate to Games requirements.
I agree that the motorway's focus is on freight movement. My point is that Henley Beach Road, Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Richmond Road all cross it between the airport and the city. I want to see these roads intact and free of conflict with that freight and roadworks by the time the visitors (athletes, spectators and MEDIA) are arriving for the games. The former Labor government claimed to have a plan to have the whole route completed by 2025. The Liberal government says it is committed to completing it. The department responsible for implementing the plans is very silent on whether it is aware of either government's plans or the feasibility of any timeframes.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#215 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:15 pm
SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:07 pm
Spotto wrote:

I agree that the motorway's focus is on freight movement. My point is that Henley Beach Road, Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Richmond Road all cross it between the airport and the city. I want to see these roads intact and free of conflict with that freight and roadworks by the time the visitors (athletes, spectators and MEDIA) are arriving for the games. The former Labor government claimed to have a plan to have the whole route completed by 2025. The Liberal government says it is committed to completing it. The department responsible for implementing the plans is very silent on whether it is aware of either government's plans or the feasibility of any timeframes.
My response was to Spotto's Cross Road suggestion. I agree regarding South Road.
Keep Adelaide Weird

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#216 Post by HiTouch » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:49 am

I would rather see 3 billion dollars for expanding either/or infrastructure and renewables like Labor was originally doing instead of 3 billion dollars for the Commonwealth Games.

Llessur2002

#217 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:36 am

HiTouch wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:49 am
I would rather see 3 billion dollars for expanding either/or infrastructure and renewables like Labor was originally doing instead of 3 billion dollars for the Commonwealth Games.
In line with the cost of hosting the games in Gold Coast and the projected public cost of the upcoming games in Birmingham, the base cost of Adelaide hosting the event is likely to be around the $800m-$900m mark, the remainder of the 'cost' being infrastructure spend.

For the Adelaide games to cost $3.5bn that's some pretty hefty infrastructure spend - even after you've accounted for a $1bn stadium (which could most likely be built for significantly less on another site).

It would be very interesting to know what infrastructure was included in the figure in the Deloitte report.

Let's also remember that a significant proportion of this infrastructure spend would likely come from the Federal Government and not be forthcoming if Adelaide did not host the games.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#218 Post by zippySA » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:19 pm

Has anyone actually seen this famous Deloitte report? Amazes me the amount of reporting to date including editorials and ongoing stories based upon a few leaked numbers. The real story for me is "who leaked the numbers and to what purpose?". As I discussed with family on weekend - stop drawing conclusions and making decisions based on zero information - this government (and I think all governments at moment) has forgotten that their job / role is to come up with ideas / policies / projects and then to convince us the actual paying public the merit or not of their impending decision.
It's a taxpayer funded report - it should be released and then we can assess the merit / understand where these crazy numbers come from. I'd like to think Adelaide can be smart, nimble and efficient and deliver an event like this within a world beating budget (i.e. don't blow the credit card but be ultra smart and thrifty) - these sorts of decisions should be made based upon a benefit - cost ratio plus social considerations - and if it is a "yes" then we shoot target improving the benefit-cost ratio as a key performance indicator.

andynguyen
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#219 Post by andynguyen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:46 pm

I agree with the fact that 2026 Commonwealth Games may not be the best fit for Adelaide because of the cost, shorter timeframe and infrastructure projects that will not be completed by then. And I think I'll wait for the Queensland government’s decision on whether Brisbane would bid for the 2032 Olympics, which the government says it would be decided by November, before I can give more certainty in my opinion on the next steps for Adelaide.

If QLD decides to bid for and is successful for the 2032 Olympics, it is unlikely the 2030 and 2034 Commonwealth Games will be held in Australia as the federal government may not have the funds or resources to support an Olympics and a Commonwealth Games in a short timeframe, and due to competition for corporate sponsorship. Also 2030 is the centenary of the first Commonwealth Games in Canada so it is likely 2030 will go to Canada. In this scenario Adelaide will have to wait a while to bid for either the Olympics or Commonwealth Games.

However, if QLD decides not to bid for or is unsuccessful for the 2032 Olympics, the South Australian Government should step in and seriously consider the 2036 Olympics as another mega event option for Adelaide – it is a world class event, is the best way to promote Adelaide and SA to the rest of the world and will allow SA to move forward and catch up with the other eastern states. An Adelaide Olympic Games in 2036, if successful, would give SA plenty of time to prepare provided planning starts as soon as possible. Thinking long term could also reduce costs and risks. In addition, 2036 is South Australia’s bicentenary!

Adelaide also have more sports infrastructure than Brisbane. We already have Adelaide Oval, that is close to a main public transport hub, with only a refurbishment or redevelopment of its Western stand needed to provide extra seating capacity at some point in the future. However, we definitely need a new indoor arena and rectangular stadium for Adelaide no matter what. The indoor arena could be built at the railyards in the Riverbank whilst the rectangular stadium could be built at the site of Keswick army barracks, near the Showgrounds. We could also expand the Convention Centre, redevelop the Showgrounds, Memorial Drive and upgrade North Adelaide Golf Course. And if by any chance Adelaide gets the Olympics in 2036, we can keep Hindmarsh Stadium, Entertainment Centre and Titanium Arena until after the Olympics.

In terms of transport infrastructure, by 2036 we will have the North South Motorway completed, further tram extensions and upgrades to the airport, an underground rail around the CBD and possibly the Adelaide Hills and maybe even the Cross Road motorway completed. So, there will be much more progress done and we’ll be in a better shape if Adelaide chooses to bid for the 2036 Olympics than any Commonwealth Games before that!

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#220 Post by gnrc_louis » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Advertiser is reporting a bid won’t be proceeding - article is paywalled though.

Llessur2002

#221 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:10 pm

Adelaide’s bid for the 2026 Commonwealth Games has been officially scuttled by State Cabinet because of a lack of required sports infrastructure and the $3.5 billion cost outweighing the long-term economic benefit.

Sport Minister Corey Wingard left open the option of bidding for the 2030 or 2034 Games as key sporting facilities are built.

This also leaves open the prospect of building a proposed multipurpose arena on the city railyards, the $1 billion-plus price tag of which was the major contributor to the Games’ projected cost.

The Sunday Mail this week revealed the Games bid was on the brink of collapse because an official report found the benefits were less than half the cost.

The key report from advisory firm Deloitte was considered by Cabinet on Monday but a final decision was reached today.

Mr Wingard said the State Government had consistently said it would not bid for the 2026 Games if there was no benefit to taxpayers but argued the State Sporting Infrastructure Plan due by year’s end would pinpoint necessary upgrades to facilities.

“We have always said there was a mountain of work that needed to be done to get SA ready for the type of games we would want to hold by 2026,” Mr Wingard said.

“Although we won’t be bidding for 2026, we have embarked on the State Sporting Infrastructure Plan, which will provide the path forward to ensuring we have the best facilities to attract big events to the state in the future.

“Unfortunately, the cost to the taxpayer was too high to bring the Games to South Australia by 2026, but we remain open to potential bids in 2030 and 2034 as key initiatives from the State Sporting Infrastructure Plan are rolled out.”

The city railyards arena proposal stemmed from a business case commissioned by the Adelaide Entertainment Centre operators as a potential replacement that also would house conventions, tennis, soccer, netball, basketball and other events.

It was expected to be the linchpin of a significant property development ahead of the Games, requiring covering the city railyards with a plaza and other buildings.

Mr Wingard in March declared Adelaide’s bid would go ahead only if hosting the Games would “provide an economic boost and create legacy projects which will benefit our state into the long-term future”.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/co ... a29589d257

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#222 Post by SRW » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Where's this Deloitte report? It should be released publicly.
Keep Adelaide Weird

ml69
Legendary Member!

#223 Post by ml69 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:00 pm

If it’s not feasible in 2026, I can’t possibly see how it might be feasible in 2030 or 2034. The same infrastructure will still have to be built!! And I can’t see the private sector paying for it.

Llessur2002

#224 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:03 pm

The games will be in Canada in 2030 so that leaves 2034.

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#225 Post by cmet » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:40 pm

Unfortunately not surprising