Study on Adelaidians and South Australian's

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
olliepee
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Study on Adelaidians and South Australian's

#1 Post by olliepee » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:34 pm

Thought some of you might find this interesting....

We have just released the second of our ‘SA Says’ reports. This time we explored how people are feeling about themselves as South Australians.

From a marketing and communications perspective, we hope it adds to a healthy debate about how Adelaide can maintain its mojo as one of the best places in the world to live and work.
read more here:

http://adelaide.seenthis.com.au/2009/08 ... wo-cities/

Prince George
Legendary Member!

Re: Study on Adelaidians and South Australian's

#2 Post by Prince George » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks for the link, Olliepee, I thought that was a pretty interesting read. It talks quite a bit about Austin's dynamic contrasts (the weird town in the conservative state) and quotes Paul Graham essays, two favourite topics of mine, so I was pleased even if it lacked the rigour of a real study. For example, they neglect to detail how they chose their respondents and how they conduct the interviews, the sort of methodology details that separate the Advertiser's fluff-pieces from serious academic studies.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by monotonehell » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:45 pm

Prince George wrote:Thanks for the link, Olliepee, I thought that was a pretty interesting read. It talks quite a bit about Austin's dynamic contrasts (the weird town in the conservative state) and quotes Paul Graham essays, two favourite topics of mine, so I was pleased even if it lacked the rigour of a real study. For example, they neglect to detail how they chose their respondents and how they conduct the interviews, the sort of methodology details that separate the Advertiser's fluff-pieces from serious academic studies.
All the sane people in Texas need to live somewhere. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Queen Anne » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:00 am

That was interesting, thank you olliepee.

I'm intrigued by the idea we could be proud, instead of embarrassed, to have our shops closed over Easter. I like the notion that we could confidently just do our own thing, without worrying over what the eastern seaboard does or thinks. Who was it that once said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"? Is it really that important to have the shops open all the time, or is it just the cringe factor that makes us think we need it?

It was also interesting to read about Austin in the 'SA says' report. It made me think of an article I read in 2006, written about SA by an Austin food journo. It seems Austin thinks she could learn a thing or two from her sister Adelaide, too. This article made me smile, and I hope you enjoy it also - always serve your introspection with a side of ego-boost, I say :)

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase ... oid:359260

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Will » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Thank you for posting that article QA!

Indeed, food is one of our strengths. Sadly those in charge of tourism neglect this area. Food tourism can be a focus of tourism for Adelaide and SA as a whole. Think about it, we have all the ingredients here already: The Central Market, a great variety of award winning restaurants, the most restaurants and pubs per capita, a sophisticated cafe culture, close access to world-class wine regions as well as being the home to some of the freshest and msot delicious produce made in Australia.

As a mid-sized city we cannot afford to try and be good at everything. Instead we have to find our strengths and build up on them. We will never be respected by trying to be good at everything but because of this doing most things averagely. We have to accept that we will never be able to compete with the eastern states in things such as nightlife, theme parks and fashion, however this should not worry us. We should instead focus our energy into the things we CAN compete with the eastern states. Food is one such category. Other categories include the arts, wine, education, environmental sustenability...

I also would like to point out what I mean by not trying to compete with say melbourne in the fashion stakes. Melbourne already is the capital of fashion in Australia. There is no point competing against them, as it is a futile fight, which we will always lose and only serve to crush our morale. For example using a personal analogy to illustrate this. Most of my friends like to go to the gym and lift weights. They can bench-press 60-80 kilos. Initially I would go, but every time I would feel inadequate because I had difficulty lifting even half of that. However, then I realsied that it wasn't fair comparing myself to my mates and trying to lift as much as them. I am not a big person, in fact I weigh 63kg. My friends on the other hand weigh up to 110kg. Thus, I felt much better the momemt I stopped comapring myself to them. However this does not mean I walked away and became a couch potato. No, I began to compete with myself. So although, now I have gained some muscle mass and can lift more than before, it is still no-where near what my friends can lift. Yet this does not frustrate me, because for me this is an achievement.

Likewise, returning to the Adelaide example. For example in fashion, we should always strive to be the best WE CAN BE, but at the same time be mindfult that we can't and will never be able to compete with Melbourne.