Women and SensationalAdelaide

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Women and SensationalAdelaide

#16 Post by Queen Anne » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:43 pm

SRW wrote:I wonder if there is actually a fair number of women perusing the site, but few actively participating because of perceived blokey-ness in the forums. I don't mean to denigrate the site, because on the whole, it's a very civil, considered-discussion kind of place. Let me stress that: this is a very useful and productive site that is not by and large sexist. At the same time, I don't wish to perpetrate a soft or 'bleeding hearts' view of femininity. That said, it would be both complacent and false to deny a certain element of 'boys' club' here. There have been instances where even I, as a man, have felt put off by the tone of discussion. I guess a 'boys' club' kind of atmosphere (anecdotally, mostly in The Pub, but sometimes in Development forums) is bound to develop when the majority of posters are in fact male. But just as much as women need to speak up for that to change, male posters ought to bear in mind how the tone and/or topic of discussion will foster such participation -- not only for the sake of female participation, but the credibility of the forum.
Just wanted to say, SRW, how much I appreciate this post. Really well said :)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Norman » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:54 pm

Queen Anne wrote:Interesting posts Shuz. Regarding the first, it is interesting how a website seems to become a place that one feels slightly protective of. It's like a friend that you want the best for :)

Regarding the second post. Are you suggesting a SensAd Facebook group? George reads a development blog here in the US that has one. It's an interesting idea, I wonder what others think?
We already have a Fan Page and Group on Facebook ;)

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by Queen Anne » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:27 pm

Norman wrote:
Queen Anne wrote:Interesting posts Shuz. Regarding the first, it is interesting how a website seems to become a place that one feels slightly protective of. It's like a friend that you want the best for :)

Regarding the second post. Are you suggesting a SensAd Facebook group? George reads a development blog here in the US that has one. It's an interesting idea, I wonder what others think?
We already have a Fan Page and Group on Facebook ;)
Lol, that's me , behind the times again! I'll have to have a look at it.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by Prince George » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:44 pm

Norman wrote:We already have a Fan Page and Group on Facebook ;)
What plans did y'all have for these groups? Each of them have been pretty quiet. I noticed that there was a much larger number of women there than get represented on these forums.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Queen Anne » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Wayno wrote:

we could personally invite some prominent SA women to the forum! we already have many prominent South Aussie males in our member base. Have a think - who would you like to invite? Laura Lee?
I just thought I'd drop a line to say I would be glad to e-mail Laura Lee at the address George found - if that sounds reasonable to everyone, and the VIP group. What do you think?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Wayno » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:14 am

Queen Anne wrote:
Wayno wrote:

we could personally invite some prominent SA women to the forum! we already have many prominent South Aussie males in our member base. Have a think - who would you like to invite? Laura Lee?
I just thought I'd drop a line to say I would be glad to e-mail Laura Lee at the address George found - if that sounds reasonable to everyone, and the VIP group. What do you think?
Absolutely - we're an open forum :-)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by Queen Anne » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:48 am

Wayno wrote:
Queen Anne wrote:

Absolutely - we're an open forum :-)
OK, I'll write to her soon :)