The SA Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Message
Author
User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2986
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1141 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:22 am

HiTouch wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:21 am
For state and Federal Elections, I believe there is no point in voting. Seriously, leave it to established Officials to choose the people most qualified for the job.
So much more streamlined.
So, let corruption reign? Established Officials will end up looking after themselves, meaning they will be for sale to the highest bidder. At least with the current system we're all looking out for ourselves :)
cheers,
Rhino

HiTouch
Legendary Member!
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1142 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:52 pm

rhino wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:22 am
HiTouch wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:21 am
For state and Federal Elections, I believe there is no point in voting. Seriously, leave it to established Officials to choose the people most qualified for the job.
So much more streamlined.
So, let corruption reign? Established Officials will end up looking after themselves, meaning they will be for sale to the highest bidder. At least with the current system we're all looking out for ourselves :)
What is corruption? People benefiting by exploiting the system? At least Corruption creates grey areas where we can keep accountable those in power. And let's be honest, we're not really looking out for ourselves. We get told who to vote for by the media.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1143 Post by HiTouch » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:57 pm

I'm not against democracy or voting when done correctly. However, the country is full of uneducated people though and I think we need to re-educate the populace in understanding how our nation runs and what is needed so they know what they're actually voting for. Rather then trusting what Rupert is telling them, why not establish a General Directorate for Protection of the State.

At the moment the system is being easily exploited and Australia is going down to gurgler, all a government needs to do is cut funding to education (which is what is happening right now. We have an education standard comparable to Bosnia) and you can watch a government stay in power purely because the population knows no better.

User avatar
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2986
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:37 pm
Location: Nairne

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1144 Post by rhino » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:07 pm

You have a point with that education thing, but generally people vote for money.

Rich people vote for whoever will take less of their money and help them make more.
Poor people vote for whoever will give them more money.
No amount of education is going to change that.

However, the middle class needs educating. It's the middle class who are willing to take a little less in order for social services (hospitals, schools, national parks, public transport included) to have a slice of the pie. And the middle class needs to be educated about who will actually deliver these things that they're willing to give up their tax cut or their wage increase to receive.

And they're not going to get that from the newspapers, in general. They're going to have to read some policies, direct from the parties (or the independants) themselves. And they might be surprised about who will really deliver.
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3580
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1145 Post by Waewick » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:00 pm

HiTouch wrote:I'm not against democracy or voting when done correctly. However, the country is full of uneducated people though and I think we need to re-educate the populace in understanding how our nation runs and what is needed so they know what they're actually voting for. Rather then trusting what Rupert is telling them, why not establish a General Directorate for Protection of the State.

At the moment the system is being easily exploited and Australia is going down to gurgler, all a government needs to do is cut funding to education (which is what is happening right now. We have an education standard comparable to Bosnia) and you can watch a government stay in power purely because the population knows no better.
I assume you are one of the enlightened ones?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk


bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 720
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1146 Post by bits » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:46 pm


rhino wrote: It's the middle class who are willing to take a little less in order for social services (hospitals, schools, national parks, public transport included) to have a slice of the pie.
Almost all those sound like money things also.
Public health, public education and public transport is all about what someone would need to pay to get the service they want.

HiTouch
Legendary Member!
Posts: 586
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1147 Post by HiTouch » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:41 am

Waewick wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:00 pm
HiTouch wrote:I'm not against democracy or voting when done correctly. However, the country is full of uneducated people though and I think we need to re-educate the populace in understanding how our nation runs and what is needed so they know what they're actually voting for. Rather then trusting what Rupert is telling them, why not establish a General Directorate for Protection of the State.

At the moment the system is being easily exploited and Australia is going down to gurgler, all a government needs to do is cut funding to education (which is what is happening right now. We have an education standard comparable to Bosnia) and you can watch a government stay in power purely because the population knows no better.
I assume you are one of the enlightened ones?

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Maybe I am? Maybe I am a disaffected Liberal Supporter who has lost faith due to the Liberal Party's inability to "pull their shit together"

Jaymz
Legendary Member!
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm

Re: The SA Politics Thread

#1148 Post by Jaymz » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:09 pm

It's a shame the Liberals are in such disarray, because even amongst all of that they are doing a pretty good job of running the economy during the pandemic.

South Australia's Gross State Product has grown at 3.9% for the 2020/21 financial year and actually topped the nation, probably for the first time in decades.

Most pleasingly is manufacturing seems to be having somewhat of a resurgence....

https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/econo ... st-release

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests