SA Economy

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Jaymz
Legendary Member!

Re: SA Economy

#556 Post by Jaymz » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:23 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:46 pm
Quoting population data changes proves nothing about stopping the brain drain. It just means more people migrated to Adelaide and SA than left interstate. It doesn't specify the actual people who moved. For all we know, the people going out could be highly educated individuals and the people coming in could be retirees. Of course, the reverse could be true as well. This topic needs more analysis than just quoting population statistics.
Loving your lack of positivity Norman, you really are one of us after all :P

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#557 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:56 am

Wow, 60 people. You could fill one pub with after work drinks on a Friday.

The economy is booming!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#558 Post by Jaymz » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:56 am
Wow, 60 people. You could fill one pub with after work drinks on a Friday.

The economy is booming!
I really think you're missing the point. The fact there's currently no overseas migration and our population is hanging steady is quite significant.

If it wasn't for overseas immigration, S.A's population would've actually been in decline for the past 20-30 years. We've lost
tens of thousands of people to interstate migration during that time.

[Shuz]

#559 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:31 am

I really think you're missing the point. I was being sarcastic.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#560 Post by Waewick » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:57 pm

Norman wrote:Quoting population data changes proves nothing about stopping the brain drain. It just means more people migrated to Adelaide and SA than left interstate. It doesn't specify the actual people who moved. For all we know, the people going out could be highly educated individuals and the people coming in could be retirees. Of course, the reverse could be true as well. This topic needs more analysis than just quoting population statistics.
I guess it's more of a saying.

I mean I'm sure we all know plenty of people who moved to QLD that wouldn't qualify as a brain drain.

But their numbers still pad out the saying

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#561 Post by Jaymz » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:22 pm

From todays online version of The Advertiser.....

SA’s unemployment rate dropped by nearly an entire percentage point in November to the lowest level in 12 years

December 16, 2021 - 1:00PM

South Australia’s jobless rate has slumped almost an entire percentage point in a month to the lowest level in 12 years.

Released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Thursday, SA’s unemployment rate for November was 4.6 per cent – a drop from 5.3 per cent in the month prior.

South Australia’s jobless rate was the worst in the nation in September at 5.1 per cent.

Tasmania now holds the mantle for the worst jobless rate in the nation, with 5.1 per cent of their population without jobs.

The lowest unemployment rates were in Western Australia and the ACT which were both recorded at 3.8 per cent.

Minister for Innovation and Skills David Pisoni said more than 10,000 jobs had been created in November.

“There are now a record number of people in jobs (884,500), a record number of people in full-time jobs (576,600) and record number of hours worked (118.8 million) as confidence in the South Australian economy reaches an all-time high,” Mr Pisoni said.

He said the number of unemployed people in the state has fallen by 20,000 this year.

“South Australia’s growing prosperity is underpinned by our exceptionally strong performance in handling both the health and economic threats posed by Covid-19,” he said.

The new data revealed seasonally adjusted employment had increased by 2.9 per cent across the country, according to the ABS.

Bjorn Jarvis, head of labour statistics at the ABS, said the latest data showed the extent of recovery between early October and early November in jurisdictions coming out of Delta lockdowns.

“This included the period of relatively rapid recovery in the second half of October that we saw in payroll data,” he said.

Master Builders Association of SA’s chief executive officer Will Frogley said the fall proved the decision to make building and constriction a top priority for government stimulus was correct.

“There are 6034 more South Australians directly employed in our industry than March 2020, and no other sector generates more jobs and economic growth,” Mr Frogley said.

“The whole state is seeing the benefits. A robust industry has also allowed many more young South Australians to start an apprenticeship, the first step to a long and well-paid career.”

The Property Council of Australia’s SA executive director Daniel Gannon said the new data was an early Christmas present for the community.

“When Covid hit last year, there were predictions of double-digit unemployment, a share market in free fall and real estate market that would crash through the floor,” Mr Gannon said.

“Fast forward to today and South Australia’s jobless rate starts with a ‘4’ rather than a ‘10’, which is an unexpected but enviable position for our state.”

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#562 Post by Jaymz » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:44 pm

Well there you go, I went looking for the December quarter Commsec State Of The States report and realised i'd completely missed the September quarter :o (The December quarter 2021 report should be out in the next few days).

S.A was ranked in equal fifth place with Victoria, which sounds pretty poor..... but W.A was ranked equal third with N.S.W. In a nutshell, Tassie is the clear leader and the others are grouped much closer together.....

https://www.commsec.com.au/stateofstates

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#563 Post by Jaymz » Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:44 pm

As I said above, the Commsec State Of The States for the December '21 quarter has been released. S.A has moved into second place behind Tasmania....

https://www.commsec.com.au/stateofstates

Waewick

#564 Post by Waewick » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:43 am

Will be interesting how this qtr goes, not that the current Govt will see the report.

Will January be as poor as people predict?

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

[Shuz]

#565 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:23 am

This quarter will be a shocker, second only to the original COVID lockdown in 2020 that required the stimulus.

I've never seen consumer confidence so low. Nobody wants to go out or spend money. Even me, of all people.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#566 Post by Jaymz » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:00 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:23 am
This quarter will be a shocker, second only to the original COVID lockdown in 2020 that required the stimulus.

I've never seen consumer confidence so low. Nobody wants to go out or spend money. Even me, of all people.
Yep, the CBD is especially suffering at this point in time, obviously due to the capacity limits and work from home orders for the public sector employees.

Many places haven't even bothered to open up after the holiday season. Hopefully capacity limits are increased very soon, I read possibly a decision
today on that.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#567 Post by Jaymz » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:15 pm

Some more positive news on the jobs front. From todays online version of The Advertiser.....
PwC creating 2000 hi-tech jobs in Adelaide’s Rundle Mall at national hub
A national hi-tech hub in Adelaide’s Rundle Mall operated by global firm PwC will employ 2000 people in skilled jobs. Here’s who they’ll be hiring.

Paul Starick
Editor At Large
@paulstarick
February 10, 2022 - 10:45AM

Two thousand skilled jobs will be created within five years at a service hub operated in Adelaide’s heart by global professional services firm PwC.

This is a dramatic expansion in employment since The Advertiser last March revealed at least 300 jobs would be created within 18 months at the national hub, designed to train skilled workers in high-demand fields.

The centre, which has a strong focus on digital and technology roles including cyber security, cloud computing, analytics and integrated infrastructure, was officially opened on Thursday morning by Premier Steven Marshall.

Of the first 271 people employed, 35 per cent have moved to Adelaide from interstate at their own expense to work at the Rundle Mall hub, in a building once occupied by David Jones.

Announcing the centre last March, PwC said significant growth in job numbers beyond the initial 300 positions was expected during the onshore delivery centre’s first three to five years.

It is now expected this employment figure will increase to 2000 within five years.

This was another example, he said, of “South Australia being a beacon for major companies to set up shop and create thousands of jobs”.

It is understood the decision to base the centre in Adelaide was made without seeking government funds or other support.

PwC Australia chief executive officer Tom Seymour last March said the centre would involve “a blend of experienced technical and managerial staff, as well as a strong pipeline of junior staff with relevant technical qualifications”.

PwC Adelaide managing partner Jamie Briggs said the firm was making a significant investment in growth to meet the rising demand for onshore skills in cyber, cloud and assurance services.

“The South Australian Government also has a strong focus on cybersecurity as an area of economic growth, making Adelaide the new destination for innovation,” said Mr Briggs, a former federal Liberal minister.

“It’s the city Australians want to work in, whether they live in or out of state, and is opening new and different prospects for resourcing and helping to build Australia’s workforce of the future.”

The PwC expansion follows US software giant Salesforce adding to hi-tech firms committing to Adelaide, also including Amazon, Google and Accenture.

Opposition Leader Peter Malinauskas has vowed SA jobs always would be Labor’s number one priority if elected at the March 19 poll, with policies including a hydrogen jobs plan slated to created “thousands of secure, well-paid, new jobs” and a $20bn pipeline of renewable energy projects.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#568 Post by rev » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:00 pm

Thousands of new jobs?
Too bad they'll rush to fill them with overseas migrants instead of investing in training locals, as usual these days.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#569 Post by Jaymz » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:16 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:00 pm
Thousands of new jobs?
Too bad they'll rush to fill them with overseas migrants instead of investing in training locals, as usual these days.
Overseas migrants? Sounds awesome!

Waewick

#570 Post by Waewick » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:15 pm

Jaymz wrote:
rev wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:00 pm
Thousands of new jobs?
Overseas migrants? Sounds awesome!
Agreed, highly skilled migrants.

Would love to see 2 million people in the state

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk