The Federal Politics Thread

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Matt
Legendary Member!

Re: The Federal Politics Thread

#31 Post by Matt » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:32 pm

ALP: 49 (+4) vs LNP: 51 (-4) on two party preferred (Galaxy).

Plus preferred PM as per the Sunday Mail's splash below.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372503754.985662.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372503754.985662.jpg (124.73 KiB) Viewed 3925 times

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

Re: #PRO: UniSA - Centre for Cancer Biology - $80 million

#32 Post by Phantom » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:50 pm

Is this just as likely to be built if a Liberal Government is elected later this year?

I really do kinda fear that this boom in development post-GFC will grind to a halt once Captain Abbott gets elected...
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Phantom » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Is it selfish of me to want to vote for whoever can build and sustain Adelaide's prettiest Skyline, rather than care for any form of electoral campaign? :P
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Dazzeland » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Phantom wrote:Is this just as likely to be built if a Liberal Government is elected later this year?

I really do kinda fear that this boom in development post-GFC will grind to a halt once Captain Abbott gets elected...
Adelaide will die when Captain Big Ears is elected. They will pull funding from all the projects in Adelaide leaving the state government to pick up the slack and another recession. The money that the Labor party put towards Adelaide will go towards turning the boats back to war ravaged countries some Australians are afraid of non white people. Some of the money will go towards projects in Melbourne but ultimately Sydney will be the big winner out of it all. Then the world will blow up.

Sorry for my rant, probably should have posted that in the politics thread (or not at all) :wink:

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by Dog » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:50 pm

Have to agree

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by Brando » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:58 am

Dazzeland wrote:
Phantom wrote:Is this just as likely to be built if a Liberal Government is elected later this year?

Adelaide will die when Captain Big Ears is elected. They will pull funding from all the projects in Adelaide leaving the state government to pick up the slack and another recession. The money that the Labor party put towards Adelaide will go towards turning the boats back to war ravaged countries some Australians are afraid of non white people. Some of the money will go towards projects in Melbourne but ultimately Sydney will be the big winner out of it all. Then the world will blow up.

Sorry for my rant, probably should have posted that in the politics thread (or not at all) :wink:

Too much crap there to even bother with a reply. One thing you're correct, take your views elsewhere.

Dazzeland
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by Dazzeland » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:45 pm

Brando wrote:
Dazzeland wrote:

Too much crap there to even bother with a reply. One thing you're correct, take your views elsewhere.
Will do, sorry if I offended you

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Dog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:41 pm

I feel the Phantom has a very valid point,
SA has benefited greatly from the support from the current Federal government and its contribution has probably kept the State afloat.
Off the top of my head there is: the SAMRI, New RAH, Flinders Cancer Centre, New Adelaide Oval, Rail Extensions and Line duplication, Tram Extension, Southern Expressway, Northern Expressway, South Road Super-way, Desal plant and north south desal water pipeline and pumping stations, Adelaide-Glenelg sewage recycling pipeline, Goodwood and Marion rail underpass, new Marion Aquatic Centre, South Road/Anzac Road Bridge, Tech Port and ship lift, Submarines, Frigates, other defence contracts, Holden's Subsidies, new Mega Tafe at Tonsley, New uni Buildings, Super Schools. And to come the new school of Medicine, SAMRI 2/ CSIRO research centre and the NBN roll out.
The loss of such a generous benefactor must be a real and genuine risk not to be just dismissed.
While Abbott has committed to the Tonsley end of South road, other major projects are at risk including SAMRI 2, Medical school/Research centre, the Submarine replacements, Holden's and then there is their idiotic NBN policy of replacing decaying copper with more coper to the home and paying Telstra to use it. Other policy changes could put wind farms and rooftop solar at risk as well.
I believe there if there is a change there is a very real chance we will be cut adrift in favour of the bigger states and loose our chance for new nation building infrastructure, thousands of current manufacturing jobs and also the possibly loose hundreds of millions in GST funding to other states.
SA has been punching above our weight when it comes to gaining federal support and we are in no real position to put this at risk. The only plans I hear from the other side are cuts, cuts and more cuts, I would much rather the nation borrow to pay for infrastructure than to borrow pay unemployment benefits which is just money and lives down the drain.
Last edited by Dog on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#39 Post by Dog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:47 pm

The poll on the Wednesday still have the lib's in front but by Monday the Morgan poll actually put it labor back in front 51 to 49 it just did not gain any traction in the mainstream news. (And we have a unbiased media I don't think so )

http://www.independentaustralia.net/Wor ... 7132PP.png

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#40 Post by claybro » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Dog wrote:SA has been punching above our weight when it comes to gaining federal support and we are in no real position to put this at risk
Sa punching above its weight for federal support?? Do you ever actually leave this state and see the billions in infrastructure projects elsewhere? We should not strive for an economy based on multi billion dollar federally funded projects, as a state, we will not be in a position to co-fund these projects and regardless of who wins the next Federal election, the brakes will have to be applied to the spending eventually.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by Dog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:31 pm

My point being we don't have the billions of other infrastructure so why shoot gift horse, what will Abbott give us.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#42 Post by Dog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 am

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by dsriggs » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Maybe Abbott shouldn't have gone after Gillard after all...

Matt
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by Matt » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Delicious viewing.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by zippySA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:43 pm

Rather than vote for a "federal benfactor" why don't you think about local MP's who will be the ones that lobby and make a difference for SA. All Governments are run by individual MP's who are elected based upon their local votes - so if Liberal returns with SA MP's - they are the ones who will fight for SA, same goes for Labour.

Personally, I would like to think this State can develop into its own self-sustaining powerhouse that eventually doesn't rely upon a Federal benefactor - frankly I prefer to stand on my own two feet than become a subsidised burden on the Country (and my children who will have to pay the bills currently) - and this State has more potential than a large portion of the worlds Nation States - imagine living in a small, land-locked country with large population and small land mass (like many countries out there). SA should be a powerhouse but we need to take it into our own hands and create it - stop negativity and start generating new opportunity!

Now that's my rant for the day over.