ADVERTISER RIPOFF

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

ADVERTISER RIPOFF

#1 Post by ozisnowman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:04 pm

The changing of Adelaide.com is disappointing to charge people $4 or more to access a website is ridiculous. I hope that more South Aussies boycott this paper and it's greedy owners. Forcing people to pay for news online when we have free to air TV is absurd. Instead of being clever with their one line ads etc they try and charge us an arm and a leg, well NO you greedy scum BYE BYE ADVERTISER and HELLO ABC.COM.AU and SBS.COM.AU

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: ADVERTISER RIPOFF

#2 Post by rev » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:35 pm

It's not really that big of a deal to pay for online news services.
Think about it this way. You've been buying newspapers for many years before the Internet came along into all our homes. Along with that has come a thing called e-books. You can buy e-books online. You can also still buy the regular printed editions from shops.
They are running a business. The fact we have had some of these news sites for free all these years is amazing enough.
They can't rely on revenue from advertising on their sites exclusively, especially when their sites become more and more content heavy and receive more hits.
Those who want to pay, will pay.

Those who don't, will use alternatives like you've suggested.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Matt » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Hopefully their readership declines.

The less people reading the steaming pile of shite News Limited serve up, the better.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by claybro » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:04 pm

ozisnowman wrote:BYE BYE ADVERTISER and HELLO ABC.COM.AU and SBS.COM.AU
Here's a newsflash.... you pay for the services of ABC.COM.AU and SBS.COM.AU through your taxes. Nothing is for free.

Waewick

#5 Post by Waewick » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:20 pm

but really, who actually buys the advertiser? it is rubbish absolute rubbish.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#6 Post by Dog » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:00 am

Advertiser continually runs down or criticises not only Adelaide development but any other positive news. Their angle is to find controversy in every project and give air to even the most ludicrous negative views.
I suspect the advertiser are a bigger hindrance to good news and development than the Adelaide City Council.
The best thing about charging for the new Advertiser on line is that is has helped me quite my addiction of reading this negative Rubbish and I am feeling much better for it.
After reading Adelaide Now it on line for a few years, I recently subscribed to the new Advertiser format but found the new changes just plain irritating.
Even their on line pop up feedback page didn't work properly and had limited and infantile choices. Also found their irritating online surveys would drop out half way through. I thought why pay to read this irritating rubbish and both unsubscribe and deleted it from my favourites. Have now bookmarked the ABC, BBC, InDaly, and Independent Australia.
Now I only read the Advertisers bleak view of the world at Cibo's but still find it irritates me and buggers up a good coffee break.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by ozisnowman » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:25 am

Waewick wrote:but really, who actually buys the advertiser? it is rubbish absolute rubbish.
That's more to the point I think, it's that bad can they possibly think that we are stupid enough to pay for it.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#8 Post by rev » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:31 pm

Heh, the Sunday Mail has gone up by 50 cents to $2.50 :lol:

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by neoballmon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Do they just want to scare ALL their customers away, web and print?
Considering it was $1.70, 6 years ago, that's a hell of a jump.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#10 Post by Dog » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:20 pm

I live on my ipad and think printed papers and i guess books will soon be confined to history, would be happy to pay for online news but just find the advertiser too negative to pay for, tends to sensationalise and politicise every thing. Sometimes just want to read some local good news and there is still plenty of that but it does not get a voice.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Vee » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Dog wrote:I live on my ipad and think printed papers and i guess books will soon be confined to history, would be happy to pay for online news but just find the advertiser too negative to pay for, tends to sensationalise and politicise every thing. Sometimes just want to read some local good news and there is still plenty of that but it does not get a voice.
Agree with you, Dog.
I have always been a 'news junkie' and used to spend up big on newspapers, including Independent ones. But the Internet provides extremely up to date/instantaneous news, greater diversity (essential) and media formats and the opportunity to interact and share. Tablets and smart phones and increasing use of social media and apps and alternative independent sources have upped the ante with easy 24/7 access, instant and global views and conversations and opportunities for 'second screening'.

I think the huge jump in price for the Sunday Mail is an attempt to make the online subscription rates look more attractive. Not sure it will work! I donate to Independent News sources, use Twitter networks for up to date information and favourite topics on the Zite app on my iPad.

I opted out of the local printed media (and The Australian) long ago and I won't subscribe to any of Rupert Murdoch's negative, sensational claptrap. It's rare to see the positives highlighted and readers' comments are full of whingers who attack and find fault with everything.

It also pains me that the only 'news' from SA/Adelaide that gets a run interstate on radio/TV is the negative, nasty stuff - murders, bikies, 'house of horrors' welfare sensationalized stuff. Cringeworthy!

Rene
Gold-Member ;)

#12 Post by Rene » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:45 am

From a family history point of view the digital edition of The Advertiser at least gives me the option of viewing the obituaries, etc. and clipping electronic copies as needed, without having to bother with the physical paper or leaving home. :)

Nathan

#13 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:57 am

By the way, if anyone really wants to read an article without bothering with paywall then just replace the "advertiser.com.au" or "adelaidenow.com.au" part of the article's URL with "news.com.au". You get the article, and without the AdelaideNow commenters to boot!

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Howie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:50 am

I personally don't mind it that much, our traffic on S-A site and Facebook page has spiked since they put up the paywall :)

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Howie wrote:I personally don't mind it that much, our traffic on S-A site and Facebook page has spiked since they put up the paywall :)
:lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.