Adelaide's Population

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
SuperEgz
Gold-Member ;)

Adelaide's Population

#1 Post by SuperEgz » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:03 pm

I know that we currently have a population of around 1.25 million but I was wondering where I would be able to find a table or a graph that will tell me how this has changed over time. I don't really know where to look.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide's Population Over Time

#2 Post by monotonehell » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi on the Internet there's this thing called Google. :wink:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Adelaide%27s+Population+Over+Time

First thing that jumped out at me was that Wikipedia have a chart based on City of Adelaide Figures...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Adelaide

That article includes references to two publications you can probably find in the State or Council Libraries.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Adelaide's Population

#3 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 am

From the AFR. The online article includes pretty graphs but my copy/paste below does not.
Sydney, Melbourne in biggest city race

Sydney is expected to remain Australia’s biggest city in 2030 – although Melbourne is catching up. Photo: Bloomberg

Sydney’s population will top 5.3 million and Melbourne will have more than 5 million inhabitants by 2030, according to the latest United Nations forecasts – but both cities will be dwarfed by Asia's mega-metropolises, which are expected to grow rapidly in the next 15 years.

The UN has updated its city population forecasts and predicts that Sydney will add about 800,000 inhabitants between 2015 and 2030, while Melbourne will gain about 870,000 as its growth outpaces its larger rival.

Brisbane’s population is expected to grow by more than 500,000 to 2.72 million over the same period and Perth will add around 470,000 to 2.33 million. Adelaide’s population is set to rise by 250,000 to just over 1.5 million.

The UN report says the trend towards urbanisation is set to continue globally, with the proportion of people living in cities expected to jump from 54 per cent today to 66 per cent in 2066. While North America is currently home to the most urbanised population, people in Asia and Africa are moving into cities at a much faster pace.

“The continuing urbanisation and overall growth of the world’s population is projected to add 2.5 billion people to the urban population by 2050, with nearly 90 per cent of the increase concentrated in Asia and Africa,” the report says.

As a result, mega-cities in those regions, many already bursting at the seams as a result of several decades of rapid growth, will continue to grow and take over the rankings of cities in other parts of the world.

New York and Sao Paulo are tipped to disappear from the list of the world’s top 10 biggest cities by 2030, as the Bangladeshi capital Dhaka, Pakistan’s largest metropolis, Karachi, and Nigeria’s capital, Lagos, move up.

Japanese cities have long dominated the global mega-cities list, but many of them are shrinking.

It’s expected that Tokyo will remain at the top, despite its population dropping from 37.8 million today to 37.2 million in 2030. The country’s second-biggest city, Osaka, is forecast to drop out of the top 10 as it loses more than 400,000 over the same period.

Globally, a majority of people already live in cities, and the UN forecasts that by 2050 two-thirds of the population will be in urban areas – presenting significant problems for policymakers.

The UN report notes that “cities are important drivers of development and poverty reduction in both urban and rural areas as they concentrate much of the national economic activity, government, commerce and transportation, and provide crucial links with rural areas, between cities, and across international borders”.

But it adds: “Rapid and unplanned urban growth threatens sustainable development when the necessary infrastructure is not developed or when policies are not implemented to ensure that the benefits of city life are equitably shared.”
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:42 am

Here's the pretty graphs.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nathan

#5 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:58 am

Looking at that first graph, I'm curious. What happened in 1970 that caused the rate of growth for all top 5 Australian cities to slow (and why Adelaide slowed a lot more, given that the State Bank collapse didn't happen until 20 years later).

Given the concerns about the ability of Sydney & Melbourne to cope with further expansion, I wonder why the government doesn't at least look at the possibility of incentives to encourage the growth in Brisbane/Perth/Adelaide where there's more room to grow (not physical room, but more opportunities for densification). Spreading the load, rather than putting all the pressure on the two largest cities.

[Shuz]

#6 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:52 pm

The problem with these graphs is that they're just projections. There are so many things that could happen between now and 2030 to affect population growth rates of each of the major cities.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#7 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Nathan wrote:Looking at that first graph, I'm curious. What happened in 1970 that caused the rate of growth for all top 5 Australian cities to slow (and why Adelaide slowed a lot more, given that the State Bank collapse didn't happen until 20 years later).
Well spotted! there was certainly a 'kink' in 1970. I'd hazard a guess that population growth is a lagging indicator - so the trigger may have been many years earlier, whatever it was...
Nathan wrote:Given the concerns about the ability of Sydney & Melbourne to cope with further expansion, I wonder why the government doesn't at least look at the possibility of incentives to encourage the growth in Brisbane/Perth/Adelaide where there's more room to grow (not physical room, but more opportunities for densification). Spreading the load, rather than putting all the pressure on the two largest cities.
I think you're paying too much credit to the fed goverments ability to influence. People & money flow to where most people and money exist. Each of the states with highest population growth have had many decades of decent mining-related income to push them along.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#8 Post by serca » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Looks like oysters will be on the menu over the next 15 years in Dehli . Curried oysters

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:08 am

serca wrote:Looks like oysters will be on the menu over the next 15 years in Dehli . Curried oysters
You promised you'd stay off the drugs. You promised!

:lol:

Sorry, I have no idea what you're on about. Help a fella out with a clue?

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Maximus » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 am

Wayno wrote:
Nathan wrote:Looking at that first graph, I'm curious. What happened in 1970 that caused the rate of growth for all top 5 Australian cities to slow (and why Adelaide slowed a lot more, given that the State Bank collapse didn't happen until 20 years later).
Well spotted! there was certainly a 'kink' in 1970. I'd hazard a guess that population growth is a lagging indicator - so the trigger may have been many years earlier, whatever it was...
The 1960s, in particular, was a boom time for Australia. Big growth in prosperity, manufacturing, etc, along with a sharp increase in the intake of migrants. Then, in the 1970s, things started to slow down and population reverted to a more 'normal' rate of growth.

Have a read of Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Australia
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

serca
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by serca » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 pm

monotonehell wrote:
serca wrote:Looks like oysters will be on the menu over the next 15 years in Dehli . Curried oysters
You promised you'd stay off the drugs. You promised!

:lol:

Sorry, I have no idea what you're on about. Help a fella out with a clue?
I don't need drugs to be weird mate , just am , much like I don't need Facebook to have friends :)

Dehli's predicted population growth over the next 16 years exceed's any other capital city . Oysters supposably a natural aphrodisiac ...... might help them get all bollywood in the bedroom

rhino

#12 Post by rhino » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:13 am

Maximus wrote:The 1960s, in particular, was a boom time for Australia. Big growth in prosperity, manufacturing, etc, along with a sharp increase in the intake of migrants. Then, in the 1970s, things started to slow down and population reverted to a more 'normal' rate of growth.

Have a read of Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Australia
I think Maximus has got it right here - I was going to say something very similar myself.
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:18 pm

serca wrote:Dehli's predicted population growth over the next 16 years exceed's any other capital city . Oysters supposably a natural aphrodisiac ...... might help them get all bollywood in the bedroom
Wow, mind blown. That was an amazingly cryptic post. Ten thousand Internet points to you!

ml69
Legendary Member!

#14 Post by ml69 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:30 pm

I think I read somewhere that, for a short period of time in the 1960's, Adelaide was the fastest growing capital city in Australia.

Seems surreal now.