Adelaide in Lonely Planet's Top 10 for 2014

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Vee
Legendary Member!

Re: Beer Garden

#1 Post by Vee » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 am

Adelaide ranked in top ten cities to visit by Lonely Planet.

Adelaide has made Lonely Planet's top ten Best in Travel 2014 list. Well deserved recognition of the charms, attractions, ("effortlessly chic") and changing face of Adelaide. As usual, the City of Churches moniker gets an airing but in a 'heavenly' way and the report alludes to our fine wine reputation.

Kudos to those who played a large part in the developments/factors largely responsible for earning this glowing praise.
The Adelaide Oval redevelopment and emerging riverbank precinct, laneways revitalization and urban spaces/places, infrastructure improvements and our foodie culture and fresh local produce, highlighted by our gem of a Central Market.

In particular, some praise, IMHO should go to the current State Government and Rod Hook (DTEI) for its infrastructure developments, improving public transport incl the tram extension, extensive WiFi access thanks to Internode, our Lord Mayor, Stephen Yarwood for his vision in revitalizing the city and our quality restaurateurs and food and wine producers, many of whom were recognized in the SA 'Tiser Good Food Awards last night.
Adelaide may often be overshadowed by Australia's bigger eastern capitals, but the city of churches is a heavenly place to visit, according to the world's leading travel guide.

The city has been ranked as one of the top 10 cities in the world to visit by Lonely Planet, finishing ninth in the company's Best in Travel 2014 book.
The annual publication documents the best trends and destinations for the forthcoming year, with the list headed by Paris, Trinidad and Cape Town.

"Having always lived in the shadow of its gregarious eastern-seaboard cousins," Lonely Planet says, "the 'City of Churches' has been quietly loosening its pious shackles and embracing its liberal foundations."

"Adelaide is effortlessly chic – and like a perfectly cellared red, it's ready to be uncorked and sampled."

No other Australian city made the top 10, although the Kimberley in Western Australia was ranked second in the list of the world's top 10 regions to visit.
Lonely Planet's Chris Zeiher says the Adelaide Oval redevelopment sparked the city's nomination.
"There's going to be more people probably staying in the CBD to see events," he said.

"Then there's this really cool stuff that's going on with the transformation of some of the spaces within the city itself."

He also says the city's food culture played a part in helping Adelaide make the top 10.
"Of course, Adelaide is a foodie destination anyway and it's incredibly parochial about its local produce."
ABC News. Incl List of Top Ten :
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-29/a ... it/5051300

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2 Post by jk1237 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:20 am

:applause: I think this deserves its own thread :cheers:

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Maximus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:20 am

Not sure if this is just coincidental timing, but there's also this nice article from New York magazine... "Adelaide Instead of Sydney":
Adelaide Instead of Sydney

Like its eastern cousin Sydney, Adelaide has eclectic cuisine, idyllic beaches, Shiraz wineries, and kangaroo-spotting galore—but with a fraction of the tourists and for a whole lot cheaper.

Among Adelaide’s array of standout locavore restaurants is the newly opened Peel Street (9 Peel St.; 8231-8887)—whose mulloway-fish pasty (one of the few recurring dishes on the ever-changing Middle Eastern–Asian–Greek–inspired menu) is sourced straight from the Murray River. At the French-style Bistro Dom (Shop No. 1, 24 Waymouth St.; 8231-7000), the owners do their own fermenting, cure their own meats, and forage for ingredients in the Adelaide foothills. Now that recently revised liquor laws have made it easier for small venues to obtain licenses, the city has seen a boom in boutique bars.

Once known as a city of serial killers and churches, Adelaide is now jokingly referred to as Australia’s answer to Portland. (Adelaindia?)

full article
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Vee
Legendary Member!

Adelaide in Lonely Planet's Top 10 for 2014

#4 Post by Vee » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:27 am

jk1237 wrote::applause: I think this deserves its own thread :cheers:
Mods: Agree?

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by Maximus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:44 am

Might make more sense for it to go here and just re-name that thread with a slightly more general title...?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#6 Post by Vee » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:04 am

Maximus wrote:Might make more sense for it to go here and just re-name that thread with a slightly more general title...?
Good suggestion, Maximus.
Adelaide tops...??

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#7 Post by Waewick » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:20 pm

http://mobile.news.com.au/travel/austra ... 6748961937

it is disappointing that anyone felt the need to write this.

Nathan

#8 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:38 pm

Waewick wrote:http://mobile.news.com.au/travel/austra ... 6748961937

Sydney "journalist".

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#9 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:54 pm

I actually emailed the editor on that one. All I got in reply was "The Editor will review your suggestion."
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Vee » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:20 pm

monotonehell wrote:I actually emailed the editor on that one. All I got in reply was "The Editor will review your suggestion."
What a vile piece of non-journalism by Anthony Sharwood, Sydney, from News Ltd @antsharwood
He obviously spent some time putting together this nasty diatribe and, it reflects not only on his professionalism??, but also the standards of the Editors of News Ltd (not surprised) that they considered this worthy of publication.

It's good to see so many folk on Twitter, locals, ex-pats, in-migrants, and many from other states standing up for Adelaide and chastising Anthony for his ignorant, bitchy, hate piece.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Vee » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Great photo by @teaandboots showing street party vibe in Leigh St to celebrate the Top 10 listing by Lonely Planet.
http://instagram.com/p/gCTZw5rGlN/

Waewick

#12 Post by Waewick » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:56 pm

i actually dont see a need to dignify it with a complaint. In reality news limited will be stoked people are reading it.

and from what i can see he pretty much specializes in those types of articles.

I just find it disappointing that he cant even get update stereotypes and relies on decade old cliches to bag Adelaide.

The sad part is that this type of crap sells papers because it aims low and beats its target. meaning the intellectual midgets get a laugh.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#13 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Waewick wrote:i actually dont see a need to dignify it with a complaint. In reality news limited will be stoked people are reading it.

and from what i can see he pretty much specializes in those types of articles.

I just find it disappointing that he cant even get update stereotypes and relies on decade old cliches to bag Adelaide.

The sad part is that this type of crap sells papers because it aims low and beats its target. meaning the intellectual midgets get a laugh.
Yes I contemplated the no response is the best response, response... but instead went with:
"Really? You decided to publish this insecure rant? Do you actually have an editorial process? Wow..."
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

[Shuz]

#14 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:35 pm

How in the fucking fuck was that ever allowed to be published!?

News Limited. Setting a new low, every day. Ka-ching!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by Will » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Waewick wrote:http://mobile.news.com.au/travel/austra ... 6748961937

Today should have been a day of national pride, to think that one of the world's most respected travel websites chose an aussie city in their top 10 list.

Unfortunately, because it isn't Sydney or Melbourne, it has unleashed a torrent of hate and vitriol that defies explanation. I recall something similar happened last year when Hobart was included in the list or a few years back when Darwin was included. The same arrogant and narcissistic diatribe was spewed across news.com. However, this year it has reached new lows. It makes you wonder why we are hated so much. Sydney and Melbourne cannot seriously see us as a serious rival. Also, I don't think people today resent us for being the only 'free' colony. It makes me wonder whether there is an aspect of unconscious misogyny in all of this, as Australia's only 'female' capital?

However to end on a positive note, I think such an award is justified. Adelaide may not appeal to the many philistines that read news.com, as it doesn't have obvious tourist attractions (i.e. the Gold Coast), but rather it offers a plethora of experiences that when combined create a unique place which satisfies your gastronomic, oenologic, artistic and cultural cravings.