Holden 'to close Australian operations in 2017'

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
serca
High Rise Poster!

Re: Holden 'to close Australian operations in 2017'

#61 Post by serca » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:07 pm

Going out on a limb, does anyone think it's a bit suss that Nissan AND Mercedes both entered the V8 super car series in 2013 with Volvo indicating it would enter in 2014. Maybe people in the know already new regardless of which Party was in Government Holden's was going to cease manufacturing in Aus regardless

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by Dog » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:07 pm

serca wrote:Going out on a limb, does anyone think it's a bit suss that Nissan AND Mercedes both entered the V8 super car series in 2013 with Volvo indicating it would enter in 2014. Maybe people in the know already new regardless of which Party was in Government Holden's was going to cease manufacturing in Aus regardless
Probably more to do with the fact Holden had already announced it was going to build two new cars from 2016 in Adelaide both front wheel drive. (No v8's)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by Dog on Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#63 Post by Dog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:19 am

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by SRW » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:31 am

jk1237 wrote:
claybro wrote:The demise of Holden is sad news, from the point of losing another iconic Australian brand, but maybe, just possibly, it could be a blessing in disguise to this state. The Federal government is now locked in to spending hundreds of millions in this state, much of it on much needed infrastructure and also to diversify manufacturing here. We had become obesessed with saving Holden, and yes, many thousands who lose their jobs, and may never find well payed employment again. however, what is yet to be calculated is the new opportunites that will become available in the next decade of increased infrastructure spending and new jobs created in other industries such as defence and mining services, supported by decent efficient roads, rail and ports, rather than just shovelling money off to Detroit to prop up that bankrupt city, and paying 1300 production line workers well above the average wage.
well I do hope you are right, I am interested in what this Abbott federal govt is going to do for our state to cover for expected job losses. So far it appears his plan is to spend zero on anything in SA simply because we have a state labor govt, and has to revenge us for this. If these federal liberal idiots can realise they are not in opposition but actually running the country we may get somewhere, but atm all they are interested in is blaming everything on the previous govt and trashing the labor brand.
At this point, I'm not hopeful for much or anything given Abbott's abject indifference to the job losses and their social/economic repercussions, as well as the heretofore parsimonious manner his government has treated SA.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#65 Post by Waewick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:12 am

Dog wrote:Image

So How full of shit is GMH.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by Dog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:45 am

Waewick wrote:
Dog wrote:Image

So How full of shit is GMH.
The facts
Early 2012 GMH , the State/ Gillard Labor governments reached an agreement to build 2 new cars in Adelaide, from 2016 both front wheel drive. (As in the news paper article above)

Holden's future till 2022 had been assured with a $500m federal industry package to be shared between Holden, Ford and Toyota. Plus state government assistance!

At this point (2012) spoiler Abbott (still in opposition but a shoe in to win the 2013 election) announces if elected in 2013 he would not honour labor's $500m package. The right of the Liberal party and news media began a fierce campaign against car industry subsidies right through 2012 -2013. Bipartisan support for the car industry was immediate shot, long term investment was on hold from that day! Holden's realised they were in for a fight, unions at Holden's reacted by voting accept a to a pay cut.

Ford with falling Australian sales and with no viable export product in the Falcon take Abbott at his word and jump ship before the election.

Holden's assume if Elected Abbott may relent and renegotiate, I fact after Fords withdraw Abbott gives Holden some hope by announcing all future industry funding would be based on a report from the Industry commission. Holden's/GM prepare a submission to the industry commission to argue their case for survival and co investment till 2022.

In the week before Holden's appearance at the commission Senior Liberals leak stories to the ABC that Holden's are leaving.
On the day of Holden's submission, Joe Hockey makes an unprecedented attack on a Holden's in Parliament goading them to announce closure.
The industry Minister who is still working to save Holden's is sidelined when Abbott supports Hockey's rant against Holden and announces, regardless of his own industry commission report Holden's would not receive a cent of Gillard $500m deal.

Holden's immediate reaction to Hockey's a scathing attack in parliament and Abbott's announcement that their $150m per year share of the agreement they had struck with Gillard would not be honoured announce that with out this car manufacture in Australia was no longer liable and the would close.

Those that argue that Ford closed on Labor's watch and Abbott has only been in for 100 days fail to accept that from the time of Abbott's announcement way back in early 2012 that he would not honour Labor's industry package that the car industry was stuffed.

Holden's didn't go back on their agreement, it's just that Abbott refused to back it once elected.

I am more than happy to keep post the news cuttings of the concerted effort by the east coast liberal right to cut car industry funding and for that matter the same liberals over the last three years trying to sink our submarine project by pushing the leasing US subs instead of building our own in SA. Let's hope they don't win that battle as well!

Last edited by Dog on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Waewick

#67 Post by Waewick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I think there is no doubt that the liberals aren't keen on continued support of the motor industry.

I Have no doubt about that.

Again how i will judge this government is what they put in place to develop sustainable developments moving forward.

I have to admit I don't buy either Holden or Toyota so there origin of construction doesn't phase me.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#68 Post by rev » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Well said Dog. Some people just want to bullshit and have everyone believe their bullshit.

In related news, apparently the new Holden Commodore will be built in China from 2017 onwards, will also be sold as a Buick in China, will be front wheel drive and have a four cylinder engine.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/nati ... 6783057648

Way to go Abbott and Hockey. Mission accomplished.

Waewick

#69 Post by Waewick » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:29 pm

They were never going to build buicks for China here. That is half the problem.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#70 Post by Dog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Waewick wrote:They were never going to build buicks for China here. That is half the problem.
Hi Waewick, GM are no angles either, we were never going to compete on very small cars anywhere but Commodore as a Chevy SS has had and keeps having great reviews in the US, it's GM who decides if we get a look in and how many we sell, unfortunately they have to respond to US domestic political pressures, it's was hard for them to go cap in hand to the US government seeking billions in bail out money to support US jobs and import Holden's at the same time.
Holden has always been hamstrung by it's US owners I am sure if left to own devises we would have cars in many more markets.

At least the US government were willing to bail out their car industry to ensure it survived, it really a issue of National industrial capacity and defence, we just appear happy to surrender.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#71 Post by rev » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:07 pm

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... 6782002606

Ford 2016, Holden 2017, Toyota 2018..

Dog, what Holden should have done instead of wasting time on Vectra's, Astras, Cruze's and more recently Malibus, is revive the Torana as a small and mid sized car.
Similar to the new Impreza which comes as a hatch and sedan.
It would have been wildly successful. They could have even based on a global platform, or used it as the base for a global platform.

They would have had a car that would have appealed to locals as much as the Commodore has, and to the non-rev heads who just want something economical to go from a to b, and a car that would have had massive export potential, much more then an SS re-badged as a Chev.

Hell, for all we know one of those two front wheel drive cars they were planning from 2016 onwards which Abbott and the slug Hockey torpedoed, could have potentially been the revival of the Torana..remember they did show a concept of a modern Torana a few years ago. Some of the design styles were adopted on the VE Commodore.
At least the US government were willing to bail out their car industry to ensure it survived, it really a issue of National industrial capacity and defence, we just appear happy to surrender.
That's what most people don't seem to realize. They are too wrapped up in the nonsense of why bail out a failing industry that the politicians keep spinning in the complicit media.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#72 Post by Dog » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:15 pm

rev wrote:http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... 6782002606

Dog, what Holden should have done instead of wasting time on Vectra's, Astras, Cruze's and more recently Malibus, is revive the Torana as a small and mid sized car.
It would have been wildly successful. They could have even based on a global platform, or used it as the base for a global platform.

They would have had a car that would have appealed to locals as much as the Commodore has, and to the non-rev heads who just want something economical to go from a to b, and a car that would have had massive export potential, much more then an SS re-badged as a Chev.

Hell, for all we know one of those two front wheel drive cars they were planning from 2016 onwards which Abbott and the slug Hockey torpedoed, could have potentially been the revival of the Torana..remember they did show a concept of a modern Torana a few years ago. Some of the design styles were adopted on the VE Commodore.
That's what most people don't seem to realize. They are too wrapped up in the nonsense of why bail out a failing industry that the politicians keep spinning in the complicit media.
Dead right!

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by JAKJ » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:54 am

rev wrote:http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... 6782002606

The problem with that is that GM has no end of mid-sized sedans that it can pick from it's global range. There is no way they would spend the money to develop and build yet another small-mid sized car in Australia when these cars already exist within the GM world and can be sourced more cheaply outside of Australia (same goes for SUVs, cross-overs etc). Really, the Commodore was the only product that Holden could produce that would make the operations viable because it is a unique product in the GM range. A large RWD sedan at a comparatively low price point. Unfortunately GM showed little to no interest in developing a proper export market for this.

Waewick

#74 Post by Waewick » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:37 am

I'd say a lot of people would be focuses on the why bail out a failing industry, but the sadly they can be right by for the wrong reasons

America can afford to bail out their car manufacturers because they are based there, they get all of the benefit of keeping these car manufacturer and headquarters there.

All we will ever get is some scraps and the ability to build cars only for Australia (and a tiny limited export market)....I'd also point out that following Americas lead on things gave us the GFC :hilarious:

The other point which needs to be cleared up, is that Australia does build things and build things well, just not things that can be easily duplicated in China for a fraction of the cost.

claybro

#75 Post by claybro » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:17 pm

Would it be possible for Rev and Dog to put thier political ideology aside on this matter?.....you guys are way out of step with general sentiment on this. There is too much at stake for political point scoring, and to blame the current government, or even the former government for not continuing to flog a dead horse.??? Should the Abbot government not provide some clear direction and decent funding, then by all means go your hardest, but lets put the blame game aside just for now eh!