Uber

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Uber

#1 Post by ghs » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:32 pm

Anyone used Uber in Adelaide ?

If so, please share your experience.

Being a stingy type of person I am just wondering if it's cheaper then a taxi and also what the
service is like.

Also what about driving for Uber, has anyone thought about it ?

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

Re: Uber

#2 Post by JAKJ » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Uber black is more expensive, but they use "town cars" i.e. Holden Caprices. Uber x is cheaper (30% cheaper) than taxis, however they have not launched in Adelaide yet (I exclusively use them in Perth as no patiences for crappy taxis anymore). I have found Uber X to provide a great service and have not had any trouble with them.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by neoballmon » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:15 pm

I looked into being a driver for Uber, but my car (which I purchased just before Uber was in the Adelaide market) is a 2003 model, and they only allow you to drive cars 9 years old or less for insurance purposes. So that blew that out the window for a few years until I get a newer car.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

ghs
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4 Post by ghs » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:38 pm

JAKJ, I believe that Uber is operating here in Adelaide as they were advertising for drivers
about a month ago.

I wouldn't imagine that the money invovled in driving for Uber would be too good.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#5 Post by spiller » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:31 pm

i have used them on a couple of occasions and will continue to do so. its about the same cost as a taxi, and far more comfortable and better smelling inside the car. the driver said there are current around 40 drivers for black in adelaide, so its still very small. I would even love to do it on the weekends as a bit of side cash but i dont currently own a town car so the outlay exceeds the income in my case.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Wayno » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#7 Post by JAKJ » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:29 pm

ghs wrote:JAKJ, I believe that Uber is operating here in Adelaide as they were advertising for drivers
about a month ago.

I wouldn't imagine that the money invovled in driving for Uber would be too good.
Last time I was in Adelaide (two weeks ago) they only had uber black not uber x, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are gearing up to launch uber x soon.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#8 Post by mshagg » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18 pm

I have used uber black a couple of times, one of them in a pinch because i couldnt get through to an operator to call a taxi. Both fares were the min $20 and a taxi would have only cost a couple of bucks less.

Cars are nice, experience is good.

Watch out for surge pricing if it's a busy night in town.

Uber X is in for a shitfight with the transport minister is it not?

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by Smithy85 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Have also used Uber a few times and its been great. They have been using a 'promotional' pricing scheme though where they pretty much match taxi rates, however it increases to 'normal' from tomorrow. Increases are a bit hefty, and the new structure is: $8 base fare, 45c per minute, $2.05 per km. City/Airport trips are also a flat $50 now. Not sure i'll continue to use it to be honest.

JettyJack
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#10 Post by JettyJack » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:37 pm

Smithy85 wrote:Have also used Uber a few times and its been great. They have been using a 'promotional' pricing scheme though where they pretty much match taxi rates, however it increases to 'normal' from tomorrow. Increases are a bit hefty, and the new structure is: $8 base fare, 45c per minute, $2.05 per km. City/Airport trips are also a flat $50 now. Not sure i'll continue to use it to be honest.
similar experience with me. used it many times, but recently with the price changes, it does not have the same value for money anymore.
eg. used to be $30-$32 from glenelg to the city, about same as taxi, but better car, better service, ease of booking, etc, def made it worth it. but saturday night just been, $40 to the city, got a cab home for $32.20 over the exact same distance. not worth the extra $ for 20min journey.

i hope they can bring UberX to a-town

i do still prefer ubers service and how user friendly it is, but for 20-25% more it is making me think twice.

jwhit16
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#11 Post by jwhit16 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:34 am

Uber is almost always 30% cheaper than a taxi service in any location, on average at least. Surge pricing can make it significantly more expensive at certain times of the day though. I have been driving for Uber for about 6 months, and as a driver it's been a great way to make some cash on the side. Got a sign up bonus when I applied too, <url removed>

Mod note: as this is your first post linking to a sign up site seems like self promotion. But since you are posting on topic, you have not been automatically banned for spam. Welcome to the site, we look forward to your continued involvement with this community.

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by mshagg » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:52 am

So the wires are suggesting the Premier is going to announce that ride sharing (UberX) will be permitted in South Australia from 1 July.

EDIT:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-12/t ... et/7319178

Key points:
•Compensation package for those in the taxi industry include $30,000 payment per licence
•There are 1,035 taxi licences in SA
•All metro taxi trips will have a $1 levy to fund assistance

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#13 Post by crawf » Mon May 16, 2016 12:23 am

Uber X arrived in Adelaide on Friday afternoon.... and is currently FREE until further notice!. I used Uber X twice over the weekend and found the service brilliant and reliable. The drivers were both good and the cars were top quality.

I must admit I was pretty apprehensive using Uber X at first, however after this weekend I would definitely use them again. It was really good to see the driver's photo, car details and their 1-5 star rating compared to taxi drivers where it can be a game of hit or miss. It's also a very cool feature to see live mapping of your Uber car through the entire journey.

Don't get me wrong there are some really good taxi drivers out there, however I have lost count the amount of times I have been ripped off by drivers doing under the speed limit, taking the long scenic route or the unprofessionalism of some drivers. Plus the stench of some cars and the countless phone calls to overseas....

The taxi council can scare monger the public as much as it likes, but you have won me over Uber.

realstretts
Gold-Member ;)

#14 Post by realstretts » Mon May 16, 2016 7:34 am

I caught an Uber saturday night around 1030pm from Grenfell st in town to home. Another ocuple was with us and needed to be dropped off on the way - no complaint from driver. I've had taxi's charge me extra for extra drop off. Car smelled nice, driver was nice, trip would have cost me $22 without the free promo running. A cab fare from pretty much same place to my home without another drop off would have been pushing $30.

It is my third Uber trip, the other two I have caught in Melb. So far I am very very impressed

Tran90
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#15 Post by Tran90 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:54 am

Recently returned from the west coast of the US where we were using UBER and LYFT as the service is half the price of the taxi service and much more efficient. Before using it I was sceptical like most South Australians but after seeing the impact its made in the US as well as the eastern states of Australia I don't see how it wont work here if people give it a chance. It will also give the taxi service some competition forcing them to improve their service/prices otherwise they will be virtually inexistent like we found them to be in parts of the US, which only benefits the consumer. Used the service in Adelaide on the day that UBER offered the X service for free and had no complaints!