representation matters

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

representation matters

#1 Post by rev » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:40 pm

What a giant waste of money, but then again it is the Adelaide City Council so no surprise.

What about a "walk" for straight people?
What about a "walk" for any other demographic group?
Why just for homosexuals?

Kind of like womens rights...the hardcore feminists demand equal rights blah blah, but then the moment a bloke treats them just like they would a bloke, it's "oh you cant treat women like that blah blah blah". Now it's the homosexuals. They want equal rights, but then they have to have all these special things for them selves that the rest of us have to put up with and have no choice or say in. Crock of shit.

If they want to waste money on showing the world how they are pretending to be progressive, why don't they spend the money on a "walk" or park that's about unity, regardless of your gender, ethnicity, religion, or sexual preferences?

And don't anyone say that this is about unity, because we all know what demographic group uses the rainbow flag.

Matt
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2 Post by Matt » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:54 pm

"Where's my walk too?"

When you've spent decades being treated differently by the law, criminalised, marginalised, bullied, beaten up and, in some cases, even murdered, purely for merely existing, then you may credibly expect a "straight persons walk", too.

Funny how a public show of support for a group of people that have been pissed on by certain sections of society for so long can bring out such bitterness in people.

rev

#3 Post by rev » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Matt wrote:"Where's my walk too?"

When you've spent decades being treated differently by the law, criminalised, marginalised, bullied, beaten up and, in some cases, even murdered, purely for merely existing, then you may credibly expect a "straight persons walk", too.

Funny how a public show of support for a group of people that have been pissed on by certain sections of society for so long can bring out such bitterness in people.
So your idea of equality is to treat one group as special with special things that are intended for them?
And your justification is that that group was treated badly once upon a time? Oh boohoo, they are the only ones to have been treated badly by society or segments of society.

If that's your justification, then I'm 100% right to demand a walk for my kind too. I'm an "ethnic", whose been on the receiving end of plenty of racism and bigotry. Am I deserving of a walk of my own?
Or is my non-existent cause different and less deserving, because the media isn't pushing my cause?

If someone wants to be treated as an equal to others(who are different), why does that person then insist on special treatment? It's ridiculous.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#4 Post by Matt » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:17 pm

It's intended for everyone - there won't be a door bitch restricting access purely to card carrying LGBT folk, it's a piece of public art.

...and it's not "once upon a time" - your patronising 'boohoo' attitude sums up exactly why efforts like this are still necessary today.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:41 pm

There's public art and infrastructure all over the city for various minority and ethnic groups. It adds colour and culture. This "why do THEY get something?" complaint is bullshit. Society is full of things that might not be for your benefit specifically.

rev

#6 Post by rev » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:45 pm

Matt wrote:It's intended for everyone - there won't be a door bitch restricting access purely to card carrying LGBT folk, it's a piece of public art.

...and it's not "once upon a time" - your patronising 'boohoo' attitude sums up exactly why efforts like this are still necessary today.
Contradicted your self there mate.
You say it's for everyone. But then say efforts like this are still needed..so obviously it's aimed at homosexuals, not straight ethnics like me.

I don't feel like this rainbow walk thing is intended for me.
I'm not homosexual, what does the rainbow flag have to do with me?
How is this aimed at me, when I'm straight, and it's stated and obviously aimed at homosexuals?

This isn't equality. Which is interesting that homosexuals support this polarizing nonsense since what they apparently want is equality.

My attitude would be the same if this was a walk for any ethinc group, including my own.
It's a stupid idea, and a waste of rate payers money.

rev

#7 Post by rev » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:54 pm

Nathan wrote:There's public art and infrastructure all over the city for various minority and ethnic groups. It adds colour and culture. This "why do THEY get something?" complaint is bullshit. Society is full of things that might not be for your benefit specifically.
Where? Name it all and the locations.

Ah, it's bullshit is it? Why because my opinion doesn't fit in with your beliefs? Typical politically correct madness that's ruined this country.

I don't know what's more hilarious, the fact homosexuals wand to be treated as equals in society, but then expect special preferential treatement. :lol:

Nathan

#8 Post by Nathan » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:51 pm

rev wrote:
Nathan wrote:There's public art and infrastructure all over the city for various minority and ethnic groups. It adds colour and culture. This "why do THEY get something?" complaint is bullshit. Society is full of things that might not be for your benefit specifically.

Ah, it's bullshit is it? Why because my opinion doesn't fit in with your beliefs? Typical politically correct madness that's ruined this country.

I don't know what's more hilarious, the fact homosexuals wand to be treated as equals in society, but then expect special preferential treatement. :lol:
An obvious one would be the paifang and lions that mark the two ends of Moonta St, representing the Chinese community. Why do THEY get something?

There's a Japanese Garden representing the Japanese community and our sister city relationship with Himeji. Why do THEY get something?

There's various artworks around the city representing aboriginal culture, "Lie of the Land" in the western parklands as one example. Why do THEY get something?

There's a sculpture for Afghan cameleers in Whoitmore Square. Why do THEY get something?

We can take it further

There's playgrounds in the city for children. Why do THEY get something?

There are memorials for soldiers in the city. Why do THEY get something?

There's statues of sports starts in the city for those into sports. Why do THEY get something?

There's tram lines that are only useful for those that take public transport. Why do THEY get something?

There's some public toilets that have rooms just for parents with young children. Why do THEY get something?

We could go on and on. That's how society works. Not everything in the city is there to represent you or to fill your needs. All of us share the space with others, and many of those may belong to groups that deserve some kind of recognition to demonstrate that we consider them welcome members of our society. It's not about giving special preferential treatment, it's about saying here's something that represents your group and we're proud to have it as part of our community.

I never said your opinion was bullshit, I said your argument was bullshit. Why do THEY get something is what pre-schoolers use when their sibling gets something and they don't.

Patrick_27

#9 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:37 pm

rev wrote:
Matt wrote:It's intended for everyone - there won't be a door bitch restricting access purely to card carrying LGBT folk, it's a piece of public art.

Contradicted your self there mate.
You say it's for everyone. But then say efforts like this are still needed..so obviously it's aimed at homosexuals, not straight ethnics like me.

I don't feel like this rainbow walk thing is intended for me.
I'm not homosexual, what does the rainbow flag have to do with me?
How is this aimed at me, when I'm straight, and it's stated and obviously aimed at homosexuals?

This isn't equality. Which is interesting that homosexuals support this polarizing nonsense since what they apparently want is equality.

My attitude would be the same if this was a walk for any ethinc group, including my own.
It's a stupid idea, and a waste of rate payers money.
Rev, could you sound anymore like a homophobe?

Let's take a look on the other side of the spectrum for just a moment, how much money do all three tiers of government allocate to religious organisations each year?

Face it, if this were aimed for any other minority you'd be all for it but because it's for the LGBT community you have a problem.

I pity you and your oppressive outlook on this issue.

Patrick_27

#10 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:43 pm

Furthermore; as a bi-sexual man myself, I am overwhelmingly happy to see the LGBT community finally get some obvious recognition in this city that isn't a sexual health clinic.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#11 Post by Mants » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:35 am

rev wrote: Where? Name it all and the locations.

How the hell do some colours painted on a footpath translate to "expecting preferential treatment" ?

As somebody who volunteers in mental health, I find it extremely worrying that you find the concept of LGBT persons wanting to be treated as equal "hilarious". Are you aware that members of the LGBT community have the highest rates of suicide in Australia? Are you aware that an LGBT person has a 14x higher risk of attempting suicide than a straight person? Are you aware that 50% of trans people have actually attempted suicide?

Maybe if these people felt more accepted by the entire community, we could save some fucking lives.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#12 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:51 am

Couple of ideas for you Rev.

1) How about you don't walk on the proposed rainbow path, or even look at it? That way you won't feel offended.
2) How about you work to get a symbol of equality happening for your own identity, ethnic or otherwise, which has been marginalised for centuries, if indeed that's the case?

rev

#13 Post by rev » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:15 am

I love it when these issues come up so I can argue with some of you, since it seems most of you on this site are either bisexual or homosexual.
The hypocrisy and double standards shown by the gay community is simply astounding.

I wondered how long it would take before one of you came along and called me a homophobe, simply because I don't agree that the homosexual community deserves it's own special little walk way in the city any more then any other group deserves one.

It's amazing how you can't see the hypocrisy and double standards.
You want equality, but you then also want special little things like this rainbow walk which sets you apart, singles you out, and marginalizes you.

So which is it, you want to rub it in peoples faces that you are homosexual and proud(99% of people don't care), or you want equality and to live normal lives?

You can't have it both ways. And sooner or later, the politically correct mentality will be replaced with something else and you might not like what replaces it.
So instead of taking advantage of the stupidity of political correctness that's sent this country insane, you should be working for equality and not for special little waste of money projects like this.

rev

#14 Post by rev » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:20 am

Mants wrote:
rev wrote: Where? Name it all and the locations.

How the hell do some colours painted on a footpath translate to "expecting preferential treatment" ?

As somebody who volunteers in mental health, I find it extremely worrying that you find the concept of LGBT persons wanting to be treated as equal "hilarious". Are you aware that members of the LGBT community have the highest rates of suicide in Australia? Are you aware that an LGBT person has a 14x higher risk of attempting suicide than a straight person? Are you aware that 50% of trans people have actually attempted suicide?

Maybe if these people felt more accepted by the entire community, we could save some fucking lives.
So we are going to save some lives by painting rainbows on walkways and creating areas for homosexuals to feel "normal" in are we? That is hilarious Mants.

I don't find it hilarious that they want to be treated normal and as equals. I find that quite understandable actually. Which is why I don't see the need for special little rainbow walks around the place.
The majority of society does not care if someone is gay or lesbian or bisexual anymore. Society has moved beyond that.
Of course there are people who are vehemently against it. Just like there are people who are racists, you will never change these people and convince them otherwise. Rainbow walks aren't going to do that either.

So if the majority of society doesn't care about others sexual preferences.
If the majority therefore are accepting and treating homosexual people as normal and as regular people and as equals.
Then what's the big fuss about creating rainbow walks for gays to feel normal or whatever? Besides the council trying to seem like they are progressive while distracting you from their fuck ups.

rev

#15 Post by rev » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:39 am

Nathan wrote:
rev wrote:

An obvious one would be the paifang and lions that mark the two ends of Moonta St, representing the Chinese community. Why do THEY get something?

There's a Japanese Garden representing the Japanese community and our sister city relationship with Himeji. Why do THEY get something?

There's various artworks around the city representing aboriginal culture, "Lie of the Land" in the western parklands as one example. Why do THEY get something?

There's a sculpture for Afghan cameleers in Whoitmore Square. Why do THEY get something?

We can take it further

There's playgrounds in the city for children. Why do THEY get something?

There are memorials for soldiers in the city. Why do THEY get something?

There's statues of sports starts in the city for those into sports. Why do THEY get something?

There's tram lines that are only useful for those that take public transport. Why do THEY get something?

There's some public toilets that have rooms just for parents with young children. Why do THEY get something?

We could go on and on. That's how society works. Not everything in the city is there to represent you or to fill your needs. All of us share the space with others, and many of those may belong to groups that deserve some kind of recognition to demonstrate that we consider them welcome members of our society. It's not about giving special preferential treatment, it's about saying here's something that represents your group and we're proud to have it as part of our community.

I never said your opinion was bullshit, I said your argument was bullshit. Why do THEY get something is what pre-schoolers use when their sibling gets something and they don't.
You're response shows what sort of a person you are. And it's not any good kind. It's a shame in this case that there are rules, but really, when you disrespect our service people many of whom have made the ultimate sacrifice serving their country, well, what more can be said about such a person.

We all know Chinatown. We all know the cultural contributions that Chinatowns make, and that Chinese immigrants make. So, what are the cultural contributions homosexuality has made to our society? Besides making parts of the parklands late at night unsafe. And don't go listing any gay celebrities or famous people or authors or whatevers, because this isn't about them, but you, the individuals who nobody cares if you are gay straight or bi or secretly wish aliens from another galaxy came and beamed you up to their ship and had their way with you.

Same goes with the other ethnic cultural stuff you listed.

You are comparing childrens play grounds and public toilets to a rainbow walkway? Really ?

And statues of sports stars who have contributed to our sporting culture?

And tram lines?

And you even went there..with the Aboriginal culture stuff... Does that one even need explaining? How can anyone even compare that? Let alone war memorials. Amazing.

When I asked you to list things, I knew you had nothing.
But wow..

The problem here isn't who gets something and who doesn't.
The problem is you are all taken in by the politically correct syndrome that's gripped this nation and ruined it, not specifically about homosexuality, but just in general.
You only have to turn the tele on and see the stupidity that is on the major networks during the day with their talk shows of wannabe famous people, or the stupidity that is the project. I bet most of these people think they are enlightened or something, but in reality they are willingly shackling their own ankles.
baa baa, run sheep, the shepherds calling.