Tv Series "Fucking Adelaide!"

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Tv Series "Fucking Adelaide!"

#16 Post by Ho Really » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:51 pm

crawf wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:38 am
None of this probably related to the show... but I'll put in my 2c.

I just arrived back from Europe and to my surprise so many people have heard of Adelaide, they just didn't know where it was located. To their defence, some didn't know where Melbourne was located and Perth may aswell be in the middle of Australia. Everyone knew Sydney.
Yes, they’ve heard of Adelaide but they have no idea what Adelaide is all about. If you mention major events such as the F1 Grand Prix you’ll get an “oh yes, I remember”. Otherwise most will only know Sydney or Melbourne, that’s the two cities that everyone mentions when you say, "I’m from Australia". If you mention the Great Barrier Reef, that red rock in the middle of Australia or our deadly snakes, spiders and sharks they all know. They’ll even mention the tough immigration and border control we have. But Adelaide will hardly get a mention. By the way many more people know Perth than Adelaide.
Flying in tonight and seeing cranes filtered throughout the city skyline and the riverbank lit up, it really gives you a sense of how much this city is changing. Walking the streets on a previous quiet week night and seeing bars and restaurants packed, is a far cry from only a couple of years ago.

Nice.
The biggest negativity I found in Europe was from fellow Aussies (not all). Even speaking to some Europeans they were advised to avoid Adelaide by people from Syd/Melb unless if you like wine, sad but true. I put on my South Aussie cap on as many times I could and boast about our bustling bar scene and other positive changes and many were surprised by it. This is why the SA Govt needs to stop focusing on boasting to locals how great SA is, and heavily focus on interstate marketing. Adelaide itself needs to stop comparing it's self to other cities, and gain some confidence and realise Adelaide already has so many qualities. I actually think when we start seeing some real changes in our skyline over the next 24 months, this is going to boast confidence and reputation. Right now we have a constant changing street landscape but the city skyline looks like a relic from the 1980s. Same with projects like the LeCornu site, which has long been an embarrassment. A major new art gallery will also help put Adelaide on the map, as would attracting a major international event or two. Adelaide Expo 2024?
Yes, many other Aussies are very negative towards Adelaide when the subject comes up in a discussion about Australia (in particular when I’m in Europe etc., but no so bad in Asia). Crawf, an Expo would be the best advertisement ever! It will be in the media for a long time before, during and after the event. No single one-off sporting event such as a Commonwealth Games will ever be the equal. Seriously! Anyhow Crawf, what you are saying that the SA Gov needs to market Adelaide directly abroad makes sense. Adelaide should be marketed with its state and not alone otherwise we will be no different than all the other Aussie cities. One last thing. Skylines don’t make a city. It’s the people. We are also the best ambassadors.
In saying this, SA marketing has improved alot in recent years compared to the previous failed promotions. However things like our legendary festival season is still unknown to the rest of Australia despite being the biggest in the country. If we are going to jam all these major events into a short period of time, then market the f*ck out of it. Adelaide is the place to be in Feb-March.

I think most Aussies who like arts and culture do know about our festivals. We may have to do a better job attracting foreigners. We need them to come directly to Adelaide not go to Sydney or Melbourne first, etc. That’s the mistake. Unfortunately overseas campaigns are very expensive. These need to be targeted to the right audience. I guess those in the department know how, when and where. Hopefully we’ll continue the good work. As for events, we should space them out a little more. They should start in spring and end in autumn.
And yeah she isn't perfect, but she's a far better city compared to five years ago and cities like London absolutely shit over Melbourne and Sydney. So let's change it to... Fucking "love" Adelaide ;)
Out of the Aussie cities only Melbourne has outvoted Adelaide as the most liveable city. However when you consider Adelaide's size, lack of wealth and water, we have done remarkably well!

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#17 Post by Ben » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:11 pm

I didn't get through the first episode where the pregnant woman was getting f****erd in Thailand and then in the backyard while their son was playing..... Was not ideal when you get the family around and say lets all watch this show together.

Was completely unnecessary. More for SBS than ABC I would think. Won't be watching anymore.

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by timtam20292 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Ben wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:11 pm
I didn't get through the first episode where the pregnant woman was getting f****erd in Thailand and then in the backyard while their son was playing..... Was not ideal when you get the family around and say lets all watch this show together.

Was completely unnecessary. More for SBS than ABC I would think. Won't be watching anymore.
Confirms what the show was all along - 💩💩💩

HiTouch
Legendary Member!

#19 Post by HiTouch » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:30 pm

Lately the ABC has been developing a bit of a potty mouth trying to be edgy and relevant to the youth of today. I watched a little bit of it but was a little bored. It's the same format as every other ABC Black Comedy. Make a statement, show a response to that statement, drop an F-bomb, space for laughter, repeat.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by claybro » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:55 pm

HiTouch wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:30 pm
Lately the ABC has been developing a bit of a potty mouth trying to be edgy and relevant to the youth of today. I watched a little bit of it but was a little bored. It's the same format as every other ABC Black Comedy. Make a statement, show a response to that statement, drop an F-bomb, space for laughter, repeat.
I've also noticed the ABC has really dropped it's standards with language lately, particularly the comedy shows. everyone swears, but sometimes the bad language is not even relevant. You don't hear anywhere near the F bombs on commercial stations. Also if its not the language, on the current affairs type shows its the constant reference to "Donald Trump", to either prove a point of shock horror, or garner a little giggle when they have run out of things to say. Its really getting boring.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#21 Post by Will » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:38 pm

Looks like the ABC are at it again.

As a new parent, I was eager to watch a new series called "The Letdown", which is meant to poke fun at the challenges and expectations on new parents today. I was totally shocked watching the first episode, to realise that the series spends more time drudging old stereotypes to make fun of Adelaide.

What is even worse, is that the South Australian Film Corporation is funding this!

Why is public money being wasted on a show making fun of Adelaide, and bringing back old stereotypes that I hadn't heard since the 90s? What even worse, is that the show has been picked up by Netflix, meaning that people across the globe will be watching.