Petrol Station Owners

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Petrol Station Owners

Post by Norman »

Does anyone else feel like we have way too many petrol stations these days? I mean, competition is great, but the market surely is saturated now.

Thankfully the new X Convenience on the corner of Miller Street and Diagonal Road was knocked back at the CAP meeting last night, thanks to a very vocal opposition by local residents.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Post by rev »

Norman wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:32 pm
Does anyone else feel like we have way too many petrol stations these days? I mean, competition is great, but the market surely is saturated now.

Thankfully the new X Convenience on the corner of Miller Street and Diagonal Road was knocked back at the CAP meeting last night, thanks to a very vocal opposition by local residents.
If they want to spend their money, or go into debt financing new service stations, that's their problem.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Post by SBD »

rev wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:57 pm
Norman wrote:

If they want to spend their money, or go into debt financing new service stations, that's their problem.
I wonder if there is something in the trading laws that makes it attractive to have a fuel business attached to convenience stores of a certain size.

I find it odd that both KFC and Macca's are proposed to be in the new service centre at Nuriootpa. I couldn't tell from the diagram if there is proposed to be any kind of "local" shop in the complex, perhaps directly attached to the fuel shop. I imagine the target market is people who's next stop will be Loxton, Renmark or Mildura, and their last stop was south or west of the Port River Expressway. They need an easy way to take home "a taste of the Barossa".
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Post by rev »

SBD wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:23 pm
rev wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:57 pm
Norman wrote:

I wonder if there is something in the trading laws that makes it attractive to have a fuel business attached to convenience stores of a certain size.

I find it odd that both KFC and Macca's are proposed to be in the new service centre at Nuriootpa. I couldn't tell from the diagram if there is proposed to be any kind of "local" shop in the complex, perhaps directly attached to the fuel shop. I imagine the target market is people who's next stop will be Loxton, Renmark or Mildura, and their last stop was south or west of the Port River Expressway. They need an easy way to take home "a taste of the Barossa".
There could be.
But think of it from a business perspective if you can. You can have a service station, with some basic things for sale like bulbs for headlights and some engine oil or coolant, some drinks and snacks. You will get a few people come in and buy those things particularly drinks and snacks.
Or..you can have a service station which is basically a mini supermarket inside and has several fast food options, throw in an automatic car wash and a manual car wash, and you now have hundreds of people if not thousands coming in every day spending their money.

Look at the basic Liberty station on Hanson road. Not very busy.
Look at the nearby OTR's in surrounding suburbs. Busy all day long. They probably get more customers at night and the early hours then most Liberty's get during the day.

Another comparison. The original OTR on David Terrace, renovated. But all it has inside besides being a mini supermarket is their own Moes hot dogs.
It's not as busy as other OTR's with Hungry Jacks, the bakery etc..

And this is what X Convenience is trying to replicate in their own way. And it's working well for them.
Coincidentally their original service station is on Torrens Road around the corner from the original OTR/BP.

As much as I dislike both groups, if X Convenience keep going they'll soon be as big as OTR is now. I don't think Agostino with their AM/PM outlets will expand too much, but they did bring Carls Jnr, be interesting to see if they go further with that.
OTR is like a billion dollar business at least. That's good for SA. Even better if we get another big one. It will be even better when they decide to diversify like the Shahins have with The Bend motorsport park. Hopefully property development in the City isn't too far off. Samaras cranes/engineering have diversified with their Kyren Group.

Better locals then multinationals or national enterprises. The consumer gets screwed one way or another eventually, but at least with local companies more of the money stays here in our economy.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Post by Eurostar »

Ampol is back, the service station at Holden Hill has new signage up