Petrol Station Owners

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

Re: Petrol Station Owners

#61 Post by how good is he » Wed May 13, 2020 11:23 am

There is a Carl Juniors being built now at West Lakes on Turner Drive [opp. side McDonalds] near where the new Sportsbar called Mosaic is being renovated.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#62 Post by rev » Thu May 14, 2020 12:36 pm

Carls isnt bad, but they need to improve the quality.
The chicken can be pretty oily and the burgers have that much sauces they fall apart in your hands. Still better then the other junk foods though.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#63 Post by Nort » Thu May 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Gonna be interesting to see the fallout for OTR with the current legal action taking place.

SBD

#64 Post by SBD » Thu May 14, 2020 2:07 pm

Nort wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 1:51 pm
Gonna be interesting to see the fallout for OTR with the current legal action taking place.
Indeed! OTR says it has a process to cover cases if they are found, and intends to defend the action. The lawyers claim to have found enough people to make it worth raising a class action.

The action is against Shahin Enterprises. What is the relationship between Shahin Enterprises, Peregrine Corporation and OTR?

The Advertiser article says this bunch of lawyers has been advertising class actions against many employers with large casual workforces. "Adero is currently seeking to raise matters against, or has lodged actions, against 14 Australian companies."

rev

#65 Post by rev » Thu May 14, 2020 4:25 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 2:07 pm
Nort wrote:
Indeed! OTR says it has a process to cover cases if they are found, and intends to defend the action. The lawyers claim to have found enough people to make it worth raising a class action.

The action is against Shahin Enterprises. What is the relationship between Shahin Enterprises, Peregrine Corporation and OTR?

The Advertiser article says this bunch of lawyers has been advertising class actions against many employers with large casual workforces. "Adero is currently seeking to raise matters against, or has lodged actions, against 14 Australian companies."
They're probably that far removed that not much will happen to them with a guilty verdict. I'd be shocked if they don't have it all setup so that they don't personally wear any legal costs from their shenanigans.
Then again Shahin enterprises bares their name so who knows.
Any corporate lawyers here?

ChillyPhilly

#66 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 pm

SBD wrote:
Nort wrote:

Peregrine Corporation/Shahin Enterprises is the same entity. It operates OTR, Smokemart & Giftbox, Vape Square, exclusively holds rights to Guzman y Gomez and Krispy Kreme in SA, owns Mallala Motorsport Park and built and operates The Bend Motorsport Park, all in-house.

They are becoming less and less 'South Australian', however; not much of their expenditure occurs in SA. Much of the company's expenditure is interstate and overseas, on store stock, operations and wages.

I hope the lawsuit enjoys nothing but success.
Last edited by ChillyPhilly on Fri May 15, 2020 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#67 Post by SBD » Fri May 15, 2020 11:09 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 pm
SBD wrote:
Nort wrote:

Peregrine Corporation/Shahin Enterprises is the same entity. It operates OTR, Smokemart & Giftbox, Vape Square, exclusively holds rights to Krispy Kreme in SA and built and operates The Bend Motorsport Park, all in-house.

They are becoming less and less 'South Australian', however; not much of their expenditure occurs in SA. Much of the company's expenditure is interstate and overseas, on store stock, operations and wages.

OTR outlets are almost all in SA, employing South Australians. I'm not sure if they have their own warehouse and distribution systems or use someone like Metcash for that. Does anyone know?

What kinds of things do you mean that they source from interstate/overseas that have SA equivalents? There is no SA oil refinery or cigarette manufacturer. I expect the fresh fruit and veg is SA-sourced, but convenience shops don't really sell much in that market.

Both The Bend and Mallala Motorsport Park are owned by Shahin/Peregrine in South Australia. The family lives in South Australia, so it's not clear how you see it as becoming less South Australian.

ChillyPhilly

#68 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 15, 2020 11:20 am

SBD wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:09 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 11:55 pm
SBD wrote:

Peregrine Corporation/Shahin Enterprises is the same entity. It operates OTR, Smokemart & Giftbox, Vape Square, exclusively holds rights to Krispy Kreme in SA and built and operates The Bend Motorsport Park, all in-house.

OTR outlets are almost all in SA, employing South Australians. I'm not sure if they have their own warehouse and distribution systems or use someone like Metcash for that. Does anyone know?

What kinds of things do you mean that they source from interstate/overseas that have SA equivalents? There is no SA oil refinery or cigarette manufacturer. I expect the fresh fruit and veg is SA-sourced, but convenience shops don't really sell much in that market.

Both The Bend and Mallala Motorsport Park are owned by Shahin/Peregrine in South Australia. The family lives in South Australia, so it's not clear how you see it as becoming less South Australian.
I do believe Metcash is their convenience supplier.

The Smokemart & Giftbox brand is nationwide, but only 25-ish stores are in SA, with the remainder interstate. WA has the largest number of stores for any state, at close to 40 off the top of my head. The Giftbox operation is soon to be headquartered in Melbourne in another blow to SA jobs. All stock comes from China.

bits
Legendary Member!

#69 Post by bits » Wed May 20, 2020 8:11 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Peregrine Corporation/Shahin Enterprises is the same entity. It operates OTR, Smokemart & Giftbox, Vape Square, exclusively holds rights to Guzman y Gomez and Krispy Kreme in SA, owns Mallala Motorsport Park and built and operates The Bend Motorsport Park, all in-house.
Peregrine Corporation Pty Ltd and Shahin Enterprises Pty Ltd appear to not be the same entity. They are different ABN's.
Shahin Enterprises does appear to own some of the earliest Smokemart and OTR stores but after the first few all stores for both Smokemart and OTR appear to have their own ABN's. All appear to have their address listed at the Kensington head office.
I assume there will be trusts, some common directors and complex share ownership of all companies involved.

ChillyPhilly

#70 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu May 21, 2020 5:51 pm

bits wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:11 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Peregrine Corporation Pty Ltd and Shahin Enterprises Pty Ltd appear to not be the same entity. They are different ABN's.
Shahin Enterprises does appear to own some of the earliest Smokemart and OTR stores but after the first few all stores for both Smokemart and OTR appear to have their own ABN's. All appear to have their address listed at the Kensington head office.
I assume there will be trusts, some common directors and complex share ownership of all companies involved.
Maybe not 'legally' the same entity, but they are 100% all part of the one umbrella.

The directors are Charlie, Yasser and Samer Shahin.

rev

#71 Post by rev » Fri May 22, 2020 11:59 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:51 pm
bits wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 8:11 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Maybe not 'legally' the same entity, but they are 100% all part of the one umbrella.

The directors are Charlie, Yasser and Samer Shahin.
We know they own it all, but like I said in an earlier post I'd be surprised if they hadn't had the entire operation setup in such a way that it has minimal impact, and so that they personally do not take a hit particularly financially.

ChillyPhilly

#72 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri May 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Personally they won't take a hit. Two whole streets' worth of multistorey mansions in Burnside are good insurance.

SBD

#73 Post by SBD » Sat May 23, 2020 2:29 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:03 pm
Personally they won't take a hit. Two whole streets' worth of multistorey mansions in Burnside are good insurance.
I've started seeing online ads for the class action. I wonder if it's a fishing expedition by a bored law firm hoping to create some business. They seem to have several similar actions going against large employers. Undoubtedly they will find a few example case studies, but whether it has the ability to be demonstrated as a wholesale disregard for worker rights will remain to be seen if they get sufficient interest.

ChillyPhilly

#74 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 am

We can only hope - it's about time justice was served for their dirty bogus traineeship underpayment tactic.

SBD

#75 Post by SBD » Mon May 25, 2020 1:13 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:07 am
We can only hope - it's about time justice was served for their dirty bogus traineeship underpayment tactic.
If there is widespread breaching of the law, then it shouldn't need a civil class action to address it, there should be criminal action from whatever authority is applicable, or the police if nobody else.

If there is "dirty bogus traineeship underpayment", but it is presently legal, then a class action won't help either, it would need legislative changes first.

This sounds to me like a bored interstate legal firm on a fishing expedition to South Australia.