[SWP] Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[SWP] Re: Lot 14 (Old RAH Site)

#826 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:33 pm

I'm sorry, but the skepticism here is just wrong. I work at the Museum currently and therefore have professional relationships across the the entire cultural sector (State Library, SAM, AGSA), I can tell you that a contemporary gallery in Adelaide has no national or international appeal when you consider that Hobart, Sydney and soon Melbourne have/will have their own contemporary galleries (Melbourne's is set to be the largest by more than double of what Hobart and Sydney have) so I struggle to see how anyone could think that another contemporary gallery that would end up cherry picking from collections that already exist interstate would more viable than the first ever Aboriginal Cultures Gallery in Australia and the world.

Furthermore, the SA Museum has in its possession the single largest Indigenous Australian artefact collection in not just Australia but the entire world (some 75,000 pieces) such a large collection in fact that even this facility won't be able to house it all and there is still talks of some of the collection remaining at the SA Museum once this gallery has opened, and that doesn't even include the AGSA's indigenous art collection that will also be a part of this gallery. As the report points out, the aim is to also borrow from collections interstate to represent the broader scope of tribes that existed around the country. Just because the government has opted to forgo calling this the 'NATIONAL Indigenous Cultures Gallery' doesn't mean that it won't in essence be the national gallery, I suspect the intention behind dropping 'national' from the title comes from two POVs: the first being that we avoid the same situation we found ourselves in when the National Art Gallery opened in Canberra and all the state galleries (excl: Melbourne) felt obliged to drop 'national' from their own titles (you know, just in case Canberra ever decide to open a national indigenous gallery, we're already prepared for that) and the second because the title of the gallery probably won't even be in English but something in native tongue (as it should be) Either way, national or not, I would honestly like to see the likes of Perth or perhaps one day Melbourne even try to create something of the same scale as what we are going to create here, because the sheer size of our collection gives us an unmatchable advantage on any other attempts.

The success of this gallery will also rely heavily on how well we market it, on how much pride we as a whole state take in it and whether we have the forthrightness to tell the rest of the world how great it is, even if for some of us it isn't everything we hoped for. Look at Federation Square in Melbourne, it's literally a concrete jungle of nothing with a continuation of the NVG, some offices and middle-tier restaurants/bars and yet everyone in Australia knows where it is and has been there, and a lot of well travelled people from around the world also know where it is. Why? Because Victorian's (or Melbournians, rather) have the arrogance to sell something as the best thing ever, even if it's merely a piece of shit. Not to say this gallery will be a white elephant, but our government (Liberal or Labor, at the time of its opening) need to market the shit out of this gallery to the world as a showcase of how proud we are of this Australia's roots coincide that with marketing all the other great, unique offerings this state has going for it.

claybro

#827 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:02 pm

Agree Patrick. Calling something national means nothing. Remember the National Wine Centre? .. no most people have probably never set foot in it. The gallery will live or die by its own reputation, such as the gallery in Tasmania. With the weight of the collection behind it, and provided petty state politics does not get in the way, this should be something of international renown and SA should be able to showcase its hidden but in some circles world famous collection of artefacts.

Nathan

#828 Post by Nathan » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:16 am

claybro wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:02 pm
and provided petty state politics does not get in the way
Have they not already got in the way? As Adelaide Contemporary, this was a project largely driven by AGSA until the Liberals decided to misrepresent it as a "Labor project" and make it an election issue.

PeFe

#829 Post by PeFe » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:01 am

Bob wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:35 am
I have had concerns for some time that the business case for the Aboriginal Gallery doesn't stack up - I am struggling to see what the Adelaide offering will put forward that is a differentiator to the WA and NT proposals, also as Aboriginals were not one nation when Europeans arrived, rather they were about 200 localised tribes who did not speak each others languages or share each others culture, the only offering in true sense for this effort is a Gallery for local SA tribes, it cant have a national element because there never was one.
I am not of Aboriginal heritage (in fact big white fella) but I feel I should say something to counter a few cultural perceptions. The coming of Europeans has given Aboriginal Australians a shared identity (whether they liked it or not) as indigenous or black Australians. They have their own flag, their languages are many, but some are "cousin" languages ie closely related, so understandable between different tribes and yes hundreds of other languages non mutually understandable. Not having a common language does not stop you being a nation.....Switzerland anybody?

And the tribes shared similar cultural traditions, things like initiation rites, dreamtime ceremonies etc. And there was trade between the tribes, as well as exchange of information/technology. Europe started out as disparate tribes (remember it is only recently that some Euro tribes have stopped fighting each other in the former Yugoslavia and Northern Ireland)

And bringing the discussion back to Lot 14, I see no contradiction in a museum that proports to showcase Aboriginal culture from all over the country.

The modern art museum idea is just not smart enough, others have done it before us (or places with a lot more money are about to...)

I have often recommended the SA Museum's (I have no connection to the museum) Aboriginal artefacts and displays to overseas tourists, especially Europeans and North Americans .They usually respond some sort of enthusiasm, "something uniquely Australian that they can see here in Adelaide." When I do the same thing with Aussies the reaction is much more restrained......if not incredulous that anybody should be interested in that sort of thing.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#830 Post by Bob » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:55 am

Ask the State Liberal party to release the detailed business plan to justify this project.

Until then the project will be seen to be driven by emotion only.

Why are they avoiding independent assessment?

Where is the methodology that supports this will attract visitors to Adelaide in its own right?

All well and good saying we have x thousand pieces to show and our pieces are better than others, but are enough people interested to go out of their way to visit Adelaide just to see this?

The State Liberal party has banged on about supporting business cases before they were elected and since, so time has come to walk the talk, show and tell to get the majority of the public on side, right now they don't have that.

Patrick_27

#831 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:19 pm

Bob wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:55 am
Ask the State Liberal party to release the detailed business plan to justify this project.

Where is the methodology that supports this will attract visitors to Adelaide in its own right?

All well and good saying we have x thousand pieces to show and our pieces are better than others, but are enough people interested to go out of their way to visit Adelaide just to see this?

The State Liberal party has banged on about supporting business cases before they were elected and since, so time has come to walk the talk, show and tell to get the majority of the public on side, right now they don't have that.
Seeing as you're deadset on making this a political issue. Ask the previous Labor government to retrospectively release the business case for then Entertainment Centre upgrade, the Convention Centre expansion, the Adelaide Oval expansion, the North Terrace tram extension etc. When has it ever been imperative for an SA government to release a business case for public scrutiny in order for the project to go ahead? I'm not a Liberal voter, by the way, but seeing as the previous Labor government poured billions of dollars into public projects without having to really justify it and shrugging off any scrutiny that they may have encountered during their big spends, I think it's fair for the Liberal government to indulge in a project that helped win them an election and that most people you talk to are in favour of. Now, if it were the riverbank arena which most people have been vocally opposed to and they're yet to face a public vote over, that's a separate issue and the business case for that has been made public and definitely doesn't stack up.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#832 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:44 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:19 pm
Bob wrote:

Seeing as you're deadset on making this a political issue. Ask the previous Labor government to retrospectively release the business case for then Entertainment Centre upgrade, the Convention Centre expansion, the Adelaide Oval expansion, the North Terrace tram extension etc. When has it ever been imperative for an SA government to release a business case for public scrutiny in order for the project to go ahead? I'm not a Liberal voter, by the way, but seeing as the previous Labor government poured billions of dollars into public projects without having to really justify it and shrugging off any scrutiny that they may have encountered during their big spends, I think it's fair for the Liberal government to indulge in a project that helped win them an election and that most people you talk to are in favour of. Now, if it were the riverbank arena which most people have been vocally opposed to and they're yet to face a public vote over, that's a separate issue and the business case for that has been made public and definitely doesn't stack up.
Lol I highly doubt this idea “helped them win” the last election.

In five or so years I’ll guess we’ll find out if this centre is a dud or not, but from my experience with consultants in government, they’re usually some of the biggest grifters you’ll find, who will deliver a report stating whatever the recipient wants it to say.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#833 Post by Bob » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:14 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:19 pm
Bob wrote:

Ease up Patrick.

Mr Marshall made it clear that Infrastructure SA would be setup to provide independent assessment for state investments in projects over a certain amount of investment, this proposal fits into that category.

I don’t want to start copying and pasting sections out o the I-SA charter, you can check that yourself in your own time.

My point was simple – the current government set the scene how they would do business going forward (back in 2018) and yes, they did setup I-SA to perform this function, therefore providing a solid business case to the public and demonstrating how this proposal will match the hype that Mr Marshal has touted since the idea’s conception, should be straightforward.

I didn’t make this process political, Mr Marshall did, I don’t have a vested interest in any political party, nor do I push the barrow or support any of them, what I do expect though is the media and public hold politicians accountable who make grandiose statements such as those he has made in regards to this effort.

Anyone can make claims about projected visitor numbers, but on what methodology?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#834 Post by how good is he » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:30 am

Maybe Bob if you can detail your alternative suggestion [ie a contemporary art gallery or whatever you think] so the forum can assess the merits of your proposal? So your thoughts on build cost, to buy "content", expected visitation numbers, your projected profit/return on investment etc. My point is whatever gets proposed/built here will attract skepticism that ANY business model will stack up... and as the forum correctly highlights there is massive competition from established places [as well as future and proposed] both nationally and Internationally and from individuals/states/countries with deeper pockets/bigger budgets/populations etc.

Algernon

#835 Post by Algernon » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:31 pm

This liberal/labor wank is the death of this place

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#836 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:28 am

There’s a paywalled advertiser article about the cooking school for this site being “on the rocks” lol

Nathan

#837 Post by Nathan » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:52 am

State government reassessing commitment to $60m Le Cordon Bleu cooking school at Lot Fourteen

Plans to move TAFE SA’s cooking school to Lot Fourteen have taken a major hit, with the state government reviewing its commitment.

A $60m world-class cooking school planned for Lot Fourteen is in jeopardy, with the state government reviewing its commitment to the project.

Touted as a major feature of Lot Fourteen on North Tce, the new culinary school was to replace the ageing Le Cordon Bleu facility at TAFE SA’s Regency campus.

Treasurer Rob Lucas has now revealed the Liberal Party election promise has stalled, with Le Cordon Bleu and TAFE SA reluctant to move.

“That is not proceeding very quickly at all at this stage,” Mr Lucas told a Budget and Estimates committee on Wednesday.

Mr Lucas said there had been “a number of issues” that stemmed from Le Cordon Bleu and TAFE SA.

“They have long-term arrangements in relation to their position (at Regency) and under what conditions they might be prepared to move to Lot Fourteen,” he said.

“And there are some significant issues in relation to TAFE SA, which we have addressed in other fora in relation to the role.”

When asked by Opposition treasury spokesman Stephen Mullighan if the government was still committed to the school, Mr Lucas said: “The government is reassessing its position at the moment in relation to that particular project, as to how that project might be delivered”.

“I am not in a position at this stage to throw any more light on that other than the fact that we are reassessing the commitment.”

Headquartered in Paris, France, Le Cordon Bleu is an institution operating culinary and hospitality schools across the world.

Just weeks before he was elected Premier in March 2018, Steven Marshall pledged $60m to establish an international school of “culinary excellence, hospitality and tourism” on the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site.

Mr Marshall at the time said it would make Adelaide a “beacon” for international hospitality students. In 2019, he committed $30m to the school, on top of another $30m pledged by the federal government.

Mr Mullighan said it was “beyond belief” the government had committed to the project “without checking” whether Le Cordon Bleu or TAFE SA was willing to relocate.

“It’s clear this is yet another broken election promise from Steven Marshall,” Mr Mullighan said.

TAFE SA chief executive David Coltman said “international border closures and declining student enrolments in some course areas” was “prompting further thinking” about the project.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#838 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:05 am

Nathan wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:52 am
State government reassessing commitment to $60m Le Cordon Bleu cooking school at Lot Fourteen

Plans to move TAFE SA’s cooking school to Lot Fourteen have taken a major hit, with the state government reviewing its commitment.

A $60m world-class cooking school planned for Lot Fourteen is in jeopardy, with the state government reviewing its commitment to the project.

Touted as a major feature of Lot Fourteen on North Tce, the new culinary school was to replace the ageing Le Cordon Bleu facility at TAFE SA’s Regency campus.

Treasurer Rob Lucas has now revealed the Liberal Party election promise has stalled, with Le Cordon Bleu and TAFE SA reluctant to move.

“That is not proceeding very quickly at all at this stage,” Mr Lucas told a Budget and Estimates committee on Wednesday.

Mr Lucas said there had been “a number of issues” that stemmed from Le Cordon Bleu and TAFE SA.

“They have long-term arrangements in relation to their position (at Regency) and under what conditions they might be prepared to move to Lot Fourteen,” he said.

“And there are some significant issues in relation to TAFE SA, which we have addressed in other fora in relation to the role.”

When asked by Opposition treasury spokesman Stephen Mullighan if the government was still committed to the school, Mr Lucas said: “The government is reassessing its position at the moment in relation to that particular project, as to how that project might be delivered”.

“I am not in a position at this stage to throw any more light on that other than the fact that we are reassessing the commitment.”

Headquartered in Paris, France, Le Cordon Bleu is an institution operating culinary and hospitality schools across the world.

Just weeks before he was elected Premier in March 2018, Steven Marshall pledged $60m to establish an international school of “culinary excellence, hospitality and tourism” on the old Royal Adelaide Hospital site.

Mr Marshall at the time said it would make Adelaide a “beacon” for international hospitality students. In 2019, he committed $30m to the school, on top of another $30m pledged by the federal government.

Mr Mullighan said it was “beyond belief” the government had committed to the project “without checking” whether Le Cordon Bleu or TAFE SA was willing to relocate.

“It’s clear this is yet another broken election promise from Steven Marshall,” Mr Mullighan said.

TAFE SA chief executive David Coltman said “international border closures and declining student enrolments in some course areas” was “prompting further thinking” about the project.
Thanks, Nathan.

If this got cancelled and it meant the proposal by C&G got up on Gawler place, I’d be very happy with that outcome.

Patrick_27

#839 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:58 pm

Will be glad to see this buried. Ideally the site at Lot 14 reserved for this development would be better used as open space or to further expand on the small tech/start up businesses with a secondary hub.

I really hope that Le Cordon Bleu and TAFE are amongst the mix of groups in negotiation for space in the commercial office component of the Central Market Arcade development, said it before and will say it again, would be world class to have them above one of the best produce Markets in our pocket of the world.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#840 Post by Spotto » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:29 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:58 pm
Will be glad to see this buried. Ideally the site at Lot 14 reserved for this development would be better used as open space or to further expand on the small tech/start up businesses with a secondary hub.

I really hope that Le Cordon Bleu and TAFE are amongst the mix of groups in negotiation for space in the commercial office component of the Central Market Arcade development, said it before and will say it again, would be world class to have them above one of the best produce Markets in our pocket of the world.
For me at least, it was always a bit odd that the whole selling point of Lot Fourteen was to be a tech innovation hub plus residential (not including the Indigenous gallery), then they announced that a hospitality centre would be one of the prospective tenants...