New City Arena

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

Re: New City Arena

#151 Post by gnrc_louis » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:31 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:37 pm
Can't wait for this new stadium : ), it will enlighten the river bank. That area of the land is degraded as fuck.
Needs to be bulldozed and redeveloped ASAP
Do you mean enliven? Enlighten us how this stadium will enlighten the river bank :lol:

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#152 Post by A-Town » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:08 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Can't wait for this new stadium : ), it will enlighten the river bank. That area of the land is degraded as fuck.
There were a bunch of greenies protesting against the proposed development there the other day - probably 30 people or so. I dare say at least 95% of them wouldn't have stepped foot on the land in the past decade. You are right, it is degraded and a new city arena would do wonders for the CBD.

Levesque
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#153 Post by Levesque » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:56 am

A-Town wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:08 pm
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
There were a bunch of greenies protesting against the proposed development there the other day - probably 30 people or so. I dare say at least 95% of them wouldn't have stepped foot on the land in the past decade. You are right, it is degraded and a new city arena would do wonders for the CBD.
I dont think many people disagree with the notion that this neglected space requires an upgrade, I think the disagreement lies more with what is to be done with the space. I support the proposal raised a few times unofficially that either a large green bridge is built somewhere between montefiore and RAH from North Terrace and this park with added cycling infrastructure, or that the entire railyard is covered over in a greenspace. I think it would be cheaper more fitting to let this area become extended park than have a massive structure atop. At least I am not adverse to keeping and upgrading the park and putting anything above the railyards as it separates North terrace from the river and Montefiore is terrible for NT connections for cyclists and pedestrians alike.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#154 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:39 am

The issue isn't the stadium, it's the priorities. Our health system is a disaster. That should be fixed first before we even entertain the notion of building another stadium.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#155 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:42 am

A-Town wrote:
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
I know right! I said that when I saw that protest. None of them would have stepped foot there in the past decade!

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#156 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:43 am

Can someone please post this article from the advertiser?

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/subscrib ... our=append

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#157 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:44 am

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:42 am
A-Town wrote:
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
I know right! I said that when I saw that protest. None of them would have stepped foot there in the past decade! Build that Stadium!

floplo
High Rise Poster!

#158 Post by floplo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:03 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:39 am
The issue isn't the stadium, it's the priorities. Our health system is a disaster. That should be fixed first before we even entertain the notion of building another stadium.
To be short, I disagree with that. Was there ever a time when the Health system was not a disaster? And every time more money is put into the system, the response is just "Not enough, we need more, more, more...." . Society always faces choices and trade-offs, and while health is important, it's not the only thing that matters and we should actually spend money on other things.

But more of a Pub discussion, then for this thread.
moderators, feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#159 Post by rev » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:34 pm

VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:44 am
VinyTapestry849 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:42 am
A-Town wrote:

I know right! I said that when I saw that protest. None of them would have stepped foot there in the past decade! Build that Stadium!
I guess you guys work in the public transport rail sector to have set foot on what is mostly part of the Adelaide train station/yard and inaccessible to the general public right?

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#160 Post by rev » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:58 pm

floplo wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:03 pm
[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:39 am
To be short, I disagree with that. Was there ever a time when the Health system was not a disaster? And every time more money is put into the system, the response is just "Not enough, we need more, more, more...." . Society always faces choices and trade-offs, and while health is important, it's not the only thing that matters and we should actually spend money on other things.

But more of a Pub discussion, then for this thread.
moderators, feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread.
When was the last time you saw paramedics protesting in such a direct manner?
When was the last time you saw dozens of ambulances ramped at all major public hospitals besides the current situation?

Perhaps it's time the wankers that sit in parliament house on North Terrace listened to the people on the front lines of our health care system?

So you're saying a stadium that nobody has asked for, that we have no need for(at least not the made up needs some people believe), should come before a better health care system? Wow

If the trade off is the health care system in its present state, for a stadium, No thanks.
Especially when there's a perfectly good proposal for across the river at a third of the cost, that would free up 2/3 of the money this wank project will cost, money that could be spent fixing our health care system, and also better equipping other public safety assets like the MFS, CFS and SAPOL. Im sure money could even be spared to fix some God damn roads finally that are like driving off road. How about all those bridges, I believe a majority in the state, that were in desperate need of repair or replacement?
There's many more important things that should get funded before an over the top unnecessary stadium.

[Shuz]

#161 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:16 am

I must be in an alternate universe, did rev just agree with me on something?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#162 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:05 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:16 am
I must be in an alternate universe, did rev just agree with me on something?
You must be dreaming!

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#163 Post by how good is he » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:18 pm

Not sure why the Libs don’t just propose to build a new stadium and fix the health system. Surely it’s possible to try to do both financially?

Algernon

#164 Post by Algernon » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:05 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:18 pm
Not sure why the Libs don’t just propose to build a new stadium and fix the health system. Surely it’s possible to try to do both financially?
It's not a question of one or the other. These are two different things entirely.

The issue facing the AEC is that stadiums and arenas typically have an EUL of 30 years (factoring in one refresh at around the 12-15 year mark). That squarely put the AEC at the end of its life and a new arena is needed. It doesn't mean the place will come tumbling down, but it certainly means the gigs are going to dry up and it will only accelerate.

Rev's line of argument would be relevant if you expect Metallica to play out of the back of an ambulance.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#165 Post by how good is he » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:00 pm

I know it’s not a question of choosing one or the other. That’s what I am saying, if the Libs just fixed both issues they then couldn’t be criticised by Labor about overlooking health.