News & Discussion: City Streetscapes

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
duke
High Rise Poster!

Flinders Street - Sidewalk Markings

#1 Post by duke » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:49 pm

I noticed the other day that there are new markings all over the sidewalk. Orange and blue mainly looks like they have marked out underground infrastructure.
Anyone know whats going to be happening there? Its down the end of Flinders street towards Vic Square on the northern side.

duke
High Rise Poster!

Re: Flinders Street - Sidewalk Markings

#2 Post by duke » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:31 pm

Update. There seem to be even more markings now. Some of these extend down onto the street also.
There was a concrete cutter going along digging trenches along the side of the road. I think they were putting in more data cables.

Not sure if this has anything to do with the pavement markings though. Hopefully its a sign of a redeveloped Flinders street. I really hate the bitumen sidewalks.
The amount of cafes opening along Flinders would also make sense for a redevelopment.

Funk Coffee and Food opened a few weeks ago. Haven't tried the food yet though. Hopefully it wont be as disappointing as MYO.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:54 pm

I think it's good Flinders Street is getting an update, the whole street is bumpy and full of potholes... plus it needs to expand into 2 lanes instead of having 1 massive lane.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by crawf » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:12 pm

I really hope Grenfell/Currie St gets a makeover soon (new pavers, street lights etc....), as that road is a disgrace

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by AtD » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:43 pm

If it were a streetscape upgrade, Will or beamer85 would have picked up on it via the ACC. It's probably just pipes or something else mundane.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

News & Discussion: City Streetscapes

#6 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:45 am

The tram extension thread got a bit off track for a while on the topic of street trees, so I thought I'd start a thread to discuss them. What sort of trees should we use in our streets? Should we use one or more species? Native or introduced? Deciduous or evergreen? What do you like?

I think that most natives look drab and are ill-suited to being street trees. Particularly gum trees as they are prone to lifting pavements and also dropping limbs. They also aren't very good shade trees and overall I think they are best left for parks where they have lots of space to grow.

My favourites are introduced deciduous trees - they look lush, provide colour and most importantly, shade in summer while allowing the sun through in winter!

Jacaranda's are my favourites for spring because of the flowers (they're everywhere up here in Brisbane!), while Ash's are my favourite for autumn because of the golden yellow and dark red colours their leaves turn as they fall. Plane trees are my least favourite, if only because they don't flower or anything, but they sure do provide a good amount of shade in summer.

Norfolk Island Pines to me are forever associated with the beach. They just go together. :) Moana, Glenelg and especially the ones that line the coast at down south at Lady Bay.

Palm trees are also great. The Canary Island Date Palm is seen in a lot of gardens around Adelaide (they're planted all down the middle of the main road in Port Pirie) and looks fantastic when mature, especially when fruiting. Another palm you see around is the Cotton Palm - they grow up tall and have a 'skirt' of dead leaves hanging around the trunk. (I think I saw one on the cleared area on the side of South Road just north of Anzac Hwy and there's a really tall one near Super Cheap Auto on South Road at Darlington.)

What about fruit trees? I know there's a street somewhere (I think it's in Norwood) that has citrus trees in the street.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Street Trees

#7 Post by Ho Really » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:52 am

Although I don't have a green thumb and know little about them, I love trees. I also would prefer non-natives for shade over ours. What sort? I don't know. Evergreen or not it doesn't matter as long as they give good shade in summer. I would love to see all stobie poles eliminated and replaced by trees.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#8 Post by Shuz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:36 pm

I love Plane Trees!
Or those Japanese blossom ones, and the Pines at Glenelg are just fab.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#9 Post by bmw boy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:04 pm

I love the one's on Hutt Street and the affect it has on the st, what kind are they?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#10 Post by Shuz » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:36 pm

bmw boy wrote:I love the one's on Hutt Street and the affect it has on the st, what kind are they?
Plane Trees. Thats why I love them so much.
Theyre on North Terrace, Cross Road and on South Road (around Bradman Drive) and look really nice.

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by bmw boy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:21 pm

momentkiller wrote:
bmw boy wrote:I love the one's on Hutt Street and the affect it has on the st, what kind are they?
Plane Trees. Thats why I love them so much.
Theyre on North Terrace, Cross Road and on South Road (around Bradman Drive) and look really nice.
Ah is that so. I wasnt sure about all these tree names everyone was tlaking about, thankyou.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by Norman » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:23 pm

I like the palms and trees along Anzac Highway.

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by Bulldozer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:20 pm

Here's some pictures for those who don't know what the trees I referred to look like:

Jacaranda in Spring:

Claret Ash in Autumn:

Golden Ash in Autumn:

Canary Island Date Palm:

Cotton Palm:

Norfolk Island Pine:

Chinese Pistachio (bonus one I've never seen):

bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

#14 Post by bmw boy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:15 am

how bout victoria avenue and surrounds... just magic!!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#15 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:41 am

^^simply stunning

love plane tree drive