News & Discussion: City Streetscapes

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Street Trees

#16 Post by rhino » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Good thread Bulldozer, and thanks for the pictures too.
I don't think you're ever gonna see Chinese Pistachio as street trees as they are amongst the slowest growing things - although they are also amongst the most spectacular! We looked at one for our garden but the wait for it to become a descent shade tree meant the kids would have grown up and left home! :)

Plane trees are all over Adelaide's streets because they are safe street trees, in as much as they don't drop limbs and their roots don't do extensive damage to roads and underground pipes. There has been a fair bit of research done into street trees since the "Greening of Adelaide" started 10 or so years ago.

One important thing to remember with deciduous trees is that the leaves are a problem. Leaves from European trees end up in our waterways, and break down very quickly, unlike eucalyptus leaves. When they break down they change the toxicity levels in the water, and so are not good for native water life (fish, frogs, etc). A few years ago there was a proposal to make the owners of deciduous trees accountable for the removal of leaves. Councils were seen to be the owners of street trees, and were also to be held responsible for the leaves, a very important point as leaves from street trees are the ones most likely to end up floating down gutters and into the stormwater system. I don't know whether any of this was legislated or not. The problem was the extra cost to councils, which may mean that they shy away from planting street trees.

I would like to see every main road in adelaide lined with large street trees. I think they look best if they're not mixed up, but if a long stretch of road is planted with a similar type of tree. It shows the trees off really nicely. Some flowering eucalypts do well as street trees too. I really like the flowering ironbarks down the Parade in Norwood.

Two roads that could really do with planting are Richmond Road and Marion Road. They are URG-LEE!
cheers,
Rhino

Bulldozer
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Bulldozer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:17 pm

rhino wrote:I don't think you're ever gonna see Chinese Pistachio as street trees as they are amongst the slowest growing things - although they are also amongst the most spectacular! We looked at one for our garden but the wait for it to become a descent shade tree meant the kids would have grown up and left home! :)
I think that patience is worth it. Compare the plane trees along North Terrace to those on Victoria Avenue.. years of difference. Street trees are there for the long haul and to look great.
Plane trees are all over Adelaide's streets because they are safe street trees, in as much as they don't drop limbs and their roots don't do extensive damage to roads and underground pipes. There has been a fair bit of research done into street trees since the "Greening of Adelaide" started 10 or so years ago.
Not that I want to sound like a knocker or someone who dislikes plane trees, but they seem to be bloody everywhere now. I fear that if they continue to be planted everywhere the streetscape is going to become very boring. I'd like to see a bit of variety in Adelaide's streetscapes - different trees providing something different to look at in every season. Nature has so many colours and so much variety to offer us, it would be a shame to stick to a monoculture.

The "Greening of Adelaide" you speak of... I thought it was older than ten years. Perhaps this is a new program though, as my Dad says that back in the 60's or 70's there was a big push to plant lots of street trees around Adelaide that really transformed the look of the place.
I would like to see every main road in adelaide lined with large street trees. I think they look best if they're not mixed up, but if a long stretch of road is planted with a similar type of tree. It shows the trees off really nicely. Some flowering eucalypts do well as street trees too. I really like the flowering ironbarks down the Parade in Norwood.

Two roads that could really do with planting are Richmond Road and Marion Road. They are URG-LEE!
Good points, not mixing them up is good when you want a large feature stand. Perhaps a city-wide theme could be developed, where say there are plane trees lining major roads and then different varieties in commercial, residential areas, etc. The western suburbs are definitely an area that could do with some nice street trees, I think they're what make the difference in the look of suburbs - compare the eastern suburbs to the western suburbs.

urban
Legendary Member!

#18 Post by urban » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:58 pm

One of our institutions (it might be Waite) has done a long term study into appropriate street trees for Adelaide. If anyone has seen or heard of this please let us know as I would love to see it's recommendations.

AFAIK none of the council's of Adelaide employ a landscape architect, which given one of their main roles is looking after streets and parks is quite unbelievable. This might explain why our public spaces are generally of poor quality. Apparently Melbourne council has 6 or 7 full time landscape architects.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by AtD » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:43 pm

Frome Road is probably my favourite road for trees. No sunlight allowed!

Dave_The_Planner
Gold-Member ;)

#20 Post by Dave_The_Planner » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:50 pm

Boring i know, but I too like Plane trees for public landscaping. Gum trees and others like them should not be used for reasons listed already.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Im worried or quite stupid. Ive never noticed this before at this time of year, but walking down North Tce to work today, Ive noticed a large proportion of leaves on all the plane trees are turning brown and are dropping already. By home time I noticed it looked like autumn, there were thousands of dead leaves on the ground. When I went for a bike ride tonight, I noticed it througout the city, Norwood, and Hyde Park
Is this a natural cycle they go through over summer or are they struggling with heat and lack of water. Ive never really took notice ever before, but its not even the middle of summer, and when I looked closely, there were some trees where a third of leaves had turned yellow. At this rate, there will be no leaves by Feb. I hope this is just a mid season clearance whereby they reproduce again before summer ends. Anyone know?

ReallyBad
High Rise Poster!

#22 Post by ReallyBad » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:56 am

Well if the trees are anything like me they probably are wilting due to the heat.
Studied Civil Engineering - graduated 1995 - now working in IT.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by ynotsfables » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Yeah i would n't worry too much it's the heat wilting the trees thats normal for this time of the year, especially when you have heat waves such as the one we are experiencing at the moment.
They just need more water sometimes, however the heat will still burn the foliage. My wallnut trees go through this every year its common for desiduos trees especially.
You'll find that the trees will still produce folliage until Autum.

pieter
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#24 Post by pieter » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:10 pm

Hi. Can anyone tell me what varieties of Palm trees are found on Military road andWest Lakes Blvd.
They have bases (trunks) a bit like pineapples when smaller. Thank you.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#25 Post by aceman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:01 pm

Welcome Pieter, They are commonly known as 'Canary Island date palms' (Phoenix canariensis)

You can have a read about them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canary_Island_Date_Palm

vik_man
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#26 Post by vik_man » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:39 pm

more palm trees please. everywhere

especially the tall cotton palms

I know they are a pretty useless tree, but my mood improves everytime I see one haha

skyliner

#27 Post by skyliner » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Dave_The_Planner wrote:Boring i know, but I too like Plane trees for public landscaping. Gum trees and others like them should not be used for reasons listed already.
Agreed! Plane trees are also so Adelaide - have forgotten what the go is in Melbourne, but Sydney and Bris just don't come to the grade of the plane trees. Big streets lined with these borders on the majestic IMO. Very good shade, non invasive, leaves are the only problem. They green up the city in summer and detract from the general dryness at that time.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by fabricator » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:58 pm

Plane tree leaves are a bigger problem than you all think. When the leaves breakdown in water they starve the creek of oxygen, hence why not fish can live in the Torrens. The problem only really exists in Australia as out bacteria aren't able to cope with huge amounts of leaves in a short space of time. Not to mention the snow of pollen and seeds at certain times of the year.

Anyway the monoculture of one tree leaves them suspect able to diseases which could wipe out large numbers in one area.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

rhino

#29 Post by rhino » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:24 pm

fabricator wrote:Plane tree leaves are a bigger problem than you all think. When the leaves breakdown in water they starve the creek of oxygen, hence why not fish can live in the Torrens. The problem only really exists in Australia as out bacteria aren't able to cope with huge amounts of leaves in a short space of time. Not to mention the snow of pollen and seeds at certain times of the year..
This problem occurs with most European deciduous trees in Australia, not just plane trees, as outlined in my post further back in the thread.
fabricator wrote: Anyway the monoculture of one tree leaves them suspect able to diseases which could wipe out large numbers in one area.
The "let's not do it because it might fail" thing doesn't wash. There are downsides to whatever you want to do - you have to weigh them up against one another and make a decision. You can plant a huge variety of trees, but you give up the fantastic en-masse look that a whole street of the same species gives. You can go with all eucalypts, but risk randomly falling limbs. You can choose natives that don't drop limbs, but risk a boring look. And on and on and on.
cheers,
Rhino

Aidan

#30 Post by Aidan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:53 pm

A few years ago there was a plan for each City street to have its own kind of tree. Plane trees would be for King William Street, while North Terrace would have spotted gums (which look like plane trees in some ways, though the foliage is quite different). I can't remember what trees were proposed for the other streets, but it did seem a very good idea.

Alas it fell through. As I recall it was because the Adelaide City Council were in a hurry to approve stage 2 of The Greening of North Terrace, to fix the damage from the disastrous stage 1 (which had consisted of cutting down trees and painting a few things green). Plane trees were quicker to agree on...
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.