[COM] Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[COM] Re: #U/C: Victoria Square Upgrade - $24m

#1306 Post by rev » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:43 pm

jk1237 wrote:
fkj wrote:I hear the connector road has just reopened. I wish they had just left it closed, people were getting used to it not being there, and with a bit of work on signalling it should've been able to work without a hitch. I feel like its still just going to be a fairly useless/unwelcoming space if it's left cut up by roads left right and centre. :2cents:
atleast one difference is that the middle roadway can easily be closed for special events and the square won't look like it has 6 lane wide bitumen road running through it. Maybe it should only be open Monday to Friday peak hours, and the road closed other times
The 'road' running through the middle of it is actually paved, not bitumen.

fkj
Gold-Member ;)

#1307 Post by fkj » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:18 pm

fishinajar wrote:
jk1237 wrote:
fkj wrote:I hear the connector road has just reopened. I wish they had just left it closed, people were getting used to it not being there, and with a bit of work on signalling it should've been able to work without a hitch. I feel like its still just going to be a fairly useless/unwelcoming space if it's left cut up by roads left right and centre. :2cents:
atleast one difference is that the middle roadway can easily be closed for special events and the square won't look like it has 6 lane wide bitumen road running through it. Maybe it should only be open Monday to Friday peak hours, and the road closed other times
Weekend closure. With some markets overflow, outdoor entertainment and/or even additional parking for markets and Vic square rec users?
I like the idea of interpeak/weekend closure, and parking could be handy, somewhat like what they used to do on Rundle Road, although this would still give it that car dominated feel that is the downfall of vic sq

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1308 Post by claybro » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:15 pm

fkj wrote:like the idea of interpeak/weekend closure, and parking could be handy, somewhat like what they used to do on Rundle Road, although this would still give it that car dominated feel that is the downfall of vic sq
I also like the idea of weekend closure of the central roadway, ..but parking????? Definately not. Why spend millions on the square to then it into a casual carpark. Its not as if there are not enough carparks already in our CBD.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1309 Post by Vee » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:55 am

The newly redeveloped Victoria Square (and surrounds) will be a prominent Fringe Festival hub for 2014.
Note the date for the free dawn Kaurna Ceremony (Feb 7 - just 7 days before the official Fringe opening). The Square/Tarntanyangga will also feature in an indigenous themed closing Spirit Festival.

The Fringe Festival shuttle bus should be busy connecting up Fringe folk travelling between The Royal Croquet Club, Garden of Unearthly Delights and all points between.
Victoria Square to come alive this fringe.
The newly redeveloped Victoria Square / Tarntanyangga will become the centre of a brand new Hub for the 2014 Adelaide Fringe. Featuring new venue, The Royal Croquet Club, there will be a further 23 venues in the streets running off the Square.

Throughout the area there will be more than 140 events in venues that include Tuxedo Cat, the Arts Theatre, Royalty Theatre, Adelaide Town Hall, La Boheme and The Promethean.
The team behind Little Miss Mexico and Little Miss Miami will run the Royal Croquet Club that will feature two performance tents, bars, croquet lawns and host the hit show A Simple Space by Adelaide’s own Gravity and Other Myths.

Popular pop-up venue, Tuxedo Cat, will re-open in a number of new locations within the hub including Raj House on Hyde St. (off Flinders St) and on the cnr. Of Pulteny St. and Wakefield St.

The Adelaide Fringe will produce two special free events in the Square. Everyone is invited to attend the Kaurna Ceremony to be held at dawn on Fri 7 February, exactly 7 days before the Fringe opens. Over the long weekend from 7 to 10 March, the Fringe Street Theatre Festival will feature street theatre performers from across Australia and around the world.

The Spirit Festival, produced by Tarntanyangga National Aboriginal Cultural Institute and celebrates Australia’s indigenous culture, will also be held at Victoria Square/ Tarndanyangga on the closing weekend of the Fringe on the 15 and16 March.
http://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/media- ... his-fringe

Waewick

#1310 Post by Waewick » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:36 am

So lets split the crowd in half to try and get relevance for the square?

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1311 Post by monotonehell » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:56 am

Waewick wrote:So lets split the crowd in half to try and get relevance for the square?
Not entirely fair, The Festivals have occupied Vic Square to some degree in past years. Add to that, the Fringe has already been spread across the City, suburbs (and State). For example the hub in Light Square last year. Take a look at a Fringe venues map, it's all over the shop.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nort

#1312 Post by Nort » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:17 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Waewick wrote:So lets split the crowd in half to try and get relevance for the square?
Not entirely fair, The Festivals have occupied Vic Square to some degree in past years. Add to that, the Fringe has already been spread across the City, suburbs (and State). For example the hub in Light Square last year. Take a look at a Fringe venues map, it's all over the shop.
Yeah, Victoria Square is a very different space to the Garden of Unearthly Delights so it's not going to replace any of it's functions, but it will make a nice hub for other activities in that area of town.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1313 Post by omada » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:18 am

oh what a lovely Fringe space it will be, surrounded on all four sides by traffic, can't wait to admire the arbour & soak up the culture in those beautiful surroundings. :applause:

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1314 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:40 pm

From the website... looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1315 Post by how good is he » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:41 am

Looking good but my only concern is there seems to be plenty of concrete/pavers/steps and the plaza for the water feature but wondering about where the trees, grass and greenery can even grow?? Hopefully there will be plenty of shade and while I understand the landscaping comes last and has to grow .... the bottom of the amphitheatre looks like the only place with soil remaining?

Matt
Legendary Member!

#1316 Post by Matt » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:11 pm

Progress shots via City of Adelaide Facebook page.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1317 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:38 pm

Decent sized eucalypt trees they're planting. At least they're not too small. I personally love eucalypt trees. Shame about the time of year they're being planted though. Would have been more ideal in the cooler months. Everything sure is being rushed around town at the moment could be a few patch up jobs down the track.

Let's see all the eucalypt tree haters come out in force again now.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#1318 Post by spiller » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:42 pm

I'll bite.

I'm sick of Eucalypts! Why the need to plant them everywhere? They aren't nice looking, are prone to dropping their branches and we have a million of them in the parklands.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#1319 Post by zippySA » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:44 pm

Totally with you Urban - very glad to see the eucalypts going in here. They'll look fantastic as they mature - more the merrier I say of the natives.

spiller - they are disappearing across Adelaide faster than they get replaced - and yes, branches dropping are an issue - but in the scale of things, more peolpe are likely to be injured walking into the trunk pissed than they will be from falling limbs.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1320 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:59 pm

Eucalypt trees look great, especially after a hot day in the setting sun, pinks, oranges etc on the pale grey trunks and limbs.

Spiller there are so many because they are our native tree suited to minimal rain and scorching hot weather.

I'm sick of seeing too many mature European species dying in our parklands and streets because they are not suited to our climate at all. Give me natives any day. The main exception seems to be plane trees. However there are only so many of them we want all over the city too.

Good to see eucalypts being planted in 'Reconciliation Plaza' too. European species would not have been appropriate at all.