[APP] 199-200 North Terrace | 85m | 20lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Mants
Legendary Member!

[APP] Re: PRO: 199-200 North Tce | ~80m | 20lvls | Office/Retail

#271 Post by Mants » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:05 am

the largest le cordon bleu campus in the world? i think people underestimate just what a huge deal this is! it will assist in pushing Adelaide higher and higher up the international culinary ladder and i'm sure we'll see an increase in the quality and quantity of restaurants.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#272 Post by Ben » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:31 am

From In Daily
Friday, 13 April 2012
Culinary school in high-rise move

THE French hospitality training institution Le Cordon Bleu is set to expand its Adelaide base in new facilities on North Terrace, near Gawler Place.

The shift to 200 North Terrace includes four floors of teaching facilities and one floor for student accommodation in the proposed 20-level office and retail tower.

Le Cordon Bleu is the world’s largest hospitality education institution, with 35 schools in 15 countries teaching 20,000 students annually.

LCB’s founder Andre Cointreau is a joint venture partner in the North Terrace development with the Maras Group and Commercial & General.

Cointreau was a driving force behind the French institution’s decision to establish a presence in Adelaide in the early 1990s at Regency Park TAFE, alongside the TAFE’s renowned Hospitality, Cookery, Food & Beverage schools established by the Dunstan Government.

“Andre has a love affair with Adelaide and has had for some time,” Derrick Casey, chief operating officer for LCB Adelaide, said.

Paris-based Cointreau will be in town at the end of this month, his trip coinciding with food and wine event Tasting Australia.

“The new building plans to have two levels of high quality office space, one level of student accommodation, four levels for LCB, nine levels of office space and six penthouse suites on top,” Casey said.

“The team is negotiating with possible tenants for the office and retail space and when that’s locked in, construction can start.”

As well as its current degree courses in culinary and hospitality management, the new school site will offer degree courses in food and wine entrepreneurship.

“We expect to have around 600 students at the facility,” Casey said.

“International students are attracted to city-based institutions so this will help us attract those students.”

Courses will still be run at LCB’s premises at Regency Park TAFE, mostly for first year students, who will then move to the new premises for second and third year teaching.

The upgrade in private facilities comes as Regency’s TAFE staff battle public sector cutbacks, with 14 staff axed last year.

It’s a bitter-sweet transition for Casey, who was one of the founding teachers and administrators at Regency in the ‘70s until his departure early last year.

He recently recalled some of the students who passed through.

“One of my first students in a course that I ran on pâtés and terrines was Maggie and Colin Beer; and it was that class that we actually taught Maggie how to make her famous Pheasant Farm Pâté.

“It was just after Colin had won the Churchill Scholarship for his pheasant breeding out at the farm and they were trying to find a way to use pheasant livers. So I showed them how to make the lovely soft pâté that they make today.”

Renowned chef Cheong Liew lectured at Regency for seven years before Casey approved a year’s leave without pay for him to help the Hilton Hotel establish its restaurant The Grange.

“They never sent him back,” Casey lamented in an oral history interview for the Dunstan Foundation.

These days Casey is happy to be out of the TAFE stream as it battles a government push to become more competitive.

“It was frustrating; they were insisting that we be able to compete with private training suppliers, but insisted on keeping the public service awards and industrial relations rules that made it impossible to compete.

“Our staff costs were 30 per cent higher than the private providers. It’s a pity, because the pressures and cutbacks have really hurt staff morale at Regency, which is probably at its lowest point.”

Casey spent 36 years in the TAFE sector before moving across to head up Le Cordon Bleu’s operations.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#273 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:43 am

“The new building plans to have two levels of high quality office space, one level of student accommodation, four levels for LCB, nine levels of office space and six penthouse suites on top,” Casey said.

“The team is negotiating with possible tenants for the office and retail space and when that’s locked in, construction can start.”
well that means we are a while off you would think.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#274 Post by Ben » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:37 pm

Why are you always so negative? it's so draining...

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#275 Post by mattblack » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Paris-based Cointreau will be in town at the end of this month, his trip coinciding with food and wine event Tasting Australia.

Courses will still be run at LCB’s premises at Regency Park TAFE, mostly for first year students, who will then move to the new premises for second and third year teaching.

Im expecting an announcement at the end of the month !!! :D

Waewick

#276 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Ben wrote:Why are you always so negative? it's so draining...
I'm not always negative.

there have been two particular developments which I have been - even then, I really like this one and hope like hell that it does get up!

however there is history with the LCB moving into the city, which has been in the pipeline for some 5 years and numerous "strategy's" so I am not getting my hopes up, but remain cautiously optimistic - I would also add that the latest version is by far the best I have seen (in terms of industry participants) and does look more promising than others.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#277 Post by Professor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:16 pm

This concept has been in the planning stage for ages and there has been plenty of stopping and restarting, which I have discussed with some of the key LCB players for the past 5 years, only as an interested observer. But I know Dereck Casey well and have done for 20 years, as a colleague and friend. If (as is reported) he is now at the helm, then it will happen.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#278 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:35 am

Anyone know what is currently going on here?

Xaragmata

#279 Post by Xaragmata » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:48 am

crawf wrote:Anyone know what is currently going on here?
"Project Tag" youth homelessness thing

http://syc.net.au/index.php?mact=CGCale ... turnid=125
Project Tag has involved students from the University of SA School of Art and Design and clients of HYPA in developing and painting a 16 metre long artwork, to be installed on scaffolding outside 200 North Terrace, to raise awareness of Youth Homelessness Matters Day.

Omicron

#280 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:33 am

Such fine memories of that gently-curved proposal! I look forward to seeing what is planned for the site.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

[APP] Re: PRO: 199-200 North Terrace | ~80m | 20lvls | Mixed Use

#281 Post by Ben » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 am

Something might be happening?
Fringe pop-up venue Tuxedo Cat needs new home

by:Katie Spain and Giuseppe Tauriello

AWARD-WINNING Fringe event host Tuxedo Cat is searching for a permanent city home after being told to move out of the building it has occupied for the past two Fringe seasons.

Local couple Cassandra Tombs and Bryan Lynagh made a name for themselves by transforming abandoned buildings where they nurture Fringe acts - including more than 500 shows this year.

Their current 199-200 North Tce location is occupied according to a Renew Adelaide agreement with Maras Group, Le Cordon Bleu and Commercial and General.

Mr Lynagh said the cost and effort involved in creating a pop-up venue meant it was time to find a permanent home.

Tuxedo Cat was previously located on John Hindmarsh Group's Synagogue Place rooftop (2007-2010) and Electra House in 2011, when it was named the Fringe's best venue.

It also was nominated for the best venue award this year.

"Tuxedo Cat is now a global brand and a massive arts hub," Ms Tombs said. "Everybody comes here from across the arts for a good time but after March, we could potentially not exist.

"It's not about giving Tuxedo Cat a cheap annual free building. It's about sponsoring and supporting a whole industry of grassroots arts culture in Australia and globally."

They have been asked to remove all building contents by March 31.

Patrick_27

#282 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Tuxedo Cat operators have announced recently that they will be vacating the site, a sign that this may be moving forward?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#283 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:22 pm

You should read prior posts :)

Patrick_27

#284 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:23 pm

Ben wrote:You should read prior posts :)
I try, but it gets so tedious at points. :(

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#285 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Ben wrote:You should read prior posts :)
I try, but it gets so tedious at points. :(
Yes but it's the one RIGHT BEFORE YOU POST! :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.