[COM] Victoria Park Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: U/R: Victoria Park

#301 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:29 am

Another reason for merging all the central councils into one.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#302 Post by UrbanSG » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:53 am

Don't even get me started on this issue. Seems to be a messy situation between different Council boundaries and DPTI. DPTI appears to have responsibility for a lot of the main road watering. Ever since the drought they've just basically given up.

Another bad example is Anzac Highway. It is bad enough most of the mediam lawn is dead but they can't even maintain the small war memorial areas FFS! The RSL went on about this a few years ago but nothing was done. DPTI just said there was a drought and they couldn't even water the small areas near the actual memorials. What a joke.

If that's the case at least plant some native grasses, would look better than the bare soil and weeds growing next to the memorials at all times of the year now. It's a disgrace. Article from years ago and nothing has changed:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5826499276

If we can't keep grass green all year round along medians then put in some native grasses and gravel, with pattern designs etc. The median strip on King William Road, opposite Adelaide Oval and some of the work completed along the West Terrace median should be replicated throughout Adelaide.

The only issue is if you are going to spend thousands of dollars on landscaping, KEEP IT MAINTAINED!!!

The parklands don't worry me as much, they're a good example of the natural wet/dry cycle we have here in our climate. Only certain areas should be kept green.

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

#303 Post by Reb-L » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 am

Yes, cut down all existing 'exotic' shade trees to plant some politically correct gums. It just shows immaturity. We should also tell Mexicans to put cactuses (OK, cactii) in the central plaza in their capital, the Greeks to rip up whatever is in Syntagma Square to make way for an olive plantation and to make sure that the 'imported' oak trees in parks and squares of northern Europe are replaced with some more indigenous straggly spruce.

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

#304 Post by Reb-L » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:12 am

That comment was actually meant for Vic Square - but it doesn't matter anyway.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#305 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:14 am

Reb-L wrote:Yes, cut down all existing 'exotic' shade trees to plant some politically correct gums. It just shows immaturity. We should also tell Mexicans to put cactuses (OK, cactii) in the central plaza in their capital, the Greeks to rip up whatever is in Syntagma Square to make way for an olive plantation and to make sure that the 'imported' oak trees in parks and squares of northern Europe are replaced with some more indigenous straggly spruce.
why would we do that?

your post makes little sense.

claybro

#306 Post by claybro » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:36 pm

UrbanSG wrote:If we can't keep grass green all year round along medians then put in some native grasses and gravel, with pattern designs etc. The median strip on King William Road, opposite Adelaide Oval and some of the work completed along the West Terrace median should be replicated throughout Adelaide.
No... the native grasses are not an option for roadsides (although councils will have us believe in this age of global warming it is essential.). They also require maintenance and water. Somewhere in the trams post I observed a fire on the median strip of Port Road where dead native grass had caught fire. The Fire Brigade had to attend, probably as a result of someone throwing a cigarette but out the window. Most areas of native grasses on roadside look every bit as ugly and unkept as the Anzac median. And yes I agree the memorials on Anzac are a discrace! Also compare that mess in the middle of King william street north of Vic Sq compared to the neat colourful rose ground cover in KWS. Sth.

claybro

#307 Post by claybro » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Anyone see the night race at Moonee Valley tonight with Blck Caviar? Oh what might have been of our Victoria Park....
Imagine if the the good folk of Essendon had the same attitude to developement as those in Rose Park.
Last edited by claybro on Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulns
Donating Member
Donating Member

#308 Post by Paulns » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:41 am

I saw the race Claybro and I couldn't agree more.... A lost opportunity for Adelaide. Hopefully one day it can be revived though.
"SA GOING ALL THE WAY".

how good is he
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: Victoria Park Redevelopment

#309 Post by how good is he » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:13 am

I have just seen major earthworks underway here for wetlands etc. Its been years and I had completely forgot about this site [the last comment to this thread was years ago]. There was a master plan designed and proposed, so does anyone know how far the ACC is going with this?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Victoria Park Redevelopment

#310 Post by SRW » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:03 pm

how good is he wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:13 am
I have just seen major earthworks underway here for wetlands etc. Its been years and I had completely forgot about this site [the last comment to this thread was years ago]. There was a master plan designed and proposed, so does anyone know how far the ACC is going with this?
https://www.sensational-adelaide.com/fo ... 18#p181318

It's taken an exceedingly long time to get this project underway.
Keep Adelaide Weird