[COM] Adelaide Zoo Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] Re: #APP: Adelaide Zoo | Redevelopment

#31 Post by Wayno » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:13 am

muzzamo wrote:You would be suprised how much zoo tourism there is...
agree - people who visit zoos are almost a separate sub-culture in themselves. Those who are knocking this zoo redevelopment should take the time to visit sometime. Bigger zoos are not necessarily better...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by Brando » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:27 pm

As i have mentioned before, i suspect many are estimating what these Panda's will do to the Zoo. The redevelopment in itself is more than appropriate and the Panda's will increase patronage ten fold. We were very lucky to be able to get them, even if it is only temporary.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:11 pm

muzzamo wrote:You would be suprised how much zoo tourism there is...
Exactly.

And besides, tourists don't necessarily have to be from interstate or overseas. People coming in from the country and even the suburbs are tourists. Many suburbanites don't come into the city all that often, but they'll come to the zoo. The zoo is a major tourist attraction, simple as that.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#34 Post by pushbutton » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:25 pm

By Adelaide tourism standards I suppose it is a major attraction, but only because we don't have any real major tourist attractions.

Sorry but I've been all over the world as a tourist and seen MAJOR tourist attractions of many kinds, and Adelaide zoo is, to say the least, pathetic as a tourist attraction.

I've nothing against having a zoo, so don't get me wrong. I'm simply trying to make the point that Adelaide should start getting serious about attracting tourists.

A theme park or two, and a dozen or so big resort style hotels on the coast would be a good enough start. Add maybe a monorail in the CBD, and perhaps some CBD and suburban interactive attractions, a really outstanding CBD theatre and some cinemas, plus CBD shops open until at least 9pm weeknights, and a couple of truly UNIQUE things that ONLY Adelaide has (not sure what but something) and Adelaide could be an absolutely fantastic place for tourists, and indeed tourism could become a major contributor to the SA economy!

We have the natural necessities of a great tourist location including great weather, great beaches, and great wildlife and national parks. All we lack is great tourism infrastructure and facilities such as those above.

Back to the zoo though. I actually believe it COULD be something of a tourist attraction, if only they were prepared to get serious and spend a bit of money on it. Making it smaller is hardly going to help. It would need to be much bigger, and they would need to add a lot of exciting and high quality interactive features to make it FUN! Also they would have to put in a decent number of high quality shops and cafes within the zoo, and excellent amenities such as toilets etc.

Add in some sort of internal transport such as a mini train or monorail to take people around the zoo, and it could be something.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#35 Post by JamesXander » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Pandas will attract Tourists. I have no doubts it will become a feature of our showcasing our state.

I do agree we do not have much to show off to Tourists.

Glenelg is pretty cool, but thats about it. Most 'attractions' are usually lame.

We need to focus on a certain area and make it ours. Be it our 'Arts' culture or sport or just making the City Friggin awesome.

But at the moment we have a shit theatre, the clipsal and a city that is the butt of all jokes across the country.

The pandas will be the biggest thing to help tourism perhaps in this states history. I think that says more about our state then the popularity of the pandas

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #UC: Adelaide Zoo | Redevelopment

#36 Post by pushbutton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:54 pm

I can't see people in England or USA looking in their local travel agent and considering places like Singapore, Gold Coast, other part of USA, England if they're from USA, various parts of europe, Dubai, Malaysia and then being suddenly awe-struck when they see a leaflet that shows a picture of 2 Pandas and thinking "stuff those other places, we're off to Adelaide. It looks awesome!"

Sorry but I just can't see it happening. THAT'S what I mean when I say we're not attracting tourists. We should be though.

frank1
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by frank1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:15 pm

pushbutton wrote:I can't see people in England or USA looking in their local travel agent and considering places like Singapore, Gold Coast, other part of USA, England if they're from USA, various parts of europe, Dubai, Malaysia and then being suddenly awe-struck when they see a leaflet that shows a picture of 2 Pandas and thinking "stuff those other places, we're off to Adelaide. It looks awesome!"

Sorry but I just can't see it happening. THAT'S what I mean when I say we're not attracting tourists. We should be though.
That is pretty silly comparing adelaide tourism with USA, England and Singapore. They are in the top ten holiday destinations of the world. I think xander is right, it is more about adelaide's image.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#38 Post by mattblack » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:09 pm

With the amount of asain students in this town these peoples family and friends will be enticed to at least visit adelaide on there holiday to OZ. These Pandas draw enormas crowds in zoos in china. It is a big deal to these people, obviously not from a pommy twat who is thinking of baking himself in more ways than one in Ibiza. They will bring in money, one only hopes the zoo will direct funds into making itself world class, or close to it.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:33 pm

I know this is off topic, but what's with people bagging the Festival theatre? (I presume that's what people mean when they say we need a 'good theatre'). The FC is brilliant for sound and experience- a damn site better than the Sydney Opera House, which is shit. there's a reason why SA had the Souther Hemisphere's first production of the full Ring Cycle.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#40 Post by Omicron » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:46 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:I know this is off topic, but what's with people bagging the Festival theatre? (I presume that's what people mean when they say we need a 'good theatre'). The FC is brilliant for sound and experience- a damn site better than the Sydney Opera House, which is shit. there's a reason why SA had the Souther Hemisphere's first production of the full Ring Cycle.
There's a very good reason why the Concert Hall at the Sydney Opera House contains perspex rings overhanging the stage, and the Festival Theatre doesn't.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by pushbutton » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:10 pm

frank1 wrote:That is pretty silly comparing adelaide tourism with USA, England and Singapore. They are in the top ten holiday destinations of the world. I think xander is right, it is more about adelaide's image.
Thank you. That is my exact point!
Adelaide COULD and SHOULD be one of the top ten tourist destinations of the world, or at least very close to it. But it's NOT because we think small when it comes to tourism.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#42 Post by Omicron » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:10 pm

pushbutton wrote:
frank1 wrote:That is pretty silly comparing adelaide tourism with USA, England and Singapore. They are in the top ten holiday destinations of the world. I think xander is right, it is more about adelaide's image.
Thank you. That is my exact point!
Adelaide COULD and SHOULD be one of the top ten tourist destinations of the world, or at least very close to it. But it's NOT because we think small when it comes to tourism.
Eh? How many cities of one million people or more exist in the world who are all trying to do the very same thing? Aiming high is certainly important, but there has to be an element of realism, too.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by pushbutton » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:43 am

True enough, but I shoould point out that according to wikipedia, Dubai had a population of just over HALF a million people in 1995, and then decided to get really serious about promoting tourism as a future source of income for the country.

In 2005 the population was 1.2 million and I'm very sure it has continued to grow substantially since then.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#44 Post by Will » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:14 pm

pushbutton wrote:True enough, but I shoould point out that according to wikipedia, Dubai had a population of just over HALF a million people in 1995, and then decided to get really serious about promoting tourism as a future source of income for the country.

In 2005 the population was 1.2 million and I'm very sure it has continued to grow substantially since then.
It would help if we too had billions of dollars to burn.... :roll:

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by JamesXander » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:12 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:I know this is off topic, but what's with people bagging the Festival theatre? (I presume that's what people mean when they say we need a 'good theatre'). The FC is brilliant for sound and experience- a damn site better than the Sydney Opera House, which is shit. there's a reason why SA had the Souther Hemisphere's first production of the full Ring Cycle.

It serves its purpose yes.

But tell me, where would you rather go. To the Adelaide Festival theatre or the Opera house to watch a play or something.

Surelly Adelaide could have come up with a unique design for a theatre instead we have that ugly monument next to the torrens.

I need to become mayor quick smart.