[COM] Rundle Street Streetscape Upgrade

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: PRO: Rundle Street Upgrade

#91 Post by crawf » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:48 pm

Jenette Gillard says:
March 19, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I am horrified that the council would continue to promote bike racks when they are such a danger. My daughter once got her arm stuck in a bike rack at Noarlunga and it took us half an hour to get her out. She cried for weeks and still trembles to her little heart when we pass them on the street. As a mother it is hearbreaking to hear your only child whimper “why does the metal thing hate me mummy?”. Now I must remove Rundell Street from our list of suitable places for our weekly walks. It is such a shame, the buildings there are moderately pretty.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#92 Post by Nort » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:57 pm

crawf wrote:
Jenette Gillard says:
March 19, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I am horrified that the council would continue to promote bike racks when they are such a danger. My daughter once got her arm stuck in a bike rack at Noarlunga and it took us half an hour to get her out. She cried for weeks and still trembles to her little heart when we pass them on the street. As a mother it is hearbreaking to hear your only child whimper “why does the metal thing hate me mummy?”. Now I must remove Rundell Street from our list of suitable places for our weekly walks. It is such a shame, the buildings there are moderately pretty.
You couldn't make that up. :lol:

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

#93 Post by Benski81 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Steven says:
March 19, 2010 at 11:45 am
How frightening, chairs that light up and speak when you pass them. if i was a tourist that would worry me all the way back to my hotel. We should try to accommodate new people into our society not scare them away. This idea is ridiculous at best.

I had to share this, it's a comment from Glamadelaide. I'd say Steven is retarded at best. :lol:

Mpol
High Rise Poster!

#94 Post by Mpol » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:54 pm

LOL I saw that person's comment and I LOLed (the Glam Adelaide rack one.) Dear lord.

Waewick

#95 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Steven must be one of the architects who did 't get the job

or mentally challenged, either way ignore that message

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#96 Post by omada » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:25 pm

I think it's time we bombarded their little website with smart assed comments/constructive criticism :)

Nathan

#97 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:15 pm

Today, there are two lots of grafitti "artists" spray-painting the wide footpaths on Rundle St (one outside Jack London & Zimmerman, the other outside Sooki). I'm all for encouraging street art, and increasing the liveliness of Rundle St - but to me this is something better suited to the laneways, not outside the new fashion boutiques. I hope this is only temporary until the footpaths are redone properly.

Nathan

#98 Post by Nathan » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:33 pm

Well, looks like the artwork lasted only a few hours. Some one forgot to mention the project to the council cleaners , who promptly removed it all in the wee hours of the morning.
http://www.independentweekly.com.au/new ... px?src=rss

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#99 Post by Wayno » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Nathan wrote:Well, looks like the artwork lasted only a few hours. Some one forgot to mention the project to the council cleaners , who promptly removed it all in the wee hours of the morning.
http://www.independentweekly.com.au/new ... px?src=rss
oh dear! left vs right hand...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hindley Street Alley
Gold-Member ;)

#100 Post by Hindley Street Alley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:54 pm

Firstly, this is ridiculous... I'm frustrated by the accidental / on purpose removal of this work. The city council did a very poor job on this.. where is the coordination?

These bright and talented artists put so much time and effort into this, and I didn't get to see it sadly, as I was planning to go today...

**edit - Just heard what I consider to be good news, the council has been in touch with the artists, is very embarassed, and has offered to pay for a re-paint. Talk about a waste of time and money, but it's the council's fault, not the artists...

arki
High Rise Poster!

#101 Post by arki » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:45 pm

I got to see the art and it looked quite good actually. I agree it is better suited to an alley but if it is going to be on a high street than Rundle St is certainly the place to put it!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#102 Post by Ben » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:52 pm

Nice surprise.
Street art is growing in Rundle Street
by: Tim Lloyd
January 23, 2012 12:00AM

Groundplay's Greg Healy and sculptor Joel Parkes in their workshop at Thebarton and, inset, their design for the new Rundle St arbour.
Main picture: Brooke Whatnall Source: The Advertiser

AN ARBOUR will create a new landmark and bring shade to Rundle St.

The designs for the 20m arbour, which will be located over the footpath at the base of the Rundle St U-Park, were released yesterday.

Adelaide Arts group Groundplay designed the structure as a sculptural work as well as to support vines that will grow up over it.

Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood said it had been developed within the framework of the Adelaide City Council's Rundle St Integrated Public Art Master Plan. He said the $35,000 structure would be installed next weekend.

Groundplay's Greg Healy said the wing-shaped arbour had horizontal armatures spanning 20m and up to 3m across the footpath.

It will be attached directly to the U-Park structure as is the adjacent Rundle Lantern, built in 2008.

"It may not become as iconic as the Mall's Balls, but it does make a statement," he said.

"Hopefully this could be the start of something that continues up and down the street."

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#103 Post by Wayno » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:48 pm

Cool! 20 metres will cover the entire run of footpath from the eastern end of the Rundle Lantern, to the carpark exit driveway.

Here's their website ==> http://groundplay.com.au/
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#104 Post by Ben » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:13 am

More good news.

From The Messenger:
$2m upgrade for Rundle St footpath

27 Jan 12 @ 07:30am by Alice Higgins

EAST End traders are optimistic $2.1 million plans to upgrade Rundle St’s northern footpath will boost business, despite seven months of disruptive construction work.

Retailers are hopeful the long-term benefits of a new concrete footpath will outweigh the trade they are likely to lose during construction.

The City Council voted to allocate $2.14m to repave the northern footpath - $640,000 more than it assigned to replacing the existing concrete pavers in its 2011/12 budget.

Work between Frome St and East Tce will begin in April.

The plans include planting 12 trees and widening parts of the 3m-wide footpath to 5m to allow for increased pedestrian flow.

Tu Yu Adelaide manager Christina Davis said construction work would disrupt trade but was confident business would pick up once the project was completed.

“Widening the footpath will provide a bit more space for people to walk in and dine outside,” Mrs Davis said.

“(Rundle St) is such a great place for people to wine and dine and shop, we get a lot of foot traffic and at times, people cannot walk though because it is such a narrow strip.”

The City Messenger last year reported traders’ calls to urgently repave the northern footpath because large gaps and uneven surfaces were risking public safety.

Cherri Bellini manager Tiphany Wheatley-Dawson said the footpath was hazardous for pedestrians.

“There is a concern during the construction period it may cause trade to drop off but we hope there would not be too much disruption and the end result will be fantastic,” she said.

Gelatissimo owner Joe Calava was looking forward to the upgrade.

“It definitely needs to be done - it is very uneven and loose,” he said.

East End Co-ordination Group spokeswoman Julie Wrobel said the upgrade would make the area more visually appealing.

“Any improvements attract people purely out of interest and I would expect an increase in business because of that,” Ms Wrobel said.

Lord Mayor Stephen Yarwood said the council, which spent $1.5m upgrading the southern footpath in 2009/10, was still working out where to source the extra $640,000 needed for the project.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

[COM] PRO: Rundle Street Upgrade

#105 Post by dsriggs » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:53 am

Shame to see the money pavement go, but if traders think things will improve, then good.