News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Listy
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#691 Post by Listy » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:09 am

Joelmark wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:01 pm
The section of Nth Tce between King William and Kintore was re-paved for the first time in 2010 as part of the boulevard masterplan. Most of this was only laid on sand and not on a concrete base and hence why the granite and other stone rectangular pavers sometimes crack. If you look at the pavement works in completed projects like Rundle Mall, Bank St, Topham Mall, Gawler Pl, etc they were all laid on a concrete base - all looking pretty good still. I imagine what they're doing on Nth Tce is a thorough repair job but ideally a concrete base should have been used from the outset.
It's been getting progressively worse for a while, but as I walked along that bit of North Tce last week as well as the bad cracking, about half the pavers I stepped on wobbled or shifted a bit under my feet. I can't remember if work vehicles or heavy building materials were being driven or stored on the footpath while the tramline was extended but it seems like the damage really became much more noticeable around about that time.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#692 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:19 pm

For years water has been pooling under many pavers, resulting in pedestrians getting soaked each time they step on loose stones.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Llessur2002

#693 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:03 pm

Listy wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:09 am
It's been getting progressively worse for a while, but as I walked along that bit of North Tce last week as well as the bad cracking, about half the pavers I stepped on wobbled or shifted a bit under my feet. I can't remember if work vehicles or heavy building materials were being driven or stored on the footpath while the tramline was extended but it seems like the damage really became much more noticeable around about that time.
ACC also fairly regularly drive elevated platform trucks on it to maintain the fairy lights on the trees there...

Listy
High Rise Poster!

#694 Post by Listy » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:19 pm
For years water has been pooling under many pavers, resulting in pedestrians getting soaked each time they step on loose stones.
In any kind of wet weather they also get quite slippery (the ones along the riverfront at Elder park are even worse). It would be better if ACC had chosen pavers that were more porous to minimise water pooling and had a rougher texture to help with grip in the wet. And if they could then avoid destroying it by driving heavy council trucks up and down it every day, a well made footpath should last decades without much maintenance.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#695 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:37 pm

From today on North Terrace:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick_27

#696 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:38 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:37 pm
From today on North Terrace:

I really hope this is done more like what's been done on the other side of Kintore Avenue/Gawler Place, make it more pedestrian friendly, where people might like to sit down for lunch and whatnot, what they've had here up until now seemed like a rushed effort to match up this up with everything else going on east along North Terrace.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#697 Post by Joelmark » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:31 pm

They're just fixing up the paving on this stretch. Across the road (between KW and Gawler Pl) there will be new trees, gardens and a new pavement after the gasworks are completed.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#698 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:21 pm

North Terrace update:

claybro

#699 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:39 pm

Is that the finished product? :shock:

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#700 Post by SRW » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:44 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:39 pm
Lol, clearly not. You can see the kerb is still higher than the concrete surface, which is merely a base for the pavement to come.
Keep Adelaide Weird

claybro

#701 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:48 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:44 pm
claybro wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:39 pm
Lol, clearly not. You can see the kerb is still higher than the concrete surface, which is merely a base for the pavement to come.
cheers...did not look that closely.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#702 Post by AndyWelsh » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 am

Progress on North Terrace:

New footpath around the side of the station and the reopened Sean’s Kitchen. They’re still working on the paving at the station entrance near here:

Patrick_27

#703 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:36 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 am

New footpath around the side of the station and the reopened Sean’s Kitchen. They’re still working on the paving at the station entrance near here:

Do Adelaide city planners know of any other types/styles of pavers to use on our city pathways? I could understand if they were using those pavers were being used on North Terrace because it ties in with what exists on the other side of KWS intersection, but having them wrap around the railway station suggests they are going to be using similar for the Festival Plaza...

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#704 Post by SRW » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:48 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:36 pm
AndyWelsh wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 am

Do Adelaide city planners know of any other types/styles of pavers to use on our city pathways? I could understand if they were using those pavers were being used on North Terrace because it ties in with what exists on the other side of KWS intersection, but having them wrap around the railway station suggests they are going to be using similar for the Festival Plaza...
I'm grateful for the consistency! The city needs a strong visual identity and the pavement contributes strongly to the sense of place. That's one of the positives for me about Melbourne's city centre (all bluestone!) and the putative reason we established a (promptly disregarded) city Design Manual. However, this Adelaide Green and Adelaide Black stone (granite from Keith and Black Hill) will not be the predominant type used for the plaza, only the interfaces with North Terrace. Station Road itself will have different stone. If you go back a few pages and look at the most recent development assessment report, they have mapped out every square inch of the plaza by material. There are 14 pavement types in total.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Algernon

#705 Post by Algernon » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:13 pm

Credit to a facebook group called Adelaide Yesterday and Today for this shot. This is from 1914. It appears that North Terrace had a huge greenbelt in those days. It's a real shame that the whole thing ended up giving way to so many lanes of traffic.

Btw yes, that's the first plane that ever flew over Adelaide :)
Attachments
104320157_3137236736397647_6731862731345945056_o.jpg