News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

Re: News & Discussion: Laneway & Streetscape Projects

#526 Post by HeapsGood » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:32 pm

"Profound blowout" sends Gawler Place upgrade back to drawing board
The Adelaide City Council will have to redesign its proposed Gawler Place redevelopment after a “profound” and “unacceptable” cost blowout on the multimillion-dollar project.

http://indai.ly/271386

The redevelopment, originally costed at $7.85 million, would have seen the highly trafficked Rundle Mall offshoot raised to a single level as a mixed use footpath for pedestrians, cars and cyclists, with new paving, large trees and arbours, seating and outdoor dining facilities between North Terrace and Grenfell Street.

Construction was due to begin in January this year and be finished well before this year’s council election. Ballots go out in October.

But the project is now “profoundly over-budget” and the council’s administration is racing to produce new designs, ready for sign-off, before the council enters caretaker period, in September.

Lord Mayor Martin Haese said council staff had discovered unexpected “complexities” in the underground infrastructure beneath Gawler Place that had pushed the expected cost “profoundly over-budget”.

He said the council would have been financially irresponsible to continue with the project at the new cost.

The newly revealed cost of the original design remains a commercial secret, as does the identity of the company or companies involved in the redevelopment.

The original upgrades planned for the northern end of Gawler Place.

Speaking to InDaily this morning, councillors described it, variously, as a figure that would “have you shaking at the knees”, as “well beyond” a normal project cost blowout and as “unacceptable”.

Haese said council staff had had “a reasonable idea of the complexity of the underground works, but what they actually discovered was considerably in excess of what they thought was there”.

“My view is that it would just be financially irresponsible to proceed.”

Asked whether ratepayers would have expected the council to be comprehensively across what was underneath Gawler Place before beginning the project, Haese told InDaily: “I of course had had the same thought”.

The original upgrades planned for the northern end of Gawler Place.

But he said he was confident council staff would be able to bring two new alternative project designs – one within the original budget and another within what would be considered a reasonable higher cost – to elected members before caretaker period.

The council is legally prohibited from making any major policy or financial decisions within the local government caretaker period.

Area councillor Natasha Malani, who has championed the Gawler Place upgrade, told InDaily she was very disappointed.

Advertisement
She argued that the council should proceed with the original design despite the cost, rather than compromise on quality.

“We should stick with the design,” she said

“It’s the highest visited street in the city.We should allocate an increased budget for it.”

Malani acknowledged that unexpected problems underground had increased the cost of the project, but questioned how original council staff estimates could have been so wrong.

“There’s a key question around how the administration (costed) the $7.85 million in the first place.

“It’s very disappointing.

“I hope that the next council … will be bold and visionary and not compromise on design and quality.”

Malani is not contesting the election.

Central ward councillor Houssam Abiad, who is contesting the election, said he would wait to see the new designs before forming a view on what the council should do, but that the council had to be prudent with ratepayers’ money.

“The whole Mall (redevelopment costed) $30 million,” he said.

“We’re talking about a laneway here.”

He stressed that he “100 per cent” supported upgrading Gawler Place.

Area councillor Anne Moran said a $1 million or $2 million blowout in the cost of the project would have been acceptable, but that the new cost of the redevelopment was beyond the pale.

Council CEO Mark Goldstone told InDaily that “the construction is on hold while alternate proposals are worked through to ensure that an appealing street is delivered while also providing value for money to ratepayers”.

“Council has asked that administration returns with these alternate proposals in the next few months.”

Explaining the cost blowout in a statement, a council spokesperson said that “following the early investigation works on the street, the complexities around underground services as well as managing accessibility and the construction approach have been found to be more challenging than anticipated”.

“This is not uncommon with projects of this nature and scale in the city.

“The project has also come in substantially over budget and as our job is to be responsible with rate payers’ money, we are in the process of redesigning options for the upgrade that will more closely align with the original budget.”
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#527 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:35 pm

What a f*@cking joke! This very same thing happened to the original proposal for the Rundle Mall redevelopment which saw us end up with a strip of varied grey pavers and the occasional elements of wood. The currently Gawler Place plans are great, anything less shouldn't even be bothered with.

Llessur2002

#528 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:03 am

A sensible outcome, shame about the delay.
Adelaide City Council to spend nearly $17 million to upgrade Gawler Place

AN upgrade to one of the CBD’s busiest pedestrian thoroughfares will go ahead, as Adelaide City Council pledges nearly $17 million reviving it.

At a special council meeting on Saturday, called to try to save the Gawler Place project as costs more than doubled from the original $7.85 million, the council approved a $16.96 million budget to redevelop the busy strip between North Tce and Grenfell St.

The blowout was caused by complexities around underground services in the street that forced the council to put the upgrade on hold in July and seek alternative proposals.

The weekend meeting was confidential because of contract issues but, in a statement distributed later, Lord Mayor Martin Haese said the upgrade would deliver a high-quality space with widened footpaths, new paving, greening and lighting.

“Gawler Place is used by city workers, tourists, delivery and private vehicles, taxis, people accessing car parks and accessible parking,” he said.

“So it is vital that this upgrade caters to all of these users, and supports the diverse business needs in the street.”

It will also include granite paved parking, new stormwater infrastructure, custom designed street furniture, bollards and public art.

The extra $9 million plus, which is now set aside to fund the project — set to start construction in the first three months of next year and take a year to complete — will be funded through savings from other projects and a small increase in the council’s borrowings.

Long-term champion of the project, Councillor Natasha Malani, said the rebuild would transform the street and an analysis undertaken through a business case had predicted the ratepayer spend to create over $40 million of investment.

“We are now calling on property owners on the street to make their own investment and bring the place alive,” Ms Malani said.

The upgrade of Gawler Place was part of the 2011 Rundle Mall masterplan.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... bc42019422

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#529 Post by Mpol03 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:22 am

Great news!

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#530 Post by SRW » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:36 am

I hope one day we see Gawler Place receive the shared-zone treatment for its whole length (to Wakefield Street). I think a tree-lined pedestrian priority north-south avenue would become our greatest laneway.
Keep Adelaide Weird

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#531 Post by AndyWelsh » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Does anyone know what is happening on Gresham Street? The laneway is closed to traffic at the Hindley Street end and it looks like some sort of utilities/pavement work is happening at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#532 Post by Kasey771 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm

SRW wrote:I hope one day we see Gawler Place receive the shared-zone treatment for its whole length (to Wakefield Street). I think a tree-lined pedestrian priority north-south avenue would become our greatest laneway.
I like this idea. But if Mark Hamilton becomes Lord Mayor it’ll end up a 4 lane through roadImage
:(

Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#533 Post by Joelmark » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 am

Re: Andy Welsh's post on Gresham Street, this is from the City of Adelaide's 2017-18 Integrated Business Plan, page 42:

"Design and construction for the upgrade of Gresham Street between Hindley Street and North
Terrace. The project will consider design and delivery in 2017-18 including pavement upgrades,
kerb removal (where feasible), new greening (including street trees and planter boxes), lighting
and street furniture. Partnership funding from State Government (Renewal SA) will be sought."

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#534 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:06 am

Joelmark wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:27 am
Re: Andy Welsh's post on Gresham Street, this is from the City of Adelaide's 2017-18 Integrated Business Plan, page 42:

"Design and construction for the upgrade of Gresham Street between Hindley Street and North
Terrace. The project will consider design and delivery in 2017-18 including pavement upgrades,
kerb removal (where feasible), new greening (including street trees and planter boxes), lighting
and street furniture. Partnership funding from State Government (Renewal SA) will be sought."
Thanks Joelmark!

ml69
Legendary Member!

#535 Post by ml69 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:28 pm

Love the fact that ACC and the State Govt are taking our CBD laneways seriously and investing into them. Well done!

ml69
Legendary Member!

#536 Post by ml69 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:45 pm

Love the fact that ACC and the State Govt are taking our CBD laneways seriously and investing into them. Well done!

timtam20292
Legendary Member!

#537 Post by timtam20292 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm
SRW wrote:I hope one day we see Gawler Place receive the shared-zone treatment for its whole length (to Wakefield Street). I think a tree-lined pedestrian priority north-south avenue would become our greatest laneway.
I like this idea. But if Mark Hamilton becomes Lord Mayor it’ll end up a 4 lane through roadImage

Well he definitely didn't get my vote.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#538 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:01 pm

timtam20292 wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:11 pm

Well he definitely didn't get my vote.
Good. But still there's a significant number of folks who believe that more cars and car friendly policies is better for our city :( I just hope they're outnumbered by the bloc of futurist thinkers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Llessur2002

#539 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:05 am

Gawler Place upgrade construction work officially starts today apparently. Should be completed by December 2019.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#540 Post by Ben » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:14 am

Wow a year to conclude a 250m pathway upgrade... that sounds reasonable.