News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3361 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:21 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:19 pm
I noticed many shops seemed closed in Rundle Mall around 630pm tonight despite it being Friday late night shopping e.g. Apple Store closed, Reject Shop, Koko Black, most shops in Regent Arcade and Adelaide Arcade, plus several of the smaller shops nearer Pulteney St.

Is this the new normal post-Covid or are more shops just having flexible hours pending demand and weather etc?
I think just until things return to proper normal. Apple Store has 6pm listed as the current Friday closing time, with an asterisk for "special store hours" (that said, they're the only store in the mall that looks to still be taking things seriously).

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3362 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:17 pm

GU Film House in Hindley St has closed down (again)

Patrick_27

#3363 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:41 pm

Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:17 pm
For good or temp? I'm not surprised, they've only been doing weekend trading since the start of the year pre-COVID, also the film festival is now back at PalaceNova.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#3364 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:57 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:41 pm
Brucetiki wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:17 pm
For good or temp? I'm not surprised, they've only been doing weekend trading since the start of the year pre-COVID, also the film festival is now back at PalaceNova.
For good.

I wonder it Edge Church will be seeking to move back in

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3365 Post by SRW » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:48 pm

The whole GU complex needs to be razed. The forecourt has always been a waste of space.

It's a shame though, because I think the city could support two cinemas. Like others, I'd still like to see the top levels of the Myer Centre converted for a mainstream cinema as was Brisbane's in 2000. Other entertainment facilities like minigolf (e.g. Holey Moley) or escape rooms could also be located in the centre to enhance the draw. (Further off-topic, but I'd also like to see Palace Nova relocate to Rundle St U-Park when that building's useful life is reached in ~10yrs so that the old iMAX site can become residential).

In other news, Dotti has closed in the mall, leaving a beautiful heritage building vacant. Hopefully it'll be restored in the search for a new tenant. Also, the lovely Art Deco Rundle Central/Coles Building is having its street awning's removed/replaced.
Keep Adelaide Weird

The Scooter Guy

#3366 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 pm

It's now 3 Years since J/R Duty Free (which previously traded by the likes of Downtown Duty Free and City International Duty Free) closed its doors.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Llessur2002

#3367 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:48 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 pm
It's now 3 Years since J/R Duty Free (which previously traded by the likes of Downtown Duty Free and City International Duty Free) closed its doors.
Isn't this more suited to the Adelaide's Greatest Losses thread?

The Scooter Guy

#3368 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:02 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:48 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:21 pm
Isn't this more suited to the Adelaide's Greatest Losses thread?
I think so.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Patrick_27

#3369 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:18 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:48 pm
The whole GU complex needs to be razed. The forecourt has always been a waste of space.

It's a shame though, because I think the city could support two cinemas. Like others, I'd still like to see the top levels of the Myer Centre converted for a mainstream cinema as was Brisbane's in 2000. Other entertainment facilities like minigolf (e.g. Holey Moley) or escape rooms could also be located in the centre to enhance the draw. (Further off-topic, but I'd also like to see Palace Nova relocate to Rundle St U-Park when that building's useful life is reached in ~10yrs so that the old iMAX site can become residential).

In other news, Dotti has closed in the mall, leaving a beautiful heritage building vacant. Hopefully it'll be restored in the search for a new tenant. Also, the lovely Art Deco Rundle Central/Coles Building is having its street awning's removed/replaced.
Rather than raze the Hindley Street cinemas, I'd rather see Wallis go in there, I know they have the Piccadilly but I think considering they understand the South Australian market better than GU ever will, I think they could bring new life to the cinemas and improve the offering of retail in the forecourt significantly. Whereas I do't think GU really gave a shit about Hindley Street, they just wanted to see whether they could take a portion of the pie from PalaceNova's growing success on the east end. And I wonder if their closure of GU Film House and Arndale is part of a bigger plan to extract themselves from the SA market, in which case, what would happen to Glenelg and Marion... Hoyts could easily take over Marion. And I suppose either PalaceNova or Wallis could acquire the leasehold of Glenelg...

As for PalaceNova in the east end, whilst I would like to see something done with that U-Park, they are already part of a plan (albeit at-least ten years off) to occupy the second level of a retail/entertainment/mixed use precinct planned for their current site with apartments above. If this weren't the case, I'd love to see them build an art deco style building similar to that at Prospect along Rundle Street somewhere where some of the more recent shittier builds have gone, bring some character back to the strip.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#3370 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:00 pm

Retail update from today along Rundle Street and Rundle Mall:

New signage for Foodland

Aussie Disposals - closed for a while now

Chatime have moved out

Endota Spa opening in Spring

Canopy replacement?

Units near H&M

Pigs are now clean after their recent varnish/paint attack

Quite a few shops vacant now (Bardot, Nine West, Colette, Hairhouse Warehouse) but still busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#3371 Post by SRW » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:06 pm

The Endota Spa is already open on level 1 of ACP. It's been there since they closed on Rundle Street (which has remained vacant but for a current popup box office for the Adelaide Film Festival). That hoarding is just the vacancy where L'Occitane closed.
Keep Adelaide Weird

Llessur2002

#3372 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:28 pm

Best & Less have somewhat predictably closed their Rundle Place store - not sure if that's due to lack of foot traffic now Harris Scarfe closed, or whether it signifies renovation plans are afoot for the space?

Nathan

#3373 Post by Nathan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:28 pm

ROMEO's FOODLAND IGA
________________________THE MIGHTY SOUTH AUSSIES
FOODLAND

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#3374 Post by AndyWelsh » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:Best & Less have somewhat predictably closed their Rundle Place store - not sure if that's due to lack of foot traffic now Harris Scarfe closed, or whether it signifies renovation plans are afoot for the space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patrick_27

#3375 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:56 pm

If the Rundle Square management had any sense, they'd be trying to poach Boost Juice and Silk Laser from the burnt out building across the road, would very easily fill the remaining two tenancies.