[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#1 Post by Algernon » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:03 pm

These are going up in all the mainland capitals.

Just looks like some big advertising screen. Might add some much needed flashiness to the west end of the mall - the Myer Centre killed that.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#2 Post by Howie » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:09 am

I like the idea... there's quite a few very bland walls which could do with a neon/advertising makeover. Notably there's one next to bagot house on north terrace which would look nice on our northern skyline.

I'm totally in favour of some ever changing billboards... along north terrace, king william, victoria square, and rundle mall. Notably victoria square.. it's really dark there at night, and doesn't quite feel alive.

greenchilli
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[COM]

#3 Post by greenchilli » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:49 pm

we should install "webcams to the world" screens everywhere that connect us with other cities, eg: London;New York; Los Angeles; Tokyo; Singapore; Sydney; Brisbane; Melbourne; Perth; Auckland; Rome; Paris; Berlin; Toronto; Montreal; Vancouver; Cape Town; Calcutta; Shanghai. etc.

I know thats a lot, but it would generate a lot of public interest to be able to communicate with the rest of the planet whilst enjoying your day out.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#4 Post by Al » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:21 pm

I saw an article on this screen in the Advertiser a few days ago and they were saying that there will be a cam of some kind and that people will be able to see themselves on the screen. I don't know if this will be a webcam but if it's linked to the other cities, it would seem logical to assume so. I'm really hoping it's a nice webcam like Melbourne's Federation Sq cam - that thing's bloody awesome.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM] APP: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $50m

#5 Post by Howie » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:49 pm

Rundle Mall Kiosks
Project Contact: John Evins
Contact Phone: (08) 8203 7268
Contact Email: [email protected]
Project Overview

The Rundle Mall Kiosks are presently being refurbished. Kiosk No 3 just East of the intersection of Gawler Place has been converted into a shelter. Kiosk No 1 West of James Place is being converted into the new visitor centre, and the current Visitor Centre adjacent to King William Street will be transformed into a a restaurant.
Nice! A restaurant in the middle of the mall.. i like the idea.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#6 Post by AtD » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:13 pm

I'd like to see electronic billboards on the two car parks at the mall end of Rundle Street. Anything to make them more interesting.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#7 Post by AtD » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:15 pm

The "shelter" (if it's the kiosk I'm thinking of) is not very functional. I haven't actually seen anyone using it yet. Then again, I haven't been to the mall in a while.

Nice idea though. Dining in the mall is something I'd like to see more of, along with greenery.

(and less of the Myer Centre)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#8 Post by Will » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:50 am

I completely support this idea. I think that it is a first step in making the CBD more illuminated. Currently it is overtly dim, which does not create a vibrant impression.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#9 Post by Will » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:55 am

I find the idea of restaurants in Rundle Mall an excellent idea, that will hopefully stimulate pedestrian traffic in the Mall after dark.

And I don't understand why everyone hates the Myer Centre. Whilst it's colour scheme is a bit different, it is much better than the old Myer building which was tired and dated. On the inside the Myer department store is very impressive and appears world class, unlike the old building...

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#10 Post by AtD » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:11 pm

Will wrote:And I don't understand why everyone hates the Myer Centre. Whilst it's colour scheme is a bit different, it is much better than the old Myer building which was tired and dated. On the inside the Myer department store is very impressive and appears world class, unlike the old building...
Where do I begin? On the outside, its colour scheme is rather tacky. Its built over the mall and casts that section into shadow for most of the day, keeping the building itself in shadow and making it look even more dark and imposing. The owners of the building aren't keeping up in the maintenance, the North Tce facades are crumbling, and half the florescent lights on the Rundle Mall side don't work.

On the inside, the colour scheme is even worse. It can't be 'world class' if half the retail section of it is empty! The food court is claustrophobic and the food is terrible.

2c

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#11 Post by Will » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:39 pm

AtD wrote:
Will wrote:And I don't understand why everyone hates the Myer Centre. Whilst it's colour scheme is a bit different, it is much better than the old Myer building which was tired and dated. On the inside the Myer department store is very impressive and appears world class, unlike the old building...
Where do I begin? On the outside, its colour scheme is rather tacky. Its built over the mall and casts that section into shadow for most of the day, keeping the building itself in shadow and making it look even more dark and imposing. The owners of the building aren't keeping up in the maintenance, the North Tce facades are crumbling, and half the florescent lights on the Rundle Mall side don't work.

On the inside, the colour scheme is even worse. It can't be 'world class' if half the retail section of it is empty! The food court is claustrophobic and the food is terrible.

2c
In big cities buildings cast shadows so I really don't see how that is a problem. After all we do want Adelaide to be a big city?

I like imposing buildings, they look 'big city'.

Although the retail arcade is half empty, the actual Myer department store is very elegant, modern and reminds me of the retail complexes in Melbourne, which is a good thing.

Plus the old Myer building was old and tired, and had to go. I have been looking at images of the old centre on the state library website and whilst its Victorian era facade had merit, the addtions made to it during the 1950's ruined the building.

And the quality of the food should not influence a persons judgement of architecture.

Al
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#12 Post by Al » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:59 pm

AtD wrote:I'd like to see electronic billboards on the two car parks at the mall end of Rundle Street. Anything to make them more interesting.
Yup.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

[COM]

#13 Post by Joely » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:38 pm

Wow. Looks great. Just what the mall was waiting for.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Eatery to revitalise Rundle Mall

#14 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:04 pm

Eatery to revitalise the Mall
ANNA VLACH
August 25, 2006 12:15am

CONSTRUCTION began yesterday on a seven-day alfresco restaurant funded by Adelaide City Council "to breathe new life into the city centre".

The eatery - at the western end of Rundle Mall and incorporating the old visitor information centre - should open by November. It will be run by restaurateur Jason Bernardi and his business partner Eddie Taylor, who own Glenelg's Oyster Bar.
Approached by Adelaide City Council, which has put $350,000 into the project, Mr Bernardi said he and Mr Taylor also had invested a "substantial amount".

The yet-to-be-named restaurant will be similar to one in Brisbane, which had "transformed" that city's mall, he said.

Seating 60 diners and employing up to 30 staff, it will trade between 7am and 10pm, depending on the outcome of a liquor licence application.

"If you walk down King William St or Rundle Mall late on Saturday evening there is nothing to encourage you to go down that way," Mr Bernardi said yesterday. "The restaurant will be in a well-lit area between the Hilton and the Hyatt, and the tram will eventually run down that way, so it all adds up to a nice jigsaw of activity."

Mr Bernardi said the restaurant should be especially popular with tourists.

"It will have an accent on quality with table service," he said. "We are still refining the menu but it will be entree-style food that respects people's time in the city - funky snacks."

A council spokesman said yesterday a second outdoor restaurant was also likely to go ahead, as had been planned when the council approved extended-hours outdoor dining in Rundle Mall in 2003.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

[COM]

#15 Post by Will » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:17 pm

This is a great idea, one which will further enhance the number of people visiting the CBD.