[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Prince George
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: SOS for 'dying' Rundle Mall

#211 Post by Prince George » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:40 am

It occurred to me that I could think of one covered street that emphatically does work. The best example of one anywhere, I give you Milan's astonishingly beautiful Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. They knew a thing or two about building amazing places in 1860's Italy.

ImageImage
ImageImage

I particularly like this picture, but it's too big to fit into the post. The Galleria is often called il salotto di Milano, "Milan's living room", because it is such a favourite destination. It helps, of course, that apart from being attractive in its own right, it has destinations at each end: it connects the Piazza di Duomo, with Milan's Duomo cathedral, to La Scala, Milan's Opera and ballet theatre. Notice also that it features a lot of dining to complement the shopping.

I think that it's worth looking at the buildings that actually form the streetscape, because they are most of the reason that this works so well.

First, they are beautiful in their own right. Can we say the same thing about Rundle Mall? There are definitely many buildings that are wonderful, but there are also several that are not, and most of the street level is nothing special. Why would we want to go to the trouble of covering them? On the other hand, would adding a glassed roof and removing most of the awnings bring more attention to buildings that are worth preserving? Would we chase out tatty stores to raise the streetscape to this level - thinning out the bauble-and-trinket or mobile-phone stores? What about the largely blank walls of the Myer centre or the old David Jones?

The fact that they are all a uniform height makes it simpler to fit the ceiling. Supposing we were to cover the mall, where would we put the roof? 1 storey up? 2 storeys up? 3, 4, or 5? At some point we would have to make a choice between putting it up high enough to cover everything, and so leaving gaps, or low enough to be complete, and so abandoning the upper levels that are protruding beyond it. That's essentially what I feel happens with the awnings that we have everywhere. (My instinct would be to make the height as tall as possible, to make the space ambiguous - not clearly inside or outside - even if that leaves gaps for the weather to sneak in)

I should also say, Adelaide already has a direct inheritor of this tradition - Adelaide Arcade.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#212 Post by Wayno » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:15 am

Yes PG, the Milan Galleria is truly an inspirational mall of grand proportions. It was a guaranteed success from day 1 due to it being deliberately positioned to provide an elegant short cut and place to dwell (initially for the gentry) walking between the Cathedral Square (Piazza Duomo) and the Opera House (Teatro alla Scala). There are also massive entry arches on both these ends. Posizione Posizione Posizione, as they say in the real estate game.

I personally like how they incorporated street level appeal for the common man. For example there is the "Worn Genitals of Taurus the Bull" upon which people place their right heel and spin (clockwise?) to bring themselves good luck. See pikkie below. Kind of puts to rest any concern about Rundle Mall's 'embarrassing pigs' - lol.
Picture 178 (Small).jpg
The Worn Genitals of the Bull
Picture 178 (Small).jpg (50.29 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
Unfortunately for such a majestic building, the US fast food influence has crept in. My panoramic picture below shows Mac Donalds to the far right *sigh*. Such a disappointment.
Picture 175 (Medium).jpg
Picture 175 (Medium).jpg (44.43 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
Note: If you ever visit, don't even consider buying anything in the Galleria, even Mac Donalds costs much more than normal. The rental prices must be huge!

Meanwhile, over in Belgium...
And then there's Europe's first ever covered mall. The Galeries Saint-Hubert in Brussels, built 1848, who's architect (a french man named Jean-Pierre Cluysenaar) was largely influenced by the Italian Renaissance. Soon after, the Milan Galleria was built following many of the design principles used in Brussels! A circular process of influence :-)
Picture 034 (Small).jpg
Galeries Saint-Hubert
Picture 034 (Small).jpg (61.09 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
Although a work of art, the Galeries Saint-Hubert is at best a sideline destination, as it provides limited reason for people to dwell, is not ideally positioned for locals, and does not lead to/from anywhere of everyday importance. Oh, but there's no Mac Donalds! such a relief.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#213 Post by skyliner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Would James place lend itself to such an idea - not sure of uniformity of bldg heights however.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

ChrisRT
Gold-Member ;)

#214 Post by ChrisRT » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:42 pm

You would be mad to want to cover Rundle Mall. We have great weather most of the time and some of the beautiful trees that provide shade would die. If you want to spend money on Rundle Mall then I would start by looking at Gawler place. The sidwalks are too narrow and the road space is unnecessary apart for deliveries. It could be significantly improved fairly quickly and cheaply. There also needs to be more to attract children and families. Give them a reason to get out of the burbs and enjoy the city.

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#215 Post by stumpjumper » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Do you suppose that Pisans get embarrassed...
Perhaps we should approach Pisa about being a sister city. They're Pisans; we're Pissants. It's a great marketing angle!

rubegoldbergdevice
Gold-Member ;)

#216 Post by rubegoldbergdevice » Sun May 02, 2010 2:15 am

Perhaps we should approach Pisa about being a sister city. They're Pisans; we're Pissants. It's a great marketing angle!
LOL as they say on the world wide internetz.

Wasn't there an idea a whiles back that was for covering the Mall a bit and using that cover as a walking thoroughfare so people could communicate with the first floor (largely vacant) real estate? That's an interesting thing.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#217 Post by peas_and_corn » Mon May 03, 2010 9:36 pm

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:
LOL as they say on the world wide internetz.

Wasn't there an idea a whiles back that was for covering the Mall a bit and using that cover as a walking thoroughfare so people could communicate with the first floor (largely vacant) real estate? That's an interesting thing.
It sounds interesting, though it depends on how it's done. If it's designed so that it works as both a walkway and to provide shelter to those walking underneath, and also look really nice, plus have access to the upper level be easy but not intrusive... then yeah, sounds good. But I'm not sure if all that will be realised.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#218 Post by pushbutton » Tue May 04, 2010 10:27 pm

Given that the "upper level" consists of many different buildings, all built seperately at different times and by different architects, and none of them being designed to have access to Rundle Mall from level 1, I doubt that this could be done.

The walkway on level one would have to keep going up and down to service different buildings, and the result would be extremely messy and probably not especially safe.

Best to stick to the single level mall and just improve on the appearance and attractiveness of it generally.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#219 Post by Mants » Wed May 05, 2010 4:55 am

i think if the right shops went into the first level, and had sufficient signage and ability to access them, it wouldn't be a problem.
Globalise is a good example of this... popular shop with escalator and lift access. everybody knows it's there.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#220 Post by AtD » Wed May 05, 2010 7:23 am

Are there really that many buildings with empty first floors? I know Adelaide Arcade has a lot of vacant shops and Regent Arcade does on the Grenfell St end. I can't think of any others.

Straze
High Rise Poster!

#221 Post by Straze » Wed May 05, 2010 11:33 am

Last week i attended a Woolworths Group Assessment for the Rundle Mall store, what we were told was that the store is changing a fair bit. There are going to be small stores at the front with Woolworths at the back, the liquor, internet cafe and snack bar are gone, there will be express checkouts and self serve checkouts but no more regular checkouts, the travelator is moving, the basement is getting refurbished with shelves being moved around and the ground floor is getting refurbished with more room at towards the back, they said it will have a similar appearance to the Woolworths store at Harbour Town West Beach. With express checkouts and self serve checkouts i see that they are going for the same approach to the Coles store in Chinatown, the snack bar, liquor and internet cafe wasn't doing much business from the looks of it anyway so its a smart move in my opinion to get rid of it from the Rundle Mall store. The Woolworths Rundle Mall store i was told is to open by around June at the earliest.
Do yourself a favour and come to South Australia.

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#222 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Straze wrote: the snack bar, liquor and internet cafe wasn't doing much business from the looks of it anyway so its a smart move in my opinion to get rid of it from the Rundle Mall store. The Woolworths Rundle Mall store i was told is to open by around June at the earliest.

So basically they knock anyone's attempt to get a liquor license and now aren't even going to sell alcohol. Thanks Woolies.

Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

#223 Post by Stubbo » Wed May 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Good news on them opening up as early as June. It is so handy having a full sized supermarket in the mall. Love the self service checkouts as well.

I have always found Woollies Liquor overpriced. Dan Murphies is the way to go...

I don't think that two story trading would work unless you have very strong stores to pull people updwards. Look at the upper floors of the Myer Centre and how dead it can be there. City Cross is lucky with Amart, Aus Post and Harvey all strong people pullers, EB seem to trade ok but the other tennancy inbetween EB and Harvey's seems to last a few months after each new business moves in then closes down.

As other people have mentioned, building more apartments near or above the mall would assist with foot traffic, then flow into more eateries open at night which would then draw more people in....

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#224 Post by monotonehell » Wed May 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Stubbo wrote:I have always found Woollies Liquor overpriced. Dan Murphies is the way to go...
...which is owned by Woolworths. " :lol:
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#225 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed May 05, 2010 4:45 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Stubbo wrote:I have always found Woollies Liquor overpriced. Dan Murphies is the way to go...
...which is owned by Woolworths. " :lol:
Liquorland is owned by Coles-Myer.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/