[COM] Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Adelaide Oval Redevelopment

#4216 Post by rhino » Fri May 01, 2015 12:49 pm

I recall hearing that Adelaide United would be able to fill Hindmarsh Stadium for this match, but at Adelaide Oval the place will be half empty, and those who are there will not be as close to the pitch as they would be at Hindmarsh.
cheers,
Rhino

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#4217 Post by spiller » Fri May 01, 2015 4:02 pm

the controversy would surely only be about AUFC not consider AO as a home ground, the other stuff (scheduling two sporting events on the same weekend) is rubbish. The MCG does it 25 weeks of the year.

spiller
High Rise Poster!

#4218 Post by spiller » Fri May 01, 2015 4:02 pm

the controversy would surely only be about AUFC not consider AO as a home ground, the other stuff (scheduling two sporting events on the same weekend) is rubbish. The MCG does it 25 weeks of the year. AO's turf can handle a few extra sets of sprigs.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#4219 Post by Brucetiki » Fri May 01, 2015 6:23 pm

spiller wrote:the controversy would surely only be about AUFC not consider AO as a home ground, the other stuff (scheduling two sporting events on the same weekend) is rubbish. The MCG does it 25 weeks of the year.
That's what I think too.

This weekend is a perfect example of Adelaide Oval being able to be multi-purpose (as it was the other weeks with Nitro Circus/AFL). This will happen semi-regularly.

The opposition to the game being at AO was pretty much lead by Adelaide United, and rightly so. There was absolutely no reason to shift the game from Coopers Stadium.

ChillyPhilly

#4220 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 06, 2015 3:37 am

The last four of you were correct.

Watch this space over the coming week.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#4221 Post by Jaymz » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:29 pm

I have been an Adelaide Crow member only since the new Adelaide Oval opened last year, and I was very impressed with the results....... super proud
of this stadium.

But I guess it really hit home with me last Saturday night as to just how amazing this development has been for our city. When walking across the
new bridge lit up, plus stadium and even a Popeye boat in Crows colours, I couldn't help but over hear 2 Dockers supporters (obviously here especially from Perth)
over awed as to how magnificent that setting was. They were almost speechless and ran out of superlatives as to how to describe the setting. No amount
of money can buy praise like that. Truly magnificent :D

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4222 Post by SRW » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:18 pm

I also encountered a few people from Perth last weekend and all of them had overwhelmingly positive things to say about Adelaide. We should be proud :)
Keep Adelaide Weird

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#4223 Post by Honey of a City » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:21 pm

Jaymz wrote:I have been an Adelaide Crow member only since the new Adelaide Oval opened last year, and I was very impressed with the results....... super proud
of this stadium.

But I guess it really hit home with me last Saturday night as to just how amazing this development has been for our city. When walking across the
new bridge lit up, plus stadium and even a Popeye boat in Crows colours, I couldn't help but over hear 2 Dockers supporters (obviously here especially from Perth)
over awed as to how magnificent that setting was. They were almost speechless and ran out of superlatives as to how to describe the setting. No amount
of money can buy praise like that. Truly magnificent :D
Sat next to some Carlton supporters from Melbourne last year and they used the words "wicked" and "awesome" repeatedly when chatting about the Oval. Agreed the whole Oval/Riverbank experience is unique.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#4224 Post by Vee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:33 am

I am also an Adelaide Oval member and attend most AFL matches throughout the season. The AO redevelopment is magnificent. I go out of my way to welcome supporters of the Opposition teams I encounter in the city, on the footbridge, plaza etc to our city. And they have all been impressed with the AO and surrounds.

It is a real drawcard for locals and visitors and its location, within walking distance of the city centre, is part of the attraction. One West Coast supporter from Perth was here on her own, having been given the trip as a birthday present by her children. And she had already done a few side trips to the wineries, Hills, Central Market.

Kudos for the beautiful, wide Footbridge to connect the two sides of the River. It is an absolutely essential component. It was great to see the Footbridge lined with colourful flag banners during the recent Cricket World Cup. The Southern Plaza was colourful too with bunting, music, dancers and excited cricket fans from many nations.

And the Blue Hive and Festival Centre outdoor area and Regattas are great for the mix to extend the hospitality and the vibe. The recent Come Out Festival revealed the buzz around the location with large numbers of families out and about and I have never seen Popeye boats at maximum capacity with long lines waiting to catch the next boat!!

It is interesting to see the use of the adjacent Memorial Drive Tennis Courts via a huge marquee to extend the match day experience for fans. The future of the Tennis Courts - redevelopment? relocation? - is another Question for another thread.

The role of public transport, with the AO in close proximity to the railway station, tram and bus, and the vital role of the 'Footy Express' (and other major events) buses and trains is key to shifting hordes of people in and out of the city. For some, it could be the first time they have used public transport eg the trains and a catalyst to leave the car home for other trips?

A NAB Challenge match, held earlier this year at AAMI Stadium, brought home the wide gulf between the old, drab and tired (AAMI) and the new (AO) - facilities, convenience, comfort and experience!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4225 Post by Ben » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:21 pm

I am shocked and embarrassed by this article. What were they thinking? Disrespectful much.

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/ten- ... 7439127737

[Shuz]

#4226 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Adelaide gave the world Rupert Murdoch - that's shocking and embarrassing enough.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Waewick

#4227 Post by Waewick » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:08 pm

Ben wrote:I am shocked and embarrassed by this article. What were they thinking? Disrespectful much.

http://mobile.news.com.au/national/ten- ... 7439127737
Why is it disrespectful.

People need to lighten up and take a chill pill.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4228 Post by crawf » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:39 pm

What the hell did I just read?

That was so cringe worthy and highly embarrassing. Waewick it's disrespectful to the people that have travelled all the way to our city from Liverpool.... hardy a nice first impression.

I like Cold Chisel but comparing them to the legendary Beatles is just laughable.

Adelaide does it self no favours for it's reputation when its main media outlet produces that type of garbage.

Nathan

#4229 Post by Nathan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:57 am

It's called "what can we get the work experience kid to write?".

Waewick

#4230 Post by Waewick » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 am

crawf wrote:What the hell did I just read?

That was so cringe worthy and highly embarrassing. Waewick it's disrespectful to the people that have travelled all the way to our city from Liverpool.... hardy a nice first impression.

I like Cold Chisel but comparing them to the legendary Beatles is just laughable.

Adelaide does it self no favours for it's reputation when its main media outlet produces that type of garbage.
I'd suggest your offence is more of a concern than that article.