[CAN] 171-207 Gouger Street | 59m | 19lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[CAN] Re: PRO: 171-207 Gouger Street | 59m | 19lvls | Mixed Use

#76 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Wrong.

The residents live in a CBD. Living in a CBD means tall buildings, dense city blocks, lots of street activity, more people, etc. Even if it doesnt exist as yet in a particular area, they live there knowing full well the risks that it inevitably will happen. If they don't like that, quiet frankly they can go f--- off and live in the suburbs.

I, and others on this forum are bloody sick and tired to death of arguing this point over and over again.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#77 Post by monotonehell » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:30 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Wrong.

The residents live in a CBD. Living in a CBD means tall buildings, dense city blocks, lots of street activity, more people, etc. Even if it doesnt exist as yet in a particular area, they live there knowing full well the risks that it inevitably will happen. If they don't like that, quiet frankly they can go f--- off and live in the suburbs.

I, and others on this forum are bloody sick and tired to death of arguing this point over and over again.
Even living in the suburbs does not protect a land owner from nearby developments that they do not like.

If we are going to discuss this further we will move all posts to their own thread in the pub.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by Maximus » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:28 am

Requesting a point of clarification from those well-versed in such things... This is a 15-storey height limit area, but the site is over 1500sqm and therefore is exempt from height restrictions. Is that the situation here?
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by Ben » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:46 am

The DAC are expected to approve this subject to conditions at Thursdays meeting.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#80 Post by Will » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:54 am

Maximus wrote:Requesting a point of clarification from those well-versed in such things... This is a 15-storey height limit area, but the site is over 1500sqm and therefore is exempt from height restrictions. Is that the situation here?
Yes.

rhino

#81 Post by rhino » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 am

mgb wrote: If you look across a vast part of the CBD it's still filled with old rusting tin sheds. Unless development is allowed to occur in a profitable way then this will never change.
And the good people of Adelaide will still wonder why large corporations will not move their head offices here .....
cheers,
Rhino

Waewick

#82 Post by Waewick » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:29 am

rhino wrote:
mgb wrote: If you look across a vast part of the CBD it's still filled with old rusting tin sheds. Unless development is allowed to occur in a profitable way then this will never change.
And the good people of Adelaide will still wonder why large corporations will not move their head offices here .....
apart from the fact the bulk of the population live in the eastern states (namely Sydney and Melbourne) what possible advantage is there in having their head office located here.

without a significant increase in industry that requires head offices, that benefit by being here, we are always going to be regional outpost.

I'm not being negative either, just realistic in my understandings of Adelaide.

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#83 Post by kenget » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:47 pm

Waewick wrote: apart from the fact the bulk of the population live in the eastern states (namely Sydney and Melbourne) what possible advantage is there in having their head office located here.
2 things come to mind... office floor space is cheaper and wages are lower compared to the eastern states.

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

#84 Post by Reb-L » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:59 pm

Waewick wrote:
rhino wrote:
apart from the fact the bulk of the population live in the eastern states (namely Sydney and Melbourne) what possible advantage is there in having their head office located here.

without a significant increase in industry that requires head offices, that benefit by being here, we are always going to be regional outpost.

I'm not being negative either, just realistic in my understandings of Adelaide.
I'm not going to provide a list of worldclass corporations based in cities of similar or smaller size than Adelaide because it would be straying too far from the thread. But I agree that having a larger pool of potential employees to scoop from is a positive factor if you are thinking of establishing or increasing operations somewhere. That would be one reason - although not the only one - for promoting developments like this one. The belief that Adelaide is inevitably headed for a slow decline just because we are not as big as some other cities is something I would call negative thinking that holds us back.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#85 Post by rev » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:51 pm

Amen, let them hear it.
We have all these anti-development groups which oppose development for whatever self centered self interest they have, and we hear from this tiny minority constantly.
The more people that speak up for more development and progress the better. We need a counter balance to the buffoons that exist in this society, no matter how small a minority they are.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#86 Post by bm7500 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:15 am

rev wrote:

Amen, let them hear it.
We have all these anti-development groups which oppose development for whatever self centered self interest they have, and we hear from this tiny minority constantly.
The more people that speak up for more development and progress the better. We need a counter balance to the buffoons that exist in this society, no matter how small a minority they are.
Maybe we should start a Pro Development group and make sure the media know who we are, so we get some space in the media to counter the NIMBY's that already get too much say in this City.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

wilkiebarkid
Donating Member
Donating Member

#87 Post by wilkiebarkid » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:25 pm

wilkiebarkid wrote:Re: #U/C: Lot 8 Coglin Place - 43m, 13 lvls

by wilkiebarkid » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:11 pm

Some pics from a different perspective today.

No.3 is my little grumble at how close new townhouses are to an expanding CBD. Wait for all the problems in 10 years or so when someone wants to build a decent sized highrise next to these tinny (that's meant to be tinny!) townhouses!
This is what I said almost 5 years ago re: townhouse type developments being allowed within a growing city frame. Quite prophetic really!

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by Reb-L » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 pm

bm7500 wrote:
Maybe we should start a Pro Development group and make sure the media know who we are, so we get some space in the media to counter the NIMBY's that already get too much say in this City.
Yes, I'd support that. What I'd also like to see would be for some information where politicians, local or state, could have their views and record on development and other issues (5 - 10 would be enough) published when election time comes. I've had candidates knocking on my door saying that they are all for development and then - once elected - changed their tune completely and voted against almost anything above townhouse level because of pressure from some well organized NIMBY groups. Plowing through the election material is mostly a waste of time; all the candidates are trying to be everything to everybody so none of them really wants to take a stand.

Well, I'm not gonna expand anymore on this as it probably belongs somewhere else. But maybe there should be some warning for people building or buying houses in the city (not only in Claxton St) that there is a possibility that there could be a future development nearby that might impact on their lives in some way? Those things do happen there and if you don't accept that you'll probably be happier living in an outer suburb.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Amended plans are with the DAC and are now up for public consultation.

http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/download.cfm?D ... 0F2030D46A

skyliner

#90 Post by skyliner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Ben wrote:Amended plans are with the DAC and are now up for public consultation.

http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/download.cfm?D ... 0F2030D46A
Are these amended plans the same as we saw for the second set of renders?(My computer would not download from what Ben put up from Feb. 19th.).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.