[COM] Rundle Lantern

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #COM: Rundle Lantern

#976 Post by skyliner » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:10 pm

rubegoldbergdevice wrote:
Had a thought about that bottom row of panels that don't have any lights on them: there could be a trailing display along there showing things like artist credits.
Awesome idea.
Excellent!

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

danimations
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#977 Post by danimations » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:27 pm

Thought I'd revive this thread and post a 'currently playing' Rundle Lantern clip.

For those interested, I also wrote a blog post pointing out the lack of attribution for artists who make content for the lantern... caused a stir at the ACC and prompted some speedy and satifying action. Have a read if you're interested...

http://blog.danimations.com.au/2010/08/ ... nimations/
danimations: reach the world with video

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#978 Post by Prince George » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:38 am

Glad to hear that got resolved in a reasonable manner, Dan. It was ridiculuous, and a little emabarrasing, that they expected people to do all the work of creating the content, receive no payment, and not even get identified as the creator.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#979 Post by monotonehell » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:11 am

Is anyone going to fix the faulty pixels. More than 4 have appeared now. Sometimes an entire bank is off colour.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

danimations
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#980 Post by danimations » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:40 pm

Thanks for your support Prince George... yes embarrassing is an aproppriate word there. The Advertiser ran a story on this today I believe... haven't picked up the paper yet though.

Nathan

#981 Post by Nathan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:19 pm

Dan, given the low resolution nature of the lantern, how readable are the credits before each piece of work?

danimations
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#982 Post by danimations » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:22 pm

That I am yet to see. I suggested a LED ticker as an alternative, placed on the mall-side of the intersection. It could take an RSS feed from the Lantern's software, thereby playing the filename of the currently displaying work. A much better solution IMO, but at greater effort and expense to the council.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#983 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:44 pm

danimations wrote:That I am yet to see. I suggested a LED ticker as an alternative, placed on the mall-side of the intersection. It could take an RSS feed from the Lantern's software, thereby playing the filename of the currently displaying work. A much better solution IMO, but at greater effort and expense to the council.
credit could even be given by a rundle lantern website - with a simple sign placed below the lantern to alert everyone to it's existence.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

danimations
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#984 Post by danimations » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:59 pm

That would do the job too.. and introduce more ppl to the idea of making work for it. I like your thinking.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#985 Post by Wayno » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Rundle Lantern wins national award
ADELAIDE'S Fusion Graphics has won a national award for its striking Rundle Lantern lighting display.

Fusion won the Pinnacle Award for Digital Media at last Wednesday's presentation of the Australian Graphic Design Association (AGDA) awards, held in Brisbane.

Of the 241 finalists who vied for awards across 18 categories, Fusion was also recognised with the Judge's Choice prize for the Rundle Lantern, which is a lighting display on the corner of Pulteney St and Rundle St in the city.

It also received Digital Media Distinctions for its work on Adelaide's Air Warfare Destroyer website and for the iPhone application it developed as part of the SA "Heaps Good" campaign.

The graphic design firm was a finalist in three other categories. Fusion director John Chaplin said the business was proud of its work on the Rundle Lantern display and the national recognition it had achieved.

"South Australia now has an innovative national icon to be proud of," he said. "Our vision was to add beauty to people's lives without affecting the environment, (while) working with current structures and putting Adelaide on the global map."

The Rundle Lantern is made up of 748 square panels, each of which are illuminated by two massive LEDs (light-emitting diodes). At dusk, the lights display myriad moving images.

For a full list of AGDA winners, visit its website, http://awards.agda.com.au/results
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ginger-geordie
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#986 Post by ginger-geordie » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:06 pm

why isn't there loads of 'lanterns' around the rundle lantern? just think how great it would look if all of the car park was covered by screens, and maybe screens on the rundle mall side as well. they should get some more screens soon, IMO

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#987 Post by monotonehell » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:30 pm

ginger-geordie wrote:why isn't there loads of 'lanterns' around the rundle lantern? just think how great it would look if all of the car park was covered by screens, and maybe screens on the rundle mall side as well. they should get some more screens soon, IMO
They wanted to do that, but there are ventilation issues with the car park. It requires a certain amount of open space to keep the CO levels safe.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan

#988 Post by Nathan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:14 pm

One thing I was thinking the other day was about the amount of sun that hits the north facing wall of the carpark. Perhaps if they covered the rest of the northern wall with more panels, but instead of being light up panels - they're solar panels which tilt upwards. (and rather than have a clear line where the lantern panels end, and solar panels begin - have a ragged edge where some lines of lantern panels are 1-3 panels longer). I'm not sure if tilting panels the opposite direction would make any difference to ventilation - but thought it would make good use of the sunlight, and cover up a lot more ugly prison bars.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#989 Post by Will » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:17 pm

Why has this been switched off?

I had dinner in the city last night and the lantern was off. I recall a similar occurrence 2-3 weeks ago when I also ventured into town at night.

AdelaideAlive
High Rise Poster!

#990 Post by AdelaideAlive » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:19 pm

it was also off fri night when i went past, and also to mention the fountain at glenelg was off today as well, so much for enhancing adelaide with iconic features :roll: