[VIS] 301-315 King William Street | 150m | 40lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Just build it
High Rise Poster!

[VIS] Re: VIS| New Tallest | 301 - 315 king William Street | 45 Lv

#31 Post by Just build it » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:20 pm

I really like this vision. I see it as just the sort of style a 'new Adelaide' could embrace to modernize the skyline while keeping some real individuality.

If only vision releases in Adelaide were a once a week thing instead of bi-annually. 8)

kinnoda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#32 Post by kinnoda » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:39 pm

Could be well placed elsewhere, but not there. The facade and design of the courts, in contrast to this 'vision' is poor and is not cohesive with the desired character of the locality.

I am disappointed that so many of my fellow Adelaidians would intellectually whore themselves out to such a design in said location.
planningandurbandesignaus.tumblr.com

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#33 Post by Nathan » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:45 pm

I don't know, whilst it seems that way from the choice of angle in the render, I don't think it's too out of character when you factor in the Commonwealth Law Courts on the other side of the road, and SA Water to an extent. Certainly no worse at fitting in then the horrid extension attached to the Magistrates Court.

kinnoda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#34 Post by kinnoda » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:33 pm

There is no doctrine of planning precedent.

My professional opinion (being restricted as I do not have any skills in heritage matters) is that the design is not consistent.
planningandurbandesignaus.tumblr.com

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by jk1237 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:38 pm

kinnoda wrote:Could be well placed elsewhere, but not there. The facade and design of the courts, in contrast to this 'vision' is poor and is not cohesive with the desired character of the locality.
thats debatable. I argue that modern, bold architecture complements heritage buildings better than standard stuff. To me, this makes makes the heritage buildings in Victoria Square stand out more proudly and brings them to life

Nathan

#36 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:36 am

jk1237 wrote:thats debatable. I argue that modern, bold architecture complements heritage buildings better than standard stuff. To me, this makes makes the heritage buildings in Victoria Square stand out more proudly and brings them to life
Agreed. That was exactly the case with the Magistrates Court extension, where they obviously tried to complement it, but it comes across as tacked on. Unless a complimentary building is done very very well (which is difficult which heritage architecture), much better to define the original building by contrast.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#37 Post by mutt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:31 am

I quite like the design.
there's too many brown and grey uninspiring cereal boxes in adelaide's skyline and dominated by that hexagonal monstrosity that is the westpac formerly state bank.

the reality however is these designs cost a lot more to build and adelaide hasnt up to this point matured into the type of economy that can support such salubrious commercial developments. hopefully this will change.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#38 Post by Goya's Line » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:36 am

That site seemed perfect for a remand centre relocation but this is so nice. I think the N-W terraced section helps blend the scale of the building with the courts and frames the square really well. Do it JPE!

rhino

#39 Post by rhino » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:59 am

Gets a tick from me.

I think the curves will complement the Commonwealth Law Courts just down the street, and I have been waiting for a couple of years for someone to come up with a design with copper-cloured glass to contrast with the greens and blues and blacks we've got already.

While I do agree that it is so different to the supreme Courts building that it will actually complement it, I think it would be better suited behind the Family Courts (which also has a curved wall, and is orange), a little closer to the Commonwealth Law Courts. However, I acknowledge that it has to get built where land is available.

:applause:
cheers,
Rhino

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by Reb-L » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:47 pm

kinnoda wrote:Could be well placed elsewhere, but not there. The facade and design of the courts, in contrast to this 'vision' is poor and is not cohesive with the desired character of the locality.

I am disappointed that so many of my fellow Adelaidians would intellectually whore themselves out to such a design in said location.
Q: Who decides what's 'desired character'? If it's like Westpac I'd rather take the risk of whoring a little.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#41 Post by Goya's Line » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Not tech-savvy but hopefully that Urban Construct proposal just west of the square is attached... another curved complement to this one.
Attachments
urban construct proposal.jpg
urban construct proposal.jpg (19.44 KiB) Viewed 3656 times

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Ben » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:47 pm

Unfortunately or fortunately urban construct are pretty much dead.

skyliner

#43 Post by skyliner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:04 pm

Agreed - too much contrast with surrounding bldg heights and local architectural styles. I am not against such designs per se BTW. I wonder at the street capacity in handling office numbers in such a structure as well as vehicular provisions.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#44 Post by rev » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Goya's Line wrote:Not tech-savvy but hopefully that Urban Construct proposal just west of the square is attached... another curved complement to this one.
I don't think that was ever a proposal. It was just featured on their site. I don't think it was even announced as a vision, except by someone here who picked up on it.

Omicron

#45 Post by Omicron » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Well, it's certainly distinctive. Love the lower section that's closest to KWS with the clear glass/ochre glass contrast, and to that end I'm surprised how much I like that ochre colour, and I love the obvious diagonal frame, but overall I'm a bit overwhelmed. Less width, please, and less of that odd-looking beige protrusion towards Gouger St.