[COM] Torrens Footbridge | $40m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Memorial Drive Upgrade + Torrens Footbridge

#61 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:22 pm

JamesXander wrote:Downer should quit Federal Government now and become the new leader of the state liberals. He would do a hell of a lot more then being the opposition whatever he is now.

He would become legend if he took over.
That idea was bandied about for a bit, wasn't it? I seem to recall discussion of the matter a few months back.

rhino

#62 Post by rhino » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:23 pm

Will wrote:Alexander Downer is spot on. Politics has become so monochrome in the last few decades. Politicians have become bean counters who are only interested in the economy. As it currently stands Adelaide is more of a Tuscany type of place to visit. Somewhere where the attraction is the lifestyle, not a particular site as such. I think that we could capture a wider market if we retained our Tuscan style tourism but enriched it with actual attractions that people can visit. For one I would like the National Motor Museum moved to the CBD. It is a great museum, however it is in the middle of nowhere. Furthermore, why not build a museum of modern art, or the national indigenous art centre; or why not even take advantage of the fact that we make Australia's best beer and establish the National Beer Centre here in Adelaide. However unfortunately due to the fact that our politicians have become soul-less automatrons, only interested in their triple AAA credit rating and the next election, such visionary projects will never come to fruition. The only hope we have is if some Adelaide-born billionaire were to make some kind of donation.
A few things - personally I wouldn't like to see the National Motor Museum moved to the CBD - it's history is at Birdwood, where it not only has excellent patronage, but does great things for the northern part of the Adelaide Hills too by bringing tourists into the area. Many of them come up the freeway and through the Onkaparinga Valley, which is a great bonus for the towns there as well.

We also have the National Rail Museum here, at Port Adelaide. I say let that remain at the Port, too, but promote it where public transport goes to Port Adelaide - at the railway Station and at bus stops where the Port Road routes depart the city. Sorry if this post sounds a bit defeatist, it's not meant to.

While I agree we have the best beer here, would a National Beer Centre work? We produce the best and most varied wines here in SA, within close proximity to Adelaide. In fact, the varieties produced here make Adelaide one of the best places in the world for a winemaker to do his thing. Despite all that, the Wine Centre was a failure, as far as being a wine centre is concerned. It gets by now by being a conference centre (and not a bad one at that).

We actually have a very good art gallery stuck right in the middle of our Cultural Precinct along North Terrace - I go there occasionally and it is never crowded, making me wonder if a new one is warranted. We also have an Aboriginal Cultural Centre - Tandanya - on Grenfell Street. Anyone ever been there? Not me.

So - what are we saying here - it's not a case of "Build it and they will come", because they already exist and they're not coming. Are we saying that they will come to see the building, rather than what's in the building? Perhaps we need to put more effort into promoting what we have.

Having said that, an Iconic building would be good, so long as something that already exists and successfully brings tourism dollars to the area it's in doesn't have to go under to make way for it. We're going to get a beauty on Currie Street - what can we do within that? They're still looking for tenants as far as I know.
cheers,
Rhino

Omicron

#63 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:41 pm

rhino wrote:
Will wrote:Alexander Downer is spot on. Politics has become so monochrome in the last few decades. Politicians have become bean counters who are only interested in the economy. As it currently stands Adelaide is more of a Tuscany type of place to visit. Somewhere where the attraction is the lifestyle, not a particular site as such. I think that we could capture a wider market if we retained our Tuscan style tourism but enriched it with actual attractions that people can visit. For one I would like the National Motor Museum moved to the CBD. It is a great museum, however it is in the middle of nowhere. Furthermore, why not build a museum of modern art, or the national indigenous art centre; or why not even take advantage of the fact that we make Australia's best beer and establish the National Beer Centre here in Adelaide. However unfortunately due to the fact that our politicians have become soul-less automatrons, only interested in their triple AAA credit rating and the next election, such visionary projects will never come to fruition. The only hope we have is if some Adelaide-born billionaire were to make some kind of donation.
A few things - personally I wouldn't like to see the National Motor Museum moved to the CBD - it's history is at Birdwood, where it not only has excellent patronage, but does great things for the northern part of the Adelaide Hills too by bringing tourists into the area. Many of them come up the freeway and through the Onkaparinga Valley, which is a great bonus for the towns there as well.

We also have the National Rail Museum here, at Port Adelaide. I say let that remain at the Port, too, but promote it where public transport goes to Port Adelaide - at the railway Station and at bus stops where the Port Road routes depart the city. Sorry if this post sounds a bit defeatist, it's not meant to.

While I agree we have the best beer here, would a National Beer Centre work? We produce the best and most varied wines here in SA, within close proximity to Adelaide. In fact, the varieties produced here make Adelaide one of the best places in the world for a winemaker to do his thing. Despite all that, the Wine Centre was a failure, as far as being a wine centre is concerned. It gets by now by being a conference centre (and not a bad one at that).

We actually have a very good art gallery stuck right in the middle of our Cultural Precinct along North Terrace - I go there occasionally and it is never crowded, making me wonder if a new one is warranted. We also have an Aboriginal Cultural Centre - Tandanya - on Grenfell Street. Anyone ever been there? Not me.

So - what are we saying here - it's not a case of "Build it and they will come", because they already exist and they're not coming. Are we saying that they will come to see the building, rather than what's in the building? Perhaps we need to put more effort into promoting what we have.

Having said that, an Iconic building would be good, so long as something that already exists and successfully brings tourism dollars to the area it's in doesn't have to go under to make way for it. We're going to get a beauty on Currie Street - what can we do within that? They're still looking for tenants as far as I know.
In addition, I'm not sure if our geographical location is conducive to such a dramatic rise in tourism as a result of the construciton of an iconic building. European cities are so close to each other, and half-hour international airfares are disgracefully cheap, which would have spurred on the development of Bilbao far more quickly than if Adelaide were to have built a similar building at the same time. It would be far more difficult to make a business case based on a direct rise in tourist numbers, that's for sure.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Rhino has raised some good points. I think we should be looking at building a interactive science centre or aquarium.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by Will » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:32 pm

crawf wrote:Rhino has raised some good points. I think we should be looking at building a interactive science centre or aquarium.

Why? other cities in Australia have them.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#66 Post by Will » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:44 pm

rhino wrote:

Regarding the National Motor Museum. Birdwood is very far away from the CBD, but it is further compromised by the fact that the road to Birdwood is steep and too full or curves. I am confident that if the museum were to be re-located to an appropriate part of The CBD, it's patronage would increase. And now that you have mentioned it, the National Railway Museum should also be located in the CBD. It makes sense to locate our best attractions close to each other. It makes sense in other parts of the world. The closest example would be Sydney, where most of their premier attractions are located around Darling Harbour. As such the Darling Harbour precinct is always full of tourists, creating that buzz that we so desperately need.

Furthermore the National Wine Centre is a failure due to its location and due to the fact that when it opened entry was too expensive and the negativity that it endured during its construction and opening would have ruined any operation. I think that if we located the National Beer Centre in a more appropriate location of the CBD (The RAH site), it would be a success. Furthermore you could incorporate restaurants, tasting bars and even a micro-brewery at the centre. But its success would be further guaranteed by the fact that beer is our national drink, meaning that it has a far greater clientèle than the National Wine Centre.

And finally in regard to 20-22 Currie Street. I too think its a great looking building, but it will never become a tourist attraction; after all it's just an office building. It would be like me saying I'm going to go to Sydney to look at Aurora Place.

rhino

#67 Post by rhino » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:52 pm

Will wrote:
crawf wrote:Rhino has raised some good points. I think we should be looking at building a interactive science centre or aquarium.

Something that other cities don't have would make sense. How about a Motor Sport Hall of Fame? Not a Motor Museum as such, but a museum/gallery/interactive science centre/theatrette/bookstore/shop dedicated to Motor Sport in Australia, and the people who made it great? I don't think any other Australian city has one, and Adelaide is the birthplace of Grand Prix racing in the modern era in Australia, as well as home to (arguably) the greatest touring car race, on what is definately the best and most unique track in the country.
cheers,
Rhino

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#68 Post by Cruise » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:07 pm

or we could try and get the F1 GP back, not all cities have one of those!!!

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by Tyler_Durden » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:08 pm

Omicron wrote:I'm not sure if our geographical location is conducive to such a dramatic rise in tourism as a result of the construciton of an iconic building. European cities are so close to each other, and half-hour international airfares are disgracefully cheap, which would have spurred on the development of Bilbao far more quickly than if Adelaide were to have built a similar building at the same time. It would be far more difficult to make a business case based on a direct rise in tourist numbers, that's for sure.
True, but iconic attractions can and do make a huge impact on tourist numbers. They give a place an identity. I have no doubt that the Sydney Opera House alone contributes an enormous amount to tourism in Sydney. And Uluru, well it's the only thing in its vicinity and attracts lots of tourists from all over the world. Not only is it a long way from the rest of the world it's a long way from anything in Australia aswell.

If it's iconic enough it will pay itself back many many times.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by Will » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:09 pm

rhino wrote:
Will wrote:

Something that other cities don't have would make sense. How about a Motor Sport Hall of Fame? Not a Motor Museum as such, but a museum/gallery/interactive science centre/theatrette/bookstore/shop dedicated to Motor Sport in Australia, and the people who made it great? I don't think any other Australian city has one, and Adelaide is the birthplace of Grand Prix racing in the modern era in Australia, as well as home to (arguably) the greatest touring car race, on what is definately the best and most unique track in the country.
Yes that is a good idea, I am sure that if located in a strategic CBD location would help tourism in Adelaide.

However I am also not aware of there being a National beer Centre anywhere else in Australia :wink: :idea:

Omicron

#71 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:12 pm

Cruise wrote:or we could try and get the F1 GP back, not all cities have one of those!!!
On a side note, I watched the Durban A1 GP last night, and it made me realise the merits of the Adelaide street circuit - theirs was nothing more than tiny little concrete driveways going through carparks, although the nonsensical first-corner hairpin was the source of much amusement as everyone forgot that steering wheels are for turning and ploughed straight into each other.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#72 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:17 pm

Will wrote:

Not everyone is into the arts or museums, so if we built one of those or both attractions it would provide a more variety of things to do in Adelaide plus it would a great learning experience for students.

The other cities might have them, but whats the harm if we do aswell.

A National Beer Museum sounds like a not bad idea, though it would be better if it was merged in with National Wine Centre - while its a fantastic building, the location is not good. Many tourists probably don't even know it exists.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#73 Post by JamesXander » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:19 pm

If I were Premier of South Australia one of the things I would investigae would be the establishment of an Aquarium at Glenelg.

PPP agreement could be struck. A top Knotch aquarium specializing in Southern marine life such as Dolphins and seals. Also alot of information on Sharks and Whales. It would be a massive exercise but alot of tourists go to Glenelg and I can see it being a smash hit if they actually spend some capital on it.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by crawf » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Remember people once the new hospital is complete and most of the RAH site is demolished and made apart of the Botanic Gardens. Those older buildings could be incorporated into a foreign university or public museums with cafes and restaurants etc...

The RAH site development could really make up for not having a culture or sporting precinct on the railway yards site. But thats still at least 8 years away.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#75 Post by Cruise » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:31 pm

Omicron wrote:
Cruise wrote:or we could try and get the F1 GP back, not all cities have one of those!!!
On a side note, I watched the Durban A1 GP last night, and it made me realise the merits of the Adelaide street circuit - theirs was nothing more than tiny little concrete driveways going through carparks, although the nonsensical first-corner hairpin was the source of much amusement as everyone forgot that steering wheels are for turning and ploughed straight into each other.

I saw that too!!! I had never heard of Durban before until i saw that race and it looks like a nice city. how many people do you think would have said the same about Adelaide when we had the F1 GP?
Last edited by Cruise on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.