News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
david
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

#2716 Post by david » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:06 pm

Notes from Councillor David Plumridge - Issue 118
Notes from Councillor Issue 118.pdf
(616.84 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
David Plumridge AM
Councillor
City of Adelaide

VOTE 1 DAVID PLUMRIDGE
FOR AREA COUNCILLOR

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#2717 Post by Dvious » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:11 am

Thankyou for your time David, i do however have a few questions in response to your council meeting.

You mentioned your DPA was dismissed by the Minister for Planning which i am aware you are all disappointed about, however, i am curious as to what heritage listed places you refer to that are under risk?

I am also interested to know what changes the Minister for Planning has made for both the streets and residential areas of our city? As far as i am aware, the city has never been so positive in regards to new developments and i feel that the progress of our city has grown 10 fold in the last 2-3 years. I'm starting to feel like you and the council are expressing your opposition to high-rise developments, a very NIMBY attitude which many of us here disapprove of.

And lastly you make mention of medium-density, which i am happy for, but are you expressing that you would rather see our city littered with 5-6 storey buildings [take ergo], as opposed to 20-40 storey developments [vue]? I think we can have a healthy balance of both.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2718 Post by Nathan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:24 am

Dvious wrote:Thankyou for your time David, i do however have a few questions in response to your council meeting.

You mentioned your DPA was dismissed by the Minister for Planning which i am aware you are all disappointed about, however, i am curious as to what heritage listed places you refer to that are under risk?

I am also interested to know what changes the Minister for Planning has made for both the streets and residential areas of our city? As far as i am aware, the city has never been so positive in regards to new developments and i feel that the progress of our city has grown 10 fold in the last 2-3 years. I'm starting to feel like you and the council are expressing your opposition to high-rise developments, a very NIMBY attitude which many of us here disapprove of.

And lastly you make mention of medium-density, which i am happy for, but are you expressing that you would rather see our city littered with 5-6 storey buildings [take ergo], as opposed to 20-40 storey developments [vue]? I think we can have a healthy balance of both.
I believe it's more in reference to the residential areas, such as the south east corner. The apartment building proposed for East Tce being an example.

david
High Rise Poster!

#2719 Post by david » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:10 pm

The problem with the Heritage DPA is that a number of important structures in the Park Lands are not protected and although many are owned by the Council or by the government that is no guarantee of long-term protection; also let us not forget there are many university and institutional buildings on Park Lands including such places as the old Gaol and the signal box in the railway yards. The Park Lands are on the National Heritage List and we think it is important to complement and strengthen that with the formal listing of heritage places in the Park Lands.

Regarding height limits in the city DPAs - Nathan has my position pretty right. I believe that the sky should be the limit in the central CBD area, what used to be called the Core but that as we move from the core heights should be less and probably a general height of 5-6 stories is about right. Perhaps there is merit in a slight uplift around the squares and on the terraces. It is important to maintain the social fabric of the city and to respect such things as overshadowing and loss of privacy and solar access. An overall density of 5 stories across the southern parts of the city would give massive increase in population capacity with good opportunities for affordable housing whilst preserving much of the character and the heritage of the city.

The biggest threat to the city lies in the toxic Catalyst Site provisions which are supposed to be design-driven but which so far have left much to be desired and which seriously impact on the localities in which they can occur - out of the blue with no regard to their impact on neighbouring properties and communities.

David

david
High Rise Poster!

#2720 Post by david » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:40 pm

u]Notes from Coucillor David Plumridge's Desk - Issue 119[/u]

- Trouble in thePark lands

- The Fuure of Planing in Adelaide - Is it time for a Change?

Decisions from Council Meeting 9 September 2014
Notes from Councillor Issue 119.pdf
(99.18 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Daid Plumridge AM
Area Councillor,
CITY OF ADELAIDE

Nathan

#2721 Post by Nathan » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi David,

Just a query on one council meeting items:
5.11 Council resolved to support in principle Renewal SA’s proposals to redevelop the Park Lands opposite Bowden.
The plans include a community garden, playground, car parking and new clubrooms for the Blues Soccer Club. Council will
maintain the new areas subject to an increase in the Annual Park Lands Funding deed from the State Government.

This sounds significantly watered down from the original proposal (still seen on Renewal SA's page for the project: http://www.renewalsa.sa.gov.au/Portals/ ... ingles.pdf). Is that the case? If so, that's quite disappointing.

david
High Rise Poster!

#2722 Post by david » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:36 pm

Yes it is somewhat reduced in scope but I am not sure I can tell you the details.
I will heck it out and do another post.

I know the bridge over Park Terrace is not fundeded and the possible undrgrounding of the railway is not on the current plans.

It is still a reasonably comprehensive recreational space to service the needs of the growing Bowden community and does include all the features you listed including a quite large communuty garden.

David

david
High Rise Poster!

#2723 Post by david » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:52 pm

Re Bowden Park Lands - Further Advice

Park Lands opposite Bowden Development
Extract from Adelaide Park Lands Authority Meeting August 28 2014 – Item 10 (Page 89)
19. The revised Master Plan (provided as Attachment B and also shown in Figure 2) is a rationalised version of that presented in December 2012 and is no longer reliant on the undergrounding of the Outer Harbour rail line.
The key changes are:
1. 19.1. Demolition of the existing soccer clubrooms and replacement with a new facility located at the eastern end of the playing fields (along with a realignment of the playing fields);
2. 19.2. A scaled back community garden, reduced from 11,000 sqm to a maximum of 1800 sqm to avoid likely contamination from previous rail activity;
3. 19.3. North Adelaide Station Road being closed and reconfigured into a landscaped car park that is approximately 30 sqm larger than at present and accommodates 50 cars (5 more than currently offered);
4. 19.4. Incorporation of the Adelaide Park Lands Trail;
5. 19.5. A jogging track;
6. 19.6. A small youth space with a street-course style, entry-level skate park;
7. 19.7. Indigenous flora display garden;
8. 19.8. A nature play area;
9. 19.9. Picnic facilities, shelter and play area; and
10. 19.10. Basketball and tennis courts.

I hope this helps,
David

Nathan

#2724 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks David.

11,000sqm to 1,800sqm is quite a scaling back of the garden! Glad at least something is going ahead though, and I assume whilst not included in the plan, that they've made provision if/when the pedestrian bridge and undergrounding/removal of the rail line proceed.

Edit: Ah, managed to dig the plans out of the City Planning & Development Committee Agenda for Sept 2.

http://nathanadams.net/shoebox/bowden-parklands.pdf

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2725 Post by Vee » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:42 pm

Five candidates to contest the Adelaide lord mayor contest.
Diverse views, vision, experience in this group!!!

This is an extremely important election for the future direction of our city.
What role will the local media, eg the Murdoch dominated press, play?
And social media?
Five argue policy on Rundle Mall, Victoria Square and bicycle lanes
The high-profile job of Adelaide lord mayor can be decided by surprisingly few people if the last council election is anything to go by.

Of about 23,000 people registered to vote in the Adelaide City Council region in 2010, only about 7,000 actually did.

The underdog, Stephen Yarwood, won the job of Lord Mayor and now wants another term.
"In the last election, certainly, I wasn't given much chance of winning so it was literally just a few seconds [after knocking on a door] to find out what was important to people and give them an argument for why I should be Lord Mayor," he said.

"This time the Lord Mayor knocks on the door and it's a whole different conversation."
Mr Yarwood is not the only candidate busy door knocking in the city and North Adelaide.

Five candidates will contest the job at this year's local government election, with postal voting to close in the first week of November.

Mark Hamilton is a lawyer, business owner and has experience as a city councillor.
After his long involvement with local government, he said the time was right to run for lord mayor.

"I'm very passionate about the City of Adelaide, including North Adelaide and of course the parklands, and I want to try to use the experience I've got to make Adelaide a better place," Mr Hamilton said.

Also running is Michael Henningsen, an orthopaedic surgeon and councillor for two terms.
He said he was tired of seeing the city council's budget spent on big developments at the expense of important maintenance.

"I'm really about a steady pair of hands at the tiller. I'm a man who's fiscally prudent and I've seen a number of examples of waste in the council," he said.

The fourth man in the contest is Martin Haese, a business owner and former Rundle Mall Management Authority general manager.
"One thing that's been lacking in town hall is any sense of business acumen. That's what I'm going to bring to the table," Mr Haese said.

A last-minute nominee when the deadline arrived this week was Kelly Henderson, who has been involved in the Parklands Preservation Association and the National Trust.

"I'm not running on a single platform of environment or parklands, I'm concerned with becoming an advocate for smart growth and how historic preservation is a key way to deliver smart growth to the city as well as an economic driver and an incubator for small business," she said.

Mr Yarwood's first term as Lord Mayor has had its share of controversy.
Major developments in Victoria Square, Rundle Mall and putting a bike lane in Frome Street have polarised people.

Those issues are tipped to be the deciders as people cast their votes.

7.30 SA asked the candidates their views
.... check the ABC article below for summaries of candidates views (on the 'main issues' identified here) and or watch ABC 7.30pm, Friday night.

ABC News:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-09-19/a ... es/5750354

metro
Legendary Member!

#2726 Post by metro » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 pm

Yarwood has delivered some fantastic things that have greatly changed and improved the city: Victoria Square, Rundle Mall, cycling infrastructure, other little things like the white fairy lights in trees. I think he certainly deserves a 2nd term, none of the other candidates seem any good, Haese and Hamilton are both motoring enthusiasts so that probably means more Uparks will be built if either are elected, and the Frome St cycleway will definitely be removed :roll:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2727 Post by Will » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:39 pm

It looks like the race for Lord Mayor is essentially between Yarwood and the Adelaide Club.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2728 Post by monotonehell » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:58 pm

metro wrote:Yarwood has delivered some fantastic things that have greatly changed and improved the city: Victoria Square, Rundle Mall, cycling infrastructure, other little things like the white fairy lights in trees. I think he certainly deserves a 2nd term, none of the other candidates seem any good, Haese and Hamilton are both motoring enthusiasts so that probably means more Uparks will be built if either are elected, and the Frome St cycleway will definitely be removed :roll:
^ this.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2729 Post by Matt » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:38 pm

God, I hope Yarwood is reelected.
Faces a big obstacle in The Traumatiser though - expecting them to do a few more hatchet jobs on him yet.

[Shuz]

#2730 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:40 am

One advantage is that Yarwood's name stands out from the rest of the other Lord Mayoral candidates. Their last names all start with H.

He also has the advantage of incumbency. People know who he is, whether you like him or not. Better the devil you know than you don't.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.