News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
david
High Rise Poster!

Re: News: Adelaide City Council

#1681 Post by david » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Council is about to call again for registrations of interest for the use of the Bus Station tenancy space in Grote St.

I am not sure what 'capatilist' means by our new position on licences, but I think it is most unlikely that we would support extended trading hours on that site or anything outside our current liquor licensing policy.

I believe there may well be some quite exciting ideas out there including possibly an Environmental Demonstration Interactive site to showcase Council and community actions to combat global warming.
Watch that space!

Councillor David Plumridge
Deputy Lord Mayor

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1682 Post by Queen Anne » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:43 pm

david wrote:Hi Queen Anne,

Perhaps my labelling of consultation as a "tokenistic process of public scrutiny" was a little harsh but when you see how many well-reasoned submissions that are peremptorily dismissed by Council you would understand my somewhat cynical view of the consultation processes of Council! ( perhaps I have been around for a few too many years)

The kind of consultations I would question would be on leases and licences of sporting areas, one-off events (I have yet to see ONE event changed as a result of submissions) and other routine things that do not have much impact beyond the city limits.

The important things like budgets, business and strategic plans and consultations on subjects like the Central Market certainly warrant consultation with the wider community. We also need to find new and smarter ways to seek opinions, especially adopting some of the smarter technologies that are now available to us.

David
Thank you for replying :) I understand your position better now, and I can see your point.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#1683 Post by Professor » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:05 am

I believe there may well be some quite exciting ideas out there including possibly an Environmental Demonstration Interactive site to showcase Council and community actions to combat global warming.
Watch that space!....

Good grief. So instead of a Vili's or similar facility, where there would be a revenue stream and the attraction of commerce and "life" into the city we look forward to a taxpayer funded interactive site on global warming? That's exciting? I am speechless.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1684 Post by Pants » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 am

Professor wrote:That's exciting? I am speechless.
I was seconds away from posting the same thing yesterday, but thought better of it out of respect.

Now that you've paved the way...

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1685 Post by Vee » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Pants wrote:
Professor wrote:That's exciting? I am speechless.
I was seconds away from posting the same thing yesterday, but thought better of it out of respect.
Now that you've paved the way...
You're not alone in being speechless!

The Adelaide Central bus station is crying out for a lively, extended hours cafe along the lines of the successful Vili's cafe or similar enterprise. This would be welcomed by travellers and also inject some extra buzz into the area, especially after hours. (Shades of the iconic Pie Cart!!)

The "interactive feature" sounds like it would better complement the activities of the Ri Aus Science Exchange building. In terms of priorities, this would be way down the list.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1686 Post by Pikey » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:16 pm

I was going to post last night that I could think of better ways of spending money rather than create an interactive "pat on the back to the council" demonstration...
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

david
High Rise Poster!

#1687 Post by david » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:01 am

Re Grote Street tenancy.................
It seemed like a good idea to me at the time! Perhaps I got it wrong or more likely I didn't do the proposal justice. I am sure the proponents will do a better job!

I happen to think that whatever the Council can do to support community groups who are working to achieve climate change actions, reducing our energy use and our carbon footprint is worth doing.

Council itself is on target to be carbon neutral by 2020 but now we have to plan and work towards the whole community meeting the same targets.

David

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1688 Post by Ben » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi Councilors,

Just wondering about the new fences down the median strip of Grenfell. What are there purpose and will these extend down the entire street?

I Personally think it detracts from the already poor amenity of the street.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#1689 Post by Prince George » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Ben wrote:Hi Councilors,

Just wondering about the new fences down the median strip of Grenfell. What are there purpose and will these extend down the entire street?

I Personally think it detracts from the already poor amenity of the street.
Further to Ben's question, I am particularly curious to know what the IDC had to say on the matter.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1690 Post by AtD » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:02 pm

This sounds like a bad outcome. Who put it there, the council or DTEI?

Thinker in Residence Fred Hansen on one hand is calling for Grenfell Street to made more open and pedestrian friendly, and on the other hand we now have a fence saying "you shall not pass!"

Do pedestrian fences really improve safety? Can we control people’s desire to wonder or take short cuts with signs, fences and laws? If you sit and watch the area, how many people ignore the fence and walk along it on the road? Is this a safer outcome?

If the road is unsafe, lower the speed limit. Drivers should take into account that Grenfell Street is a busy pedestrian area and adjust their driving habits accordingly. Fencing off the road reinforces the view that the road is only for cars and no one else can use it. Green light? Foot down! It’s like putting blinkers on a horse.

London is in the middle of a project removing unnecessary clutter like this from its streets. It's a shame we appear to be moving in the opposite direction.
http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/ ... treets.pdf

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1691 Post by Wayno » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:35 pm

I believe the fence is positioned to stop pedestrians from crossing at the point where they would walk direct into traffic exiting the car park. Maybe someone was hurt recently?

Agree the fence should not be extended.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1692 Post by metro » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:16 pm

i already hate the fence. But what's next? narrowing of the footpaths to squeeze another lane of traffic in? :roll:

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1693 Post by Brando » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Guys, i'm sure this is just a safety measure. I drove past last night and it looks like they are just trying to prevent pedestrians crossing in that particular zone while construction is going on. Foot traffic on Harris Scarfe side will have to shift around construction barricades. Once these are in place anyone crossing the road in this area will not be able to get directly on to the footpath and will pose a danger to traffic.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1694 Post by crawf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:12 pm

I think Brando is right, the fence has only been installed infront of the old Harris Scarfe store. While temporary fences have started to be installed alongside the construction the site and the G2/G3 bus stop has now been moved further up Grenfell Street. They aren't mucking around with this.

Though to be honest the black fence in the median strip doesn't look that bad. I actually think it makes a slight improvement to the drab streetscape.

metro
Legendary Member!

#1695 Post by metro » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:29 pm

ok if it's construction related, why didnt a fence get put in the middle of King William st when they built city central or conservatory on hindmarsh? :sly: