News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide City Council

Post by SBD »

mshagg wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:23 am
The likelihood of state govt intervention seems unlikely given the current party's vision for transportation in South Australia seems to also revolve around single occupant vehicles. How many hundreds of millions of dollars are they spending to add a few turning lanes here and there?

That and city council also seems to be a graduating step between practising law and getting parachuted into the state duma.
Most bikes are single occupant vehicles, and you can fit more of them on a road or parking area.

The bikeway adjacent to the Northern Connector might have been Labor's plan, but I think it was the current government that extended it to Port Adelaide. I guess it's a matter of perspective whether this is to make cyclists safer or remove the need for drivers on the PWE to watch for cyclists. It was Labor in government who decided that the road shoulders were the best place for cyclists on that road without even marked bike lanes across exit/entrance ramps.

I don't know what they have or haven't done for cycling near the Southern Expressway extension or Tonsley railway extension.
metro
Legendary Member!

Post by metro »

Meanwhile in places that don't have loser councils:

https://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/lis ... ycling-map

https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/buildi ... lanes.aspx

Has the ACC even completed a North-South bikeway yet? :roll:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

metro wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:03 pm
Has the ACC even completed a North-South bikeway yet? :roll:
Apparently construction on one block means you can't even plan the rest of the route, let alone build it. :banana:
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Excellent opinion piece by David Washington over at InDaily.
https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2021/03/ ... row-minds/
omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by omada »

I called the ACC seeking an explanation for the decision, the customer service person politely suggested that I refer to the meeting minutes before seeking further explanation, apparently these will be uploaded to the ACC webpage at around 2pm today.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Interesting comment from Cr Mackie:
So why, despite being an elected member who advocates bicycle friendly planning, did I vote this motion down, when it was already known that the dominant faction and presiding member intended to kill it off? Simple – confidential, last-minute legal advice. To say more would see me break the law.
Llessur2002

Post by Llessur2002 »

The plot thickens...

I guess this is what we get for having such a low residential population in the CBD. I wonder what the percentages are for ratepayers eligible to vote in ACC elections in terms of residents vs business owners? Presumably the latter as far less interested in general amenity and will largely vote for candidates supporting cheap and plentiful car parking and easy private car access.
Nort

Post by Nort »

Nathan wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:46 pm
Interesting comment from Cr Mackie:
So why, despite being an elected member who advocates bicycle friendly planning, did I vote this motion down, when it was already known that the dominant faction and presiding member intended to kill it off? Simple – confidential, last-minute legal advice. To say more would see me break the law.
It's a bloody bike lane. All I can imagine is that they received some form of advice on how much the lawsuit would likely cost them to fight?

Nonetheless, unless they have a good public reason for voting against this, then they deserve calling it. That "confidential, last-minute legal advice" clearly wasn't scary enough to deter all the members of the council.
Algernon
Legendary Member!

Post by Algernon »

:lol:
mshagg
Legendary Member!

Post by mshagg »

Easy enough solution. Compensate them for the loss of the on street parking.

And then charge them for use of the ones that remain...
jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by jk1237 »

so what is the actual point of the council? The Team Adelaide creeps are purely on the council as a stepping stone into the state or fed LNP. They have no interest in our city or making it better, they are only councillors as a start to their conservative political careers. Because of their bullshit ideologies, they deem cycling as 'left wing' so they were always going to vote this down right from the start, no matter the positives of the bike lane. So again, we have the actual ACC that employ transport designers/engineers/planners that probably would have encouraged the building of the bike lane, but what on earth is the point of this when we have a bunch of councillors that won't actual listen to the experts, that are voted in by a couple of hundred friends. They need to be disbanded ASAP
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Post by rev »

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 63ae3941ef
Adelaide City Councillor Anne Moran threatens legal action to stop her emails being read aloud in council chamber

Veteran councillor Anne Moran has intervened as a fellow member tried to present 170 emails of her name-calling and allegedly harassing him and other staff.
Colin James
@ColinJamesTiser
3 min read
April 13, 2021 - 10:49PM

A long-serving councillor accused of sending abusive emails has stopped them being read out during a meeting.

North Adelaide resident Anne Moran threatened during a council meeting on Tuesday night to take legal action if Team Adelaide faction leader Alexander Hyde continued reading emails sent to councillors and senior staff.

Cr Hyde attempted to table 170 of Ms Moran’s emails before Lord Mayor Sandy Verschoor was advised by governance staff to scrutinise their content first.

The move came as councillors debated staff recommendations about tackling bad behaviour, including restricting contact between elected members and staff.

Changes to the council’s code of conduct were formulated by acting chief executive Clare Mockler following a confidential investigation by an Adelaide law firm, EMA Legal, into allegations of bullying and harassment of staff.

Cr Hyde said the public needed to know the extent of the poor behaviour which was occurring within the council.

“We have all seen the awful harassment and bullying of staff, and others on council like myself,” he said.

“It is precisely why Deputy Lord Mayor (Mary) Couros and I called for this investigation to be undertaken.”

Cr Hyde said he had been described by Cr Moran in emails as “a loser”, “cringe-worthy”, “a lightweight who should zip it”, “rude little shorty”, “tool”, “Napoleon” and “distasteful”.

Cr Hyde said he wanted action taken against bad behaviour within the council because it was creating dysfunction.

“I am worried about ratepayers, I am worried about delivering for them, I am worried about staff,” he said.

Cr Moran interrupted, demanding Cr Hyde should stop because the emails were private.

“Isn’t this a whole motion to stop bullying,” she said. “He is bullying me now.”

Ms Verschoor ordered Cr Hyde to stop reading out the emails until they had been studied by council governance staff.

He responded by saying he was trying to expose the toxic culture within the council.

“This is just the tip of the iceberg,” he said.

“There are hundreds and hundreds of them.

“I am trying to pierce the veil so the public can see the rot in this place.”

Cr Moran said she would take legal action if Cr Hyde continued.

“He has defamed me, he has insulted me and he has held my mental health up to public ridicule,” she said.

Cr Moran had earlier told the debate that the culture within council was the worst she had seen in her 26 years on council.

“The behaviour by some councillors has certainly been challenging and I, as a long term councillor, I can assure the young councillors that has certainly challenged my mental health and my wellbeing,” she said.

“I have never seen anything like it on my time on council.”

Cr Moran said she acknowledged she “might not be the sharpest tool in the shed or sharpest politician” but she knew what a “good council looks like and what good behaviour looks like”.

“This certainly looks nothing like that,” she said.

Cr Moran said she supported action being taken to improve the behaviour of councillors.

“I am sick and tired of the personal abuse, I am sick and tired of being bullied and I am sick and tired of this chamber.”

Cr Couros said she had sought the report by EMA Legal because she was “shocked” by “totally inappropriate emails” she had seen sent by some councillors to staff.

“I was shocked at the way that senior members of council spoke in emails to not only other elected members but also to administration,” she said.

“You would not get away with that in the private sector.

“Honestly, it is shameful, it is embarrassing, it gobsmacked me and it interfered with my own mental health because I could not understand how this is possible in local government.”

Cr Couros said space had to be put between elected members and the administration.

“Honestly, the behaviour is appalling,” she said.

Cr Couros said ratepayers were fed up with hearing about “the crap” coming out of the council.

“We are here as elected representatives, we are here for ratepayers, we are here to do a job,” she said.

“I am using that word because I don’t know what other word to call it.”

Cr Arman Abrahamzideh said “bad things” had happened during email exchanges within the council and, on occasions, he had “felt it necessary to intervene”.

“I have seen countless emails where abuse has been perpetrated by senior members in this chamber towards staff and towards other elected members,” he said.

“We need to call this behaviour out, stamp it out and get rid of it.”

Cr Moran and eight other councillors voted for the measures proposed by Ms Mockler to improve behaviour. Cr Phillip Martin voted against.
Just abolish the ACC already. It can be the first step in abolishing all councils.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by Norman »

I would rather question why The Advertiser is happy to commit journalists to this trash and not to more newsworthy stories.

Probably a newsdrop... or maybe trash stories about the City Council get lots of clicks?

How about reporting what's happening with the Riverbank to Market Link? Or the North Terrace footpath upgrade? Or asking the councillors what their overall vision for the city is? Because I would like to know the answers to those questions. But then again, why would they care about the important things?
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Post by rev »

Norman wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 pm
I would rather question why The Advertiser is happy to commit journalists to this trash and not to more newsworthy stories.

Probably a newsdrop... or maybe trash stories about the City Council get lots of clicks?

How about reporting what's happening with the Riverbank to Market Link? Or the North Terrace footpath upgrade? Or asking the councillors what their overall vision for the city is? Because I would like to know the answers to those questions. But then again, why would they care about the important things?
Is there any news on those things for them to report?
Perhaps if councillors were actually pre-occupied with doing what they're supposed to be doing instead of what's mentioned above.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Post by crawf »

Norman wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 pm

Add to that, where is the plan to overhaul Grenfell/Currie Street. The paving, lighting, the whole streetscrape is deplorable and an embarrassment. I walked along Grenfell on Saturday night a few weeks ago and the lighting was so extremely poor, very unsafe. Not to mention with Sofitel and soon Wyndham Grand and QT eventually opening on Grenfell, the street needs serious investment