News & Discussion: Heritage Buildings

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
arki
High Rise Poster!

Historic shopfront restoration thread

#136 Post by arki » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:01 pm

Following the article on AdelaideNow driven by our favourite Cr Sandy Wilkinson, I decided to open a thread regarding the historic shopfronts of our CBD which are actually still intact but just covered up behind iron and brick.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/testing/s ... 6073023651

I am wondering how many actual buildings exist like this in our CBD and whether or not all the buildings featured in the photos on AdelaideNow are actually just hidden under their ugly modern cladding?

Historic Adelaide shopfronts to be revealed again
Alice Monfries From: AdelaideNow June 12, 2011 12:00am

IT'S the Adelaide you've forgotten - or perhaps never seen.

The original facades of many of the city's historic buildings are hidden away behind "ugly iron cladding", put up in the 1960s and '70s when a more modern, simple look was in vogue.

Now an Adelaide City Council scheme is seeking to uncover the Adelaide of old, by chipping in funds to encourage property owners to strip back dated frontages and restore the original architecture.

Through its Historic Facade Restoration Scheme, approved this week, the council will split restoration costs 50-50 with property owners, with grants up to $50,000.

It has allocated $250,000 for the scheme, with the aim of restoring at least five historic facades in the next financial year, and will look to expand the budget the following year.

Councillor Sandy Wilkinson said the project would target buildings in Rundle Mall, Rundle St and Hindley St.

Buildings in Hutt St, Gouger St and O'Connell St, North Adelaide, would also be eligible.

Cr Wilkinson, who has over the past 18 months researched records of many original facades and complied photos of their current frontages, said the scheme would be "like unwrapping presents".

"I've searched the council archives ... and I could see from those architectural drawings that many buildings have the original facade all intact behind (the iron frontage)," he said.

"People didn't appreciate architecture back then; they wished they had modern buildings so they clad over what they thought was a dowdy, old tired building to make it look like a modern, new building."

Cr Wilkinson said the 1998 restoration of Beehive Corner, on the corner of Rundle Mall and King William St, was a great example of how restoring original facades could generate economic and tourism benefits for the city.

"By capitalising on the historic buildings, restoring and improving them and then floodlighting them at night, that would make the streets shine," he said.

"It would set Rundle Mall apart from any Westfield ... and allow Rundle and Hindley streets to draw labels that aren't in suburban shopping centres because they're more likely to be attracted to beautiful historic buildings.

"At the moment Hindley St buildings just look downtrodden and dumpy."

The scheme requires property owners to sign a land-management agreement, agreeing not to knock down the building after receiving $50,000 from the council to restore it.

"They spend $100,000, they get $50,000 back from (the) council and their building goes from looking like a B Grade or C Grade building to a premium, prestige building," Cr Wilkinson said. "It's massive improvement potential for relatively little dollars.

"And once you've restored a building, they're done once, they're done forever."
Full interactive article below;
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/testing/s ... 6073023651

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

Re: Historic shopfront restoration thread

#137 Post by baytram366 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:59 pm

I read about this happening in North Adelaide as well - people getting some extra funding to restore their homes and remove any later "modern" additions. Very exciting project to unearth a hidden side of Adelaide.
I am sure I have seen heaps of examples - three that spring to mind are on Flinders Street, City, Hackney / Botanic Roads and on Woodville Road. All have had aweful extentions placed on the front of them hiding the original frontage.
Hopefully we may see some process soon from this project.
Last edited by baytram366 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#138 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:30 pm

ACC's Heritage Incentive Scheme offers something similar to this proposal at a residential level. Approved restoration work, usually to facades, is part funded by ACC. The scheme works very well, and tends to add more value to the properties involved than the total cost of the restorations.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#139 Post by Will » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:45 pm

This initiative by the ACC got me thinking, and I have done a bit of research regarding Hindley Street, and have found these beauties behind the current ugly facades:

Current facade:

Historic facade underneath:

Current facade:

Current facade:

Current facade:

Current facade:

historic facade underneath:

Current facade:

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#140 Post by Nathan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:05 am

That Civic facade looks great! Are you sure it's still there's under the current facade? Going by the windows on the current facade, surely they must have had to remove at least some of the historic one.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#141 Post by SRW » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Restoring some of these would make such a huge difference to the Hindley streetscape. I hope the building owners can be persuaded.
Keep Adelaide Weird

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#142 Post by monotonehell » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:49 pm

Will some of those historic facades are no longer underneath.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

Re: Gallerie Arcade

#143 Post by baytram366 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread but is there anything happening at this site anymore? I am guessing since the photos were taken from page 1 in 2005, the interior has been gutted?
I have some older photos from the 1970's at home that once I find I will have to scan to share but in the meantime, there is something very interesting about this fantastic looking building
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Tommy WM
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#144 Post by Tommy WM » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi everyone....I'm a long time follower of this forum but only just became a member. I work at Woolies on Rundle Mall and we share an alleyway (Fisher Place) with the Gallerie Arcade. Pretty much since late September there has been a fair bit of work going on in the building. At the end of November Adelaide Uni even held a function there for their graduating architecture students. The entire building is gutted and from what I could briefly see, they've got that old warehouse/graffiti walled type of thing happening. When people are there at night we can even see directly into the building from our second and third floors. The Tuxedo Cat next door at the old Club 199 building is also operating in the back section of the arcade. I think during the Fringe that will be the main entrance and then feed into the Gallerie building. I'll try and take a few photos next time I see some action.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

Gallerie Arcade

#145 Post by dsriggs » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:00 pm

You can actually see into the arcade from North Tce now. It ain't pretty.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325759400.887752.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325759400.887752.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 4469 times

Nathan

#146 Post by Nathan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:39 am

It's actually pretty cool inside, in a rundown sort of way.

The Eclective wedding expo will be held in The Gallerie on February 19.
http://www.theeclective.com.au/

Having gone to their inaugural even last year in the Queens Theatre, it's an excellent event, focussed on suppliers for people who don't want a normal run-of-the-mill wedding. (And funnily enough, that's me and my fiancé in the first photograph on the website!)

jspaceman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#147 Post by jspaceman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:00 pm

Hello,

I am very curious about the gallerie basement. Does anyone know what shape the basement is in (where the food court was)? I went there today and there is work going on inside the ground floor but you can't see the old escalators anymore. Is it possible that the entire food court is still down there, as it was when they shut the doors? It was a huge space and it's unbelievable that it has been vacant for so long. Surely, someone has got to know the story? Anyone?

J

Nathan

#148 Post by Nathan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:36 pm

jspaceman wrote:Hello,

I am very curious about the gallerie basement. Does anyone know what shape the basement is in (where the food court was)? I went there today and there is work going on inside the ground floor but you can't see the old escalators anymore. Is it possible that the entire food court is still down there, as it was when they shut the doors? It was a huge space and it's unbelievable that it has been vacant for so long. Surely, someone has got to know the story? Anyone?

J
Via: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 108&type=1

I remember them posting a shot where you could see the bottom of where those escalators were, but can't seem to track it down.

jspaceman
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#149 Post by jspaceman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Nathan wrote:
jspaceman wrote:Hello,

J
Via: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 108&type=1

I remember them posting a shot where you could see the bottom of where those escalators were, but can't seem to track it down.
Thanks for that. It seems it has indeed been gutted. I think I might check out the expo to have a look down there.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#150 Post by jk1237 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:11 pm

just had a look at the Tuxedo Cat fringe bar on my way home from work about an hour ago. Really interesting, recommend people have a look and chill out in the bar with a berr. They had a market in there today so it was busy, the bar is done up alternative, they have done the laneway up also. I didnt get to see the former Club 199 bar because all the action was next door in the Gallerie arcade.

Atleast the Tuxedo Cat still uphold the values of the Fringe compared to the money hungry mainstream garden circus in the east end