[PRO] Masonic Lodge | 183m | 37 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Jaymz
Legendary Member!

[PRO] Re: Masonic Lodge | 160m | 39lvls | Mixed Use | NEW TALLEST

#196 Post by Jaymz » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:20 pm

brizzlar wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:39 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:48 pm
Just putting it out there, seeing as everyone is wetting their pants over an increase in height for our skyline that there has to be a demand for whatever the purpose of the building; and further to that at the present moment, it's probably quicker and therefore cheaper to build a stumpy building over the mass of under-utilised CBD blocks than it is to go through what seems like an endless process of negotiation just to have a building any taller that what Adelaide has already seen. Whilst further commercial office space is not necessary, student accommodation is in abundance and at the present moment virtually useless, hotels are a also in abundance and the tourism industry is in a form of moderate hibernation, and apartment living is still not a preferred (or even necessary) choice in Adelaide. What reason do we have other than tokenism to build something 140m+? Really, it just ends up being a smokescreen for the fact that our economy has flatlined.
Yeah I don't think it's about necessity as much as creating potential. Whether people like it or not, skyscrapers are often considered the mark of a world city. If Adelaide wants to regain the relative importance it once enjoyed in the 70s and 80s, this is one thing it needs to embrace. Additionally, there is some truth to the old adage 'build it and they will come' - if companies see that Adelaide is turning a new leaf and finally catching up to the other big 5, they're more likely to invest. The same goes for individuals who want to be in a city that's moving forward. I acknowledge that not everyone has such a mindset, but many do.
There's no "thanks" button anymore. But I would press it for this post.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#197 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:05 pm

That leads me to ask re the Festival Plaza 27 storey office block. Why would he build it if there is an over supply and his main prospective tenants signed up at the Southern Cross site.?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#198 Post by SRW » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:12 pm

citywatcher wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:05 pm
That leads me to ask re the Festival Plaza 27 storey office block. Why would he build it if there is an over supply and his main prospective tenants signed up at the Southern Cross site.?

Because Walker got the land essentially for free.

But your point about demand is sound. We've seemingly all forgotten Samaras' Wakefield St tower has sat vacant for nearly a year. Which is to say nothing about empty lower grade stock throughout the city.
Keep Adelaide Weird

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#199 Post by gnrc_louis » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:26 pm

SRW wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:12 pm
citywatcher wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:05 pm

Because Walker got the land essentially for free.

But your point about demand is sound. We've seemingly all forgotten Samaras' Wakefield St tower has sat vacant for nearly a year. Which is to say nothing about empty lower grade stock throughout the city.
Another example is the fact 115 KWS still isn't fully leased yet and is at around 60% occupancy.

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#200 Post by citywatcher » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:40 pm

Is the State Govt committed to this tower meaning Walker gets his money regardless. .? Surely they didn't completely expose themselves to a project that could lie mostly empty for years ? Or will they wait as long as it takes to get a reasonable pre commitment?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#201 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:50 pm

Jaymz wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:20 pm
brizzlar wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:39 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:48 pm
Just putting it out there, seeing as everyone is wetting their pants over an increase in height for our skyline that there has to be a demand for whatever the purpose of the building; and further to that at the present moment, it's probably quicker and therefore cheaper to build a stumpy building over the mass of under-utilised CBD blocks than it is to go through what seems like an endless process of negotiation just to have a building any taller that what Adelaide has already seen. Whilst further commercial office space is not necessary, student accommodation is in abundance and at the present moment virtually useless, hotels are a also in abundance and the tourism industry is in a form of moderate hibernation, and apartment living is still not a preferred (or even necessary) choice in Adelaide. What reason do we have other than tokenism to build something 140m+? Really, it just ends up being a smokescreen for the fact that our economy has flatlined.
Yeah I don't think it's about necessity as much as creating potential. Whether people like it or not, skyscrapers are often considered the mark of a world city. If Adelaide wants to regain the relative importance it once enjoyed in the 70s and 80s, this is one thing it needs to embrace. Additionally, there is some truth to the old adage 'build it and they will come' - if companies see that Adelaide is turning a new leaf and finally catching up to the other big 5, they're more likely to invest. The same goes for individuals who want to be in a city that's moving forward. I acknowledge that not everyone has such a mindset, but many do.
There's no "thanks" button anymore. But I would press it for this post.
I'm sorry, but I call bullshit on that. Skyscraper being the mark of a world city? I suppose Rome has a massive skyline? Or Edinburgh perhaps? Hell, have you seen Montreal's skyline? HUGE! Skylines don't make world cities, unique offerings and liveability make world cities. I will be the first to admit that Adelaide seriously needs to improve on its business sector offerings, be that through the removal or red-tape or creating more Lot 14 type precincts. But people are kidding themselves if they think we're ever going to resemble the type of world city that Melbourne or Sydney are. Adelaide might as well position itself in its own light, a boutique city churning out world firsts. Now, I love this design and I couldn't think of a better spot for it to go, especially with how it ties in with its heritage front, but I'm also a realist. No amount of 'mixed use' is going to change the facts around my original point... Apartment sales are down, international students residing in Adelaide are minimal, business sector requiring premium office space is non-existent and the hotel market is on the verge of saturation. COVID and the knock on effect is not going to change for at-least a decade, our state would be better off steering away from oversupply and trying to develop new industries that might one day require these types of buildings rather than preempting a flood of grown that hasn't really been sourced and nurtured.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#202 Post by rev » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:25 am

Skyscrapers aren't going to make Adelaide as relevant as it once may have been.
A thriving and growing economy will do that.
Growing our slice of the national economy will make South Australia more relevant.

Nort

#203 Post by Nort » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:51 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:50 pm
our state would be better off steering away from oversupply and trying to develop new industries that might one day require these types of buildings rather than preempting a flood of grown that hasn't really been sourced and nurtured.
So to ask for clarification again, your stance is that the business case (which we haven't seen) for this building doesn't add up and the Freemasons will lose money on the development?

And that instead of developing their land they should invest in other industries?

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#204 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:58 am

Can someone post the
The Advertiser
160m CBD skyscraper plan ‘excessively grandiose’ article please
thankyou

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#205 Post by NTRabbit » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:13 pm

Proposed $120m Freemasons’ skyscraper ‘excessively grandiose, ill defined’, says challenger for SA/NT Grand Master role
The Freemasons’ proposed $120m skyscraper that would be Adelaide’s tallest building has been harshly criticised by the man battling to become the order’s supreme leader.

A proposed 160m-tall skyscraper behind the Freemason’s city hall is “excessively grandiose and ill-defined”, says the man battling to become the order’s supreme leader ahead of a crucial vote on the landmark project.

Gynaecologist Dr Marcin Stankiewicz has questioned the ­viability of an “ill defined” and “highly speculative” $120m tower that, if built, would become Adelaide’s tallest building.

In a letter to his “brethren” announcing his challenge to Free­masons SA/NT Grand Master David Booker, Dr Stankiewicz wrote that he supported development, but it appeared members were being led towards a proposal that is “excessively grandiose … not properly costed and calls upon … technical skills that we do not possess within Freemasonry”.

He wrote that would require the order to hire “external consultants at significant added cost, with no discernible amelioration of risk.”

The Advertiser revealed the Freemasons’ grand vision for their state heritage-listed property in June, which would feature a hotel, student accommodation, office and hospitality spaces, and would be topped with a restaurant and viewing platform.

Dr Stankiewicz said the “next Grand Master” would be charged with “ensuring the building development is one that is actually viable, and will forward the interests of Freemasonry … not further imperil our financial ­position”.

“I believe this will only happen if there is a change in leadership to a proactive Grand Master, who is prepared to personally engage in the process in order to balance a vision for the future (that many of us share) with what is fiscally prudent,” he said.

It was revealed in July last year that Freemasons Hall had “extensive concrete cancer”, and $2.2 million was needed for urgent repairs to address public safety concerns.

A further $6.4 million was needed over the coming decade to bring the building up to modern standards and compliance requirements.

Mr Booker declined to respond to Mr Stankiewicz’s comments.

Freemasons Hall Trust chairman Henry Davis said a final vote on the “exciting” tower development would happen this month after “extensive consultation”.

“While many people are excited by the concept and the many benefits it will bring to the broader community, we accept and acknowledge that some people will have different views,” he said.

“This is to be expected and it is important that all voices are heard in a respectful manner.

“We have engaged leading experts within the broader commercial development sector to scope this project and assess market interest on our behalf, and look forward to all members having their say.”

The head of the Freemasons’ SA/NT philanthropic arm has quit in disgust over comments made by the order’s Grand Master in relation to the $70m charity.

The shock resignation of Masonic Charities’ John ­Behenna on September 6 also came just weeks after the Freemasons removed several of the charity’s board members “without explanation”, sparking a leadership challenge by one ousted member ahead of this month’s election for Grand Master.

Mr Behenna stepped down taking “grave exception” to comments made by Freemasons Grand Master David Booker in an August 31 letter to members in which he had identified “current ­investments” of the charity’s fund that “may not comply with an internal management plan”.

“We have taken steps to resolve this compliance issue and to flag the matter with the regulator,” Mr Booker wrote, in an apparent reference to the Australian Charities and Not-for-Profit Commission.

“It is vital that our charity operates efficiently and takes risks appropriate to a charity focused on income distribution.”

He wrote that the charity’s operating costs had escalated “significantly” by $500,000 from 2019 to 2020, and that charitable income from fundraising was “quite low compared to operating costs”.

In response, Mr Behenna announced his resignation as a “result of the Grand Master’s letter”, adding that he had taken “grave exception” to the “discourse” relating to the charity and the letter’s implications.

“I am unaware of any matters being referred to any ‘body’ responsible for regulating Masonic Charities’ activities,” he wrote to members.

“Furthermore, if such steps had in fact been taken in relation to involving a regulator, I consider this a perplexing and disappointing step in the ­absence of anyone having consulted with me first.”

Mr Behenna, a former chief-of-staff to former state Liberal leader Isobel Redmond, declined to comment when contacted.

Mr Booker, who was appointed Grand Master in April, said the issue raised about Masonic Charities ­related to an internal strategic investment plan.

“This is an internal working document and, as such, ­requires periodic updating. An amended version will be lodged with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission after our review,” he told The Advertiser in a statement.

“It is regrettable that this internal compliance matter was misunderstood by some within our organisation.”

In his letter, Mr Booker said that, in “keeping with the approach” of the previous Grand Master, the board was asked to resign to “allow for growth and renewal”.

“Unfortunately, some members chose not to resign. We had to use powers of the Corporations Act to ensure that the opportunity to support the work of Masonic Charities is shared,” he wrote.

Masonic Charities was created in 2019 with a $50m fund generated from the $75m sale of the not-for-profit Masonic Homes in 2015.

Gynaecologist Marcin Stankiewicz, who was ousted from the charity’s board along with Joe Ienco in July, ­announced his candidacy for Grand Master at this month's election.

Dr Stankiewicz said the “highly successful” board had grown the fund to $70m.

“The sudden, without explanation, replacement of the board of $70m (sic) company cannot but cause a reputational damage and threatens relationships established with its fund managers (an international company) its partners and stakeholders and puts future funding under threat,” he wrote to members.

Mpol02
High Rise Poster!

#206 Post by Mpol02 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:01 pm

And this is why Adelaide can't have nice things. Too grandiose? He's a f****ng freemason for crying out loud. Have you seen their robes? They all walk around like pompous fools. I've had the unfortunate time of having had been their tailor for their Melbourne mob.

This needs to happen. The world spotlight is currently on Adelaide with this new submarine deal. It's making news even over here in central London. Buidligns like this could go a long way to changing peoples views of our city.

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#207 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:45 pm

Mpol02 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:01 pm
And this is why Adelaide can't have nice things. Too grandiose? He's a f****ng freemason for crying out loud. Have you seen their robes? They all walk around like pompous fools. I've had the unfortunate time of having had been their tailor for their Melbourne mob.

This needs to happen. The world spotlight is currently on Adelaide with this new submarine deal. It's making news even over here in central London. Buidligns like this could go a long way to changing peoples views of our city.
WHAT THIS MAN SAID ^^

Jesus christ it pisses me off that there as some winge-bags out there (separate to this) that oppose even a moderate change to the Adelaide skyline that have complained about this. But from what you said, I completely agree he walks around in F****ing silk from head to toe, and says the solution to the Freemason's financial problems is "Too Grandiose". What does he suppose then, setup a cake stall for funds?!?!?

VinyTapestry849
High Rise Poster!

#208 Post by VinyTapestry849 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:57 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:13 pm
Thanks for the article!

Nathan

#209 Post by Nathan » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:17 pm

He's just using the current Grand Master's support for the tower as a reason to oust him.

gnrc_louis
Legendary Member!

#210 Post by gnrc_louis » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:28 pm

Nathan wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:17 pm
He's just using the current Grand Master's support for the tower as a reason to oust him.
Exactly. Seems like pretty obvious political posturing and not much more.